V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got my gear drive setup all done. I went with s&s precision lifters and standard adjustable push rods. The instructions said to set them 4 turns after zero lash, but when I do that I can still spin the push rods with my fingers. Everywhere I read people say it takes 10-30 minutes to bleed down. Mine spin freely almost instantly. Is there something wrong with the lifters?

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Did you pump up the lifters with oil before starting?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ddaddyo

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you don't prefill the lifters, don't be surprised about all the really noisy clatter you hear until they get filled by the oil pump when you first crank it up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't prefill the lifters, don't be surprised about all the really noisy clatter you hear until they get filled by the oil pump when you first crank it up.
I did fill them though, through the little hole on the side. Even if I crank it with fuel off and plugs out they won't fill up?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Insides of lifters have really tight clearances. Squirting in the little hole is only so effective. I've heard some will submerge the lifters in a container of oil and depress the plunger to let more oil in. Some will just let them sit submerged overnight. Some guys will even make their own vacuum tools to suck oil into the lifter.

There is also another school of thought that installs without priming. Once you crank up the motor, they will fill to what they need by means of the oil pump. Just noisy. You will be able to tell when they are good. You might even be able to notice when each one fills and the noise lessens. It could be seconds, could even go into minutes. If you want to give your battery a good workout, you could try running you oil pump just off the starter motor, but you might do more harm to some other parts by standing on the starter button.

Or you could always follow the recommendations and instructions of the lifter manufacturer. They ought to know best about their lifters since they have to stand behind them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks, so in other words I shouldn't be too alarmed. I will crank it for a bit with starter and then I'll just start it and let it run.

·
Registered
2005 FLHTCUI
103 Posts
I just did this recently and removed spark plugs while I cranked it over. When I got oil pressure I put the plugs in and started it , lifters were pumped up , quiet. Worked great

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just did this recently and removed spark plugs while I cranked it over. When I got oil pressure I put the plugs in and started it , lifters were pumped up , quiet. Worked great
That's more or less what I did. Had to jump it with my truck though. I think it's pretty quiet, but I don't really remember how the original setup sounded. Need to readjust the carb now I suppose, and charge the battery overnight. Maybe I'll upload a video of it running too just for fun. I think she sounds great with .510 cams.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's more or less what I did. Had to jump it with my truck though. I think it's pretty quiet, but I don't really remember how the original setup sounded. Need to readjust the carb now I suppose, and charge the battery overnight. Maybe I'll upload a video of it running too just for fun. I think she sounds great with .510 cams.
Somebody mentioned the flywheels spinning and now thats in the back of my mind now. Anybody know how to avoid this? I'm not pumping super crazy HP. 510 cams, S&S carb and 2 into 1.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just following this and wanted to mention you should never jump start your bike with a running vehicle. The output could ruin your regulator.

·
Registered
1982 FXRS and 2003 FLHR
28 Posts
Hey guys, got my gear drive setup all done. I went with s&s precision lifters and standard adjustable push rods. The instructions said to set them 4 turns after zero lash, but when I do that I can still spin the push rods with my fingers. Everywhere I read people say it takes 10-30 minutes to bleed down. Mine spin freely almost instantly. Is there something wrong with the lifters?
Here she is running again!
Could you post pics of the shoes, cams/bearings you removed and the miles they had on them?

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
Tensioner looked decent as far as the depth of wear.The surface is gnarly though. Now about that cam lobe,not so good looking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts