V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ultra, at first I had the big bore kit put in, then a year later I had a set of Andrews 37 cam put in. From day one it has made what sounds like lifter noise. I had the lifters replaced with new stock lifters. It still make a lot of noise. It was sugested to me to take out the adjustable SE pushrods and go back to the stock pushrods.
Any thoughts to as what else might be the problem if the pushrods don't take care of it?

Thanks Boris

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The lifters.

If the lifters were replaced before HD came out with the -B lifters replacing the lifters really didn't do a thing.
The -B's are much quieter, but the quietest of them all are the new Crane's (not the SB Chevy ones, but the 3-2200's)

If the pushrods are adjusted correctly and there is no other hidden problem, but the lifter situation is very common.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Hippo. I had the lifters replaced this fall, they didn't have any of the lifters in stock so they had to order them. Later today I will go back and look on the invoice and check the #'s.

Boris

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hippo, I looked tonight and I do have the b series lifters. (according to invoice) Do you think I should just go with the Crane lifters, or try just going with the stock pushrods? I have not found any abnormal metal in the oil or on the drain plug, so I don't think anything is realy wearing out? The noise isn't as bad as long as I don't ride the OL bike! lol

Boris

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The -B lifters seem to work well enough, I would probably leave them in there.

The only way I can see the noise coming from the adjustable pushrods is if they are not adjusted correctly or are somehow touching the tubes and this is unlikely with the SE shorter lower tubes. I would adjust the pushrods, if they are SE's exactly to the HD spec ie 2.5 turns or .100"

If this doesn't help I would decide wether the noise bothers me enough to take the engine apart to see what I can find. If I found nothing I might consider replacing the oil pump with a higher flow one, but chasing ghosts can get expensive and there are no guarantees.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After pondering the noise thing, I was thinking what if they didn't put in the new style lifters? Do the lifters have a # stamped on them that I could tell if I pulled them out?
I have adjusted the pushrods once myself and found no change in the sound.

Thanks Boris

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No. I imagine if one were to disassemble the lifters one might find a difference somewhere but it would be really subtle as in clearances, a thou here and a thou there, that sort of thing. They are individually sealed in blisterpacks with the # and that's what one goes by.

The Crane's on the other hand have completely different check valving.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Go buy yourself some Federal Mogul HT900 lifters. They are used in Ford engines. Take the guts from these and replace the Harley guts. You have to use the Harley pushrod seat. Remarkable difference.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
ronwells said:
Go buy yourself some Federal Mogul HT900 lifters. They are used in Ford engines. Take the guts from these and replace the Harley guts. You have to use the Harley pushrod seat. Remarkable difference.

You did this? I know mine are getting louder (im even hard of hearing) and will be looking to do something this comming year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ronwells

Ronwells, I picked up the Federal Mogul HT-900 lifers, went to swap out the guts. No can do, you sure that was what you used? I tried every part I could get apart and couldn't get any of the 900's parts to fit the HD lifers??? ?The guts are larger in the 900's than the HD's So what do you think gives?

Boris

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Check a post in the TC section on this. I have seen many bikes that they thought it was a lifter problem but it was the rocker arm hitting the top of the rocker box webbing. I have seen this on stock bikes as well. Easy to check out, even easier fix hit it with a die grinder.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HDWRENCH

I took off the rocker covers put in the stock pushrods and then clayed the rockers. I found the rockers to have plenty of room. I then fired up the engine without the rocker covers, I still had the ticking noise, it seems to come more from both of the exhaust lifers when listening with a screwdriver. About all I can think of yet is to try a set of the new Crane lifters in it, or just put up with the extra noise.

Thanks for the extra info.

Boris

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: Ronwells

Boris said:
Ronwells, I picked up the Federal Mogul HT-900 lifers, went to swap out the guts. No can do, you sure that was what you used? I tried every part I could get apart and couldn't get any of the 900's parts to fit the HD lifers??? ?The guts are larger in the 900's than the HD's So what do you think gives?

Boris
Did my 02 with the HT-900's and they went together fine. By chance did you maybe get the HT-900 R's (roller lifters)?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thinking about the lifters, I wonder if there was an internal size difference on the stock lifters, If they changed it from the a to the b? Maybe they put in an new set of the old lifters?
What's the big difference in the new Crane's to the HD S/E? Anybody know?

Boris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts