V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just got an '04 1200 Custom, and wants to remove the license plate from the bobtail fender, and relocate it to a sidemount. I'm posting this here because there aren't many Sportys with that rear fender, and the Softail Standards have a similar set up. What have you guys been doing with this, send pics if available. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
it will look like something fell off the bike. ;)
Are you sure, I slammed it so the fender sits pretty low to the tire. Also, the Custom sits an inch lower to begin with than the other Sportys. I would like to see a picture, so my wife can decide for herself..............

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
This is on my Train, but may give you an idea.....

There are some side plate mounts that use the lower shock mount on the Sporties. I used the rear footpeg for mine.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
guess I should've dropped the rear end down before taking the pic! Like this......

but I didn't have a full-on rear shot of it.
Note: this was during the swap without tailight and license mount not completed. I'm still debating of dropping the tailight altogether.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it appears that you cut the piece off below the tailight that held the license plate????? Did you just make a cut straight across?? Dremel?? I think the tailight looks fine there, much better without the license plate.

Thanks for taking the time to post a pic!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Tx_Outlaw said:
guess I should've dropped the rear end down before taking the pic! Like this......

Note: this was during the swap without tailight and license mount not completed. I'm still debating of dropping the tailight altogether.
If you used a panacea tail light you could lose the blinkers altogether.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Tx_Outlaw said:

This is where I'm at too. I put the run/brake/blinker module on mine so the stock blinkers are running/brake lights too. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the tail light.

The big problem I see is to keep the blinkers, you have to keep the stupid tail-light circuit board. I also think it may look a little weird if I just get rid of the entire "plate" sitting back there and leaving the hole.

Any good ideas out there? The only one I keep considering is using the stock fill plate to make a mold. Smooth out the mold. Then make a fiberglass replacement panel that's smoothed over. Paint it flat black and it "should" disappear into the back of the bike.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Sledman - I cut off the license plate mount area using a hacksaw. Then used a rasp to take it down to the desired shape (it's actually a little curved at the bottom), smoothed it up with a fine file and then sandpaper. I painted it with spray-on bedliner.

Treadmarks - I'd rather use a module to convert the turn signals to run/brake/turn than use the panacea to drop the signals.

Niget - I understand what you mean about the circuit board thing. I was thinking about relocating it under the seat (battery area) and extend the wiring for the turn signals. Sorry, I can't help you one the replacement panel.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Tx_Outlaw said:
Niget - I understand what you mean about the circuit board thing. I was thinking about relocating it under the seat (battery area) and extend the wiring for the turn signals. Sorry, I can't help you one the replacement panel.
I was thinking the same thing... How does the bike look without the rear panel in there? Guess I could just take mine off and take a look :)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I hacked the rear plate holder and put on a Kuryakan side mount holder. I still need to lower the bike about an 1.5"'s to get the look I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
for the wiring and circuit board thing... just lose it.

the rear harness connector under the seat has all the needed connection points and if you know how to remove the contacts from the connector body, you can just wire to that. I would either make a new harness that hardwires to the rear lights, or you can take the existing harness and remove the 6-position connector off the taillight/circuit board connector end, then put on individual sockets for the lights... just like the Deuce rear harness has. all of the male terminals and female terminals are exactly the same for all the rear lighting/harness connectors... you can easily swap between any connector configuration that will work for you.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
niget2002 said:
I was thinking the same thing... How does the bike look without the rear panel in there? Guess I could just take mine off and take a look :)
I like it. As you can see in the pic above, the side mounts are noticeable under the fender. I'd have to paint those black if I drop the rear tailight altogether.

Steve - bike looks really nice! Those stock pipes look like they really hang out to the right......

Dr. - you're absolutely right on the wiring. Once I get the new lighting module, I'll look into what needs to be done for the signals. Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here are some pic's of what I have done to the rear end. Lowered 1 1/2" - 2", side mount license, bullet rear turn signals. I am going to lower it the rest of the way, about another 3/4" or so to see what that looks and rides like.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Looks good 05fxsti! Be careful lowering it too much, you'll lose all your rear suspension.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I had a 2001 sportster and had one molded into the bobtail while having repainted.

I fabriciated my own for the softail as shown below

1 - 17 of 17 Posts