V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into an argument with a Harley basher (who rides a Honda) who said that the average life expectancy of a Twin Cam 88 is 40 thousand miles. I argued, but had nothing to back it up. I've owned three Harley's and never had any engine (or trans) problems, but none of them have gone over 25K before I bought the next.

Assuming regular maintainence, average riding conditions and no engine mods (except the Harley tax), what's your experience/opinion?

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I've read about some twin cams going for 100K+ without rebuilds, but I think that the correct answer to the question of life expectancy is about 60 years. There are some flat heads, knuckles, pans and shovels still going. Not many metrics that old still around. Except maybe BMW's.

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
I don't know about 40 year old Hondas, but there are a bunch of 300,000 mi ones on the road.

Not all Honda riders are H-D bashers, H-D makes great bikes.:cheers:

·
Registered
73 Posts
vtxjosh said:
I don't know about 40 year old Hondas, but there are a bunch of 300,000 mi ones on the road.

Not all Honda riders are H-D bashers, H-D makes great bikes.:cheers:

Josh speaks the truth about the H-D bashers. I've seen him defend Harley on the VTX board.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Who cares? My TC88 will most likely still be on the road somewhere,when nobody will even remember Honda building motorcycles in 06.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
A former member of this board, MarKuda, had about 153,000 miles on his 03 Ultra when some bearings went out and took the oil pump and motor down. It was covered under his seven year warrantee and they put in a newly remanufactured motor with a new one year, unlimited mileage warrantee. He has about 180,000 on it currently, I believe.

Prior to that, I believe he'd just done regular maintenance, a couple sets of tensioners and a new stator....and of course, lots of tires.

I personally, have about 43,000 miles on my 01 FLHT; but I did the big bore conversion around the 22,000 mile mark; and I've eliminated all the more common weak points as well.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Seahag said:
A former member of this board, MarKuda, had about 153,000 miles on his 03 Ultra when some bearings went out and took the oil pump and motor down.
What happened to MarKuda? I think i remember him getting banned at one point...did he give up the forum?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I did a BB, ported & flowed the heads, TW6hg cams and 10.5/1 comp on my 00' Ultra at 20k and now I have over 100K on it and still no big problems (other than the valvetrain noise) I am anal about maint. but in my opinion these bikes will last as long as you take care of them.

ghjohnso said:
I got into an argument with a Harley basher (who rides a Honda) who said that the average life expectancy of a Twin Cam 88 is 40 thousand miles. I argued, but had nothing to back it up. I've owned three Harley's and never had any engine (or trans) problems, but none of them have gone over 25K before I bought the next.

Assuming regular maintainence, average riding conditions and no engine mods (except the Harley tax), what's your experience/opinion?

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Seahag said:
A former member of this board, MarKuda, had about 153,000 miles on his 03 Ultra when some bearings went out and took the oil pump and motor down. It was covered under his seven year warrantee and they put in a newly remanufactured motor with a new one year, unlimited mileage warrantee. He has about 180,000 on it currently, I believe.

Prior to that, I believe he'd just done regular maintenance, a couple sets of tensioners and a new stator....and of course, lots of tires.

I personally, have about 43,000 miles on my 01 FLHT; but I did the big bore conversion around the 22,000 mile mark; and I've eliminated all the more common weak points as well.

He wrote me a while back, his first set of tensioners were replaced at 73,000 I believe and he was still on his second set.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Read a magazine report of an E-Glide owner with over 250K on the odom. Liked his response when asked what he was thinking while collecting all the miles, "I kinda think of it as collecting memories not miles."

In the end, this is what really matters.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
miles to go said:
What happened to MarKuda? I think i remember him getting banned at one point...did he give up the forum?
Yea, he got banned; but unlike many who do, he didn't bother trying to comeback under an alias (as far as I know)...which I give him credit for. He cut ties with this place and still has some serious resentment for the people who gave him the boot.

He's still on the net though, when he's not out riding.:cool:

I met him, in person a couple months ago. Nice guy...comes off nicer in person than he can appear to be in his posts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've 4 or 5 friends who ride Twin Cam with more then 100000 kms on it.
Most of them are stock bikes.
The same happens with some friends riding Evos.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
In the same vein as the earlier posts...ask how many Fresca cans you can make out of that Honda...on a nicer note...ask how many Honda museums there are? (mention that you may pay them a visit on your HD when they build one)

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Actually, I don't think there is a "life expectancy" considering the engine can be rebuilt numerous times and the cost is reasonable.

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
In the same vein as the earlier posts...ask how many Fresca cans you can make out of that Honda...on a nicer note...ask how many Honda museums there are? (mention that you may pay them a visit on your HD when they build one)
Sorry no time to visit museums, I am to busy putting 300,000 miles on my Honda.:coffee:

As far as Fresca cans I don't believe I have any aluminum on my bike.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
ghjohnso said:

First thing I would've asked is what evidence did he have to back that up? The rebuild program is supposed to be for bikes with more than 100k miles from what I understand; if the motor wasn't made to last that long, wouldn't they have recommended it for something less?

·
Registered
185 Posts
vtxjosh said:
Enjoy!
http://www.firebladezone.com/lucassen.php?nommenu=Sjaak Lucassen

Quite a journey. 150000 miles on a crotch rocket.

About the engine, translated with Altavista Babel Fish (understandable):

Technically, the motor bike preserves its qualities if one compares it with new. No failure nor shade of stammering to lighting, it starts with the quarter of turn, even if there is a feeling not to have all the horses available of origin (Power estimated with the crankshaft in the neighbourhoods of 110ch) Among the principal reasons for which the engine is not completely rinsed, Sjaak made always well heat its motor bike, the adequate operating temperature having always been reached before starting. Second reason, the mean velocity was weak, Sjaak could appreciate the landscape and was not in a hurry. However, during the first 80000 kilometers, Sjaak nevertheless posed its knees on asphalt, the motor bike constantly was thus not spared. In this voyage, Sjaak made maintenance itself, draining, change of the air filter, the candles and checking of the valves. Not only Sjaak has beautiful stories to tell but its Fireblade also! A total of 240000km that the motor bike crossed throughout the motorways, of the roads, the ways sandy, the muddy roads, the jungle, the deserts and quite worse still! It should be noted that Sjaak paid this turn of the world of its pocket.

On-topic: Like many people here already said a TC88 can run many miles before rebuild is nescessary. The TC88 is no worse than any other motorcycle engine out there. As always maintenance and not pushing it before it has reached proper temperature is cruicial.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
a tc can last the rest of your life
comparing it to a honda is like the apples and oranges thing
a tc is like a zippo , hi maintanance but easily repaired and restored
i think a honda is like a bic lighter , lasts a long time , low maintanance , but when its used up chunk it and get another

highest milage tc i have seen is 107 k ,, tensioners lasted 91k and rod bearing went at 107k , however the guy rides slow and easy and may be guilty of lugging around , top end was still good but replaced for general principles
a bottom end job and new take off cylinders and pistons and heads and ready for 107k more

1 - 20 of 123 Posts