V-Twin Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2000 Dyna TC 88 needs an engine replacement or rebuild at 24,851 miles. One of the outer cam bearings failed dropping metal pieces inside. Not a good thing. HD dealership said the 99-2000 TC 88 were known for this.... nice to know now! Now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Dealer can replace motor with a HD re-man for $4500! Bike is only worth about 6500-7000. Have had 6 Hondas with zero issues prior to this first HD.... this is a hard lesson to learn.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I thought the inner cam bearings were the ones prone to failure.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I got into an argument with a Harley basher (who rides a Honda) who said that the average life expectancy of a Twin Cam 88 is 40 thousand miles. I argued, but had nothing to back it up. I've owned three Harley's and never had any engine (or trans) problems, but none of them have gone over 25K before I bought the next.

Assuming regular maintainence, average riding conditions and no engine mods (except the Harley tax), what's your experience/opinion?
Nice to see a five year old thread resurrected :hystria: I have seen enough high mileage H-D's to believe that most of them will continue to roll long after most Hondas have been scrapped and recycled.

I have nothing against Honda, I just prefer the build quality, customization options, style, and longevity of H-D.

MM

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My 2000 Dyna TC 88 needs an engine replacement or rebuild at 24,851 miles. One of the outer cam bearings failed dropping metal pieces inside. Not a good thing. HD dealership said the 99-2000 TC 88 were known for this.... nice to know now! Now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Dealer can replace motor with a HD re-man for $4500! Bike is only worth about 6500-7000. Have had 6 Hondas with zero issues prior to this first HD.... this is a hard lesson to learn.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. It is, however, not the norm that H-D's fail such low mileage. In the nine years or so that I have read this forum I cannot remember having seen this before.

MM

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
99 Ultra with close to 100K ... other than stators(2) being replaced, I've never had a major problem.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Learn about what you are buying before you buy.
I have a 2000 springer I picked up in 05, I knew about the cam chain tensioners before I picked it up. I did get 48,000 miles out of them tho, bike had 8k on it when I picked it up, 51k now

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I don't have a TC88, I have a sportster 883 custom, 2003. I currently have 75,000 miles. At about 50k miles I had to replace leaky gaskets. At about 71K I came into some money and had a 1200 conversion done. Still running strong. Oh yeah, the first few years I had it, I abused it.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I got bashed for buying a versys kwaka for a work hack by someone who rides a woosey scooter WTF.

Hey all to thier own a ride is a ride, be a boring place if there was only one make and model.
Ummmmm... uhhhh.... wha?

:huh:

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
The twin cam as far as I am concerned is about as good as it gets in todays market.
Why do I say this, cause I bought one off the floor back in 2000 and today its got over 120,000 k's. I maintained the engine oil every 5,000, all fluids every year & plugs twice a year.
God only knows where and how I drove the living snot out it yet everytime I went to start it .. yup it flashed up by the count of 2. Still got the original cam tensioners and drive chain
The original everything mechanical for that fact and all on Castrol 20w50
It's been an ACE! :redrolf:

Cheers :beer::beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I think Harley's image is tarnished because so many are modified. I mean, take a Honda and put 100's of aftermarket parts out there, let 1000's of engine builders of various skills mix and match these parts and see what happens. I'm not knocking the builders, mind you, just pointing out that all of these variations can't help but compromise overall reliability.

Also, if you look around on the web, you will find many stories of the newer BMW 4 cylinder engines dying at around 50K miles. $12K for a new engine! Personally, I love the fact that HDs are so affordable and so fixable after you buy.

·
self banned
5,978 Posts
I like my Levi's too, but I had to go to a zipper.

Were you properly maintaining your Levi's?

The company says to not wash new jeans for 6 months and then no more than every two weeks.

(maybe I am asking the wrong person)

rkc

·
not sober all the time
5,935 Posts
Why do we assume that "regulars" are bent out of shape when they point out how old a thread is to new members? I'm just f***ing with you filterless. I ain't mad.

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
Post 113 is less than a year old and that is what the noob was viewing I'm sure. I don't want the new guys run off. They have to stay awhile, because I won't be here forever to entertain you people.lol

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hey even the Regulars get ragged on when they hit on an thread. I'm not trying to scare any newbies off. Just pointing out something that could save them some future embarrassment.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts