V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Boricua
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only 6200 miles on this past winters build I had a lifter fail on Sunday. I don't want to risk having problems with it again in the future so I am going to have it torn all the way down. The question I have is what kind of lifters I should put in it this time? The lifter that failed was a screamin eagle. Here are the other specs on my build.

SE htcc cnc ported heads (stock except for being decked)
SE htcc forged pistons
Harley big bore cylinders
SE adjustable push rods
wood tw400g cams
SE forged stroker crank
SE roller rockers and supports

Bob Wood recommended S&S. My builder thought that the Jims would be good. Anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Not Jims
I was guessing you had Jims in there now they have been known to have quality issues.
Use the stock Harley lifter or AMS. I would check the side of the lifter body at the very bottom and see if it may be striking the lobe on initial opening. The TW400 has some serious ramps and if the lifter is not chamfered there it may hit. There are many areas that need to be checked when usng these cams lifter bores need relief in some cases too as well as pinion boss.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
Not Jims
I was guessing you had Jims in there now they have been known to have quality issues.
Use the stock Harley lifter or AMS. I would check the side of the lifter body at the very bottom and see if it may be striking the lobe on initial opening. The TW400 has some serious ramps and if the lifter is not chamfered there it may hit. There are many areas that need to be checked when usng these cams lifter bores need relief in some cases too as well as pinion boss.
I read that Screaming eagle lifters were in fact made by Jims.

·
Boricua
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I read that Screaming eagle lifters were in fact made by Jims."

I thought that I had read the same thing as well. I'm sure not going to go with the Jims. Although my builder runs them in his bikes (both street and race) and has never had any problems with them. I don't think I want to chance it. Six months and 6200 miles is too short of a time span to have to do this stuff all over again.

I ordered the replacement cams today. Bob Wood was cool and gave me a discount on the new ones. Great people to deal with.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
pa-glazier said:
A lot of the Guru's say to stay with the stock B lifters.
That's what was recommended for my build by Mike Stegman at Latus motors.
105hp/110tq 95" TC with S&S 570G cams,over 30,000 miles so far and runs like a scalded dog still.
Also used the B oil pump and a Baisley spring.:yes:

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Mtclassic said:
I read that Screaming eagle lifters were in fact made by Jims.

They were made by Jims... That's a fact JACK (Phil Murray)....

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Lifters

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Harley lifter.
Use 'em all the time.
Scott

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Harley lifter.
Use 'em all the time.
Scott

@gree: with you Scott I used them in my 124" build...

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
SE lifters have been known to fail doing a lot of damage. Those heads have some hefty valve springs, may be too much for those lifters.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Speaking of lifters...

I can hear a ticking from the lifters when using a stethoscope, but cannot hear any noise without the stethoscope. Are the lifters going bad?

·
Gravel
23 Posts
1711tab said:
They were made by Jims... That's a fact JACK (Phil Murray)....

Bill Murray? :whistle:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
just as a point of reference regarding the JIMS lifters, we race a twin cam based 113" motor in the pro modified class. It uses JIMS lifters that have been modified to be quasi solid but they have been hanging in there just fine after a couple of seasons. Normal shift point is between 7200 and 7800 rpm. This past race season the motor got buzzed up to 9975 rpm under load on one pass in August on a missed shift, got it recorded with the data logger. Tossed a lash cap on one of the intakes and that was pretty much it. Sure hope these junk JIMS lifters are okay.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
wkdavistx said:
Bill Murray? :whistle:

I stand corrected.............:duh?: Can I say it was a type-o?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Did you repalce the bearings,when doing the lifters? Springer? mentioned in a post, the bearings can allow movement.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Mile Hi said:
I can hear a ticking from the lifters when using a stethoscope, but cannot hear any noise without the stethoscope. Are the lifters going bad?
Was it a right handed or left handed stethoscope?

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
Was it a right handed or left handed stethoscope?
It was a ambi stethoscope..... :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts