V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard a lot of opinions that bigger is better. i would agree in most cases, but I am not building a big inch beast that requires the increase in oil flow. I am rebuilding a stock evo just to get back on the road and to last for a while. Some tell me to use stock HD lifters with S&S oil pump. My pocket book is hurting a little after an engine over haul. I am leaning more towards Crane lifters with maybe a sifton oil pump. A few have told me Not to use a sifton oil pump as quality has changed. Is this true Can anyone give me some feed back on Sifton oil pumps. What about Revtec. Do they have good pump & lifter set ups for a stock EVO?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The s&s pump is the way to go. It gives 30% more oil flow. I did the k&n oil filter and it does flow beter, but with cold starts the oil goes by the by-pass valve to much for me.
The lest money way is to order a new pump housing from Harley.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'd say to use stock Harley B lifters if you can get a good price.....or Ultima lifters, they're made in USA too and quite inexpensive.

a stock.....or not stock Harley motor doesn't need any more oil than it gets with the stock pump.....you can cause more problems then you'll cure, considering they work fine the way the factory designed them.

all the Sifton stuff is made by tiawan Ted and i personally don't trust it.........when a lifter shyts the bed bad things happen to your motor. Jims stuff is suffering quality control lately and S&S's prices are beyond ludicrous......they farm stuff off shore now too.

here's are some examples i found for you.....and they're not my deal. i posted these for someone else before

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item256b90d02bhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTIMA-HYDR...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20c0f3ed60

i don't know about the Revtech pump, but the only Recktech thing i ever bought is the 5 into 4 case.....and it's excellent. the pump may be fine......the Ultima pump is a good pump and for $160 you can't go wrong........S&S pumps are great, no doubt, but expensive......i run a Vulcan STOCK replacement pump and mine works fine.

if money wasn't an issue i'd say go S&S, but their pumps don't do anything extra you need......and i'd get a stock replacemnt too.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
stock HD pump is great! vulcan is good. theY are ALL GOOD. but anything beyond th ehd pump is $$$$ that could have been spent more smartly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stay away from the Sifton (Tiawan), RevTec (Tiawan), Ultima (China). I would suggest S&S or H-D. Remember the oil pump is the heart of the engine, if it doesn't pump as it should, everything fails. I like the Gaterman lifters made in the states and fairly inexpensive. Have used them in my 97" Axtell Mountain Motor for about 20,000 miles without ANY issues. Just had them out and looked them over and put them back in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
my friend just got the new Revtech from someone and he says the fit and finish is really good....it surprised him......gear to body clearance is much tighter than stock, same as my Vulcan and that's what i attribute the higher than stock pressure to.

it's also the STOCK replacement with all shovel end cap that can be configured different ways, i'm sure they made different versions.....he'll be putting it on his crazy 93" shovel very soon.....i can get some pictures if you want, can't say it'll be tomorrow though.......and you can find these for like $150.

just as an option to consider. i haven't seen it yet.

i have 40+ psi at cold startup with 25/60, hot idle is 8-10 and hot cruisin is 20-25.......i sure don't need more than that......and i'll maintain that no shovel or evo does either.......too much pressure and flow creates oil control issues.....these are tractor motors, not indy cars.

fwiw

1 - 7 of 7 Posts