V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To the motor Guru's...or anyone else that knows.....
I have been following many threads on here about these engine builds. I am in the process of saving my dollars for my build, and reading, reading, and more reading.
One question that now comes to mind is "lifter bleed down" when reinstalling pushrods. The HD manual mentions NOTHING about this during reassembly, but some of you folks have reffered to it lately when another person here posted (No compression front jug 95" post).
Would you be kind enough to elaborate on what this is all about? This exactly a problem I do not wish to have happen to me when I finally build.

I ride my 04' FLHRCI one up 70% of the time. I am not a speed demon, but I LIKE the stump pulling power available when I want/need it. I don't need a high rev limit.

My proposed build:
Stock jugs bored out to 95" and street ported heads (probably from BigBoys)
Heads cc'd to give piston recommendation (either SE flattops or 10.25:1)
Andrews 37G
Stock pushrods?? (I am reading I will be able to use them without issue)
Baisley spring
SERT
For now (budget constraints), I will be leaving on my SE Slipons (64903-99)

I know I may be leaving some torque on the table, but I can deal with that for now.

I'm not trying to start ANOTHER 95" build thread....I just want to know about the lifters. Of course, reassurance about the build choice is also welcome. From what I read, it is a tried and true build. If I had more money, I would do the 98" build from HDWRENCH. But with kids entering college, I am going to struggle to get this one done.

Thanks for your thoughts...and PLEASE respond to the lifter question.

YB

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The manual tells you to find base circle on the cam, then tq down the support plate evenly then verify the the pushrods spin freely. That is the bleed donw what they are not telling you is that there may be a 15-30 minute time span where you are waiting for the lifter to let the valve return to the valve seat

I might rethink 10.25 with a 37 as is a bit too much compression for your set up. A andrews 26 with 9.5 as that would build much more tq at a lower rpm range. I think that would work better for you.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HDWRENCH said:
The manual tells you to find base circle on the cam, then tq down the support plate evenly then verify the the pushrods spin freely. That is the bleed donw what they are not telling you is that there may be a 15-30 minute time span where you are waiting for the lifter to let the valve return to the valve seat

I might rethink 10.25 with a 37 as is a bit too much compression for your set up. A andrews 26 with 9.5 as that would build much more tq at a lower rpm range. I think that would work better for you.
Thanks HD...I hear you loud and clear. I will make the cam choice based on the info guys like yourself give. The reason I said maybe the 10.25:1 pistons is I read on a post here that stock ported heads with these pistons MAY give me slightly under a 10:1 CR. I have read and I understand that 9.9:1 is about MAX for the 37G and I certainly would not want to bust those numbers. If the 26G is the best choice, then that is what I will go with. Maybe the SE flattops and the 37G would be better. I am ALL EARS.
Am I correct in understanding that if the heads are CC'd at the time of porting, I will get my cam recommendation then? That is what I am banking on at the moment.
Like someone else said.."I have read enough to be dangerous".

Thanks for all you do for this board.

YB

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Dewey Spegs is actually doing a Woods gear Cams deal with his heads at the moment so you could go with the TW5G and get an even stronger pulling bike.

There are pros and cons as to wether you would need roller rockers with this cam...........if you do then HDWrench has then quite cheap.

Cast Flat tops with 9.7/9.8:1 CR would make for a really strong pulling bike.........there have been a number of posts recently stating how much this cam choice is liked.

All the best, Ozzie

www.deweyspegs.com

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Dewey Spegs is actually doing a Woods gear Cams deal with his heads at the moment so you could go with the TW5G and get an even stronger pulling bike.

There are pros and cons as to wether you would need roller rockers with this cam...........if you do then HDWrench has then quite cheap.

Cast Flat tops with 9.7/9.8:1 CR would make for a really strong pulling bike.........there have been a number of posts recently stating how much this cam choice is liked.

All the best, Ozzie

www.deweyspegs.com
Isn't the TW5G a high lift cam? If so, this would make head work much more expensive then just porting,eh? Would the TW6G be a better choice if I were to limit my head work to porting only?
What could I expect for CR with the following combinations:
SE Flattops with shaved heads (.030?)
SE Flattops without shaved heads
SE 10.25:1 without shaved heads

I know it is hard to give exact #'s without CCing the heads, but a reasonable guess would do.

Thanks guys,

YB

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
You went back wards a little there. The 5 and the 6 cam need head work and not just porting. Also valve train components, at least roller rockers, and adjustable push rods, it is said stock lifters work, but me I would go the Crane lifters from HDWRENCH.

For a porting only deal, Deweys and the 37's would do it and I think as mentioned he has the cams on a special deal right now.

Now to mix it a little you could do Dewey and the head/cam combo set for the 37G, and do HDWRENCH for a 98" jug/piston kit. "Mild" build that eliminates other valve train components, low compression, little noise from said not used valve train components, and would just flat out be reliable, and haul a$$.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
LAF said:
You went back wards a little there. The 5 and the 6 cam need head work and not just porting. Also valve train components, at least roller rockers, and adjustable push rods, it is said stock lifters work, but me I would go the Crane lifters from HDWRENCH.

For a porting only deal, Deweys and the 37's would do it and I think as mentioned he has the cams on a special deal right now.

Now to mix it a little you could do Dewey and the head/cam combo set for the 37G, and do HDWRENCH for a 98" jug/piston kit. "Mild" build that eliminates other valve train components, low compression, little noise from said not used valve train components, and would just flat out be reliable, and haul a$$.
Good info. Thanks. I am trying to keep build costs down, so it appears the 37G with porting (or perhaps even the 26G as HD recommended) would be right for my build. I would LOVE to go with the 98" kit, but it just isn't in the budget.

Thanks guys for your input. What about the above piston questions?

Thanks, YB

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
YankeeBob said:
Isn't the TW5G a high lift cam? If so, this would make head work much more expensive then just porting,eh? Would the TW6G be a better choice if I were to limit my head work to porting only?
What could I expect for CR with the following combinations:
SE Flattops with shaved heads (.030?)
SE Flattops without shaved heads
SE 10.25:1 without shaved heads

I know it is hard to give exact #'s without CCing the heads, but a reasonable guess would do.

Thanks guys,

YB
Yes it is.... .575 Lift, and yes you would have to add the cost of springs which Crane are selling for around $60 at the moment.......as advised by another member last week.

My preference would be to go with flat tops and get the heads milled to suit...this gets you slightly smaller chambers which are said to improve the burn process and improve Volumetric Efficiency.............. .30 thou cometic gasket to set the squish band to near optimum for VE also............and getting your CR. as high as possible without ping...........which incidently happens mostly in the 1500/2500 rpm range.

You have to decide which cam you want...................37 has an excellent reputation.............26 has an excellent reputation as well and the Woods TW5G is beginning to gain ground on the TW6HG due to less operational noise and less wear and tear on the valve train than the TW6HG.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Disclaimer: This is my opinion.

All the best, Ozzie
Yes, but it is an educated opinion, which is valuable. I would love to hear others educated opinions as well, even if it has been said before, so I can draw some kind of conclusion...which I am getting closer to.

Thanks everyone.

YB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts