V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if a lifter has gone bad? I am getting a nasty tapping noise which sounds like it is originating at the lifter blocks, but I can't tell for sure. I have adjustable push rods, and my buddy adjusted them. I can still spin the push rods after they have been adjusted( I have been told that they should not spin, or that they should be very hard to spin by hand) The noise started out sounding like an exhaust leak, but has gotten worse, after about 400 miles(I was in the middle of a long ride when I first heard it, and decided to try and limp it home. The motor runs fine, and there is no loss in power, but it sounds like I need a pushrod adjusted, even though we just did that. So before I plunk down a couple hundred on a new set of lifters, I was wondering if there is another way to tell if they(it) needs to be replaced. Oh, I did check for the exhaust leak, and that's not it. Thanks:thanks:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pushrods after adjustment should turn after the lifter bleeds down.

It is a common problem for the lifter roller bearings to go bad and stop rolling.
When this happens the roller skids on the cam lobe. If the pushrods were out of adjustment the roller bearings may have bunched up and the tappet drops a little.
Now you compensated for that space by taking up the slack with the pushrod adjustment.

I would pull out the lifter block and check things out.
If you have the "time saver" pushrods this is an easy thing to do.

You don't want to run the engine until you check anyway, as broken pieces can ruin your oil pump amoung other things.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, now that it's home, it'll sit until I know what it is. Thanks for the reply:thumbsup:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
As stated the lifter roller needle bearings are common to go bad. The needled have a nasty way of being able to shear the oil pump drive gear key. Then the gear is slipping but there is enough key left in there to spin the pump at a reduced amount but still enough to keep the oil light off . All this time the engine is starving for oil. Make sure you check all of the lifters, and replace them even if they are not bad if you have over 40,000 on the stock lifters. Replace with a big axle type lifter. If you are in there better safe than sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts