V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of friends of mine were riding a few miles from the Santa Monica/Mulhulland Hwy?Rock Store area of Southern California this past weekend when they were pulled over at an impromptu roadblock by police officers on a remote stretch of mountain road. All bikes passing thru were getting waved over and given surprize inspections to make sure they had insurance, motorcycle licenses and legal modifications. After an extensive inspection by Johnny Law - they were both given minor "fix it" tickets for not having reflectors on the license plate. Per the ticket - the two bottom bolts heads on the license plate frame are suppose to have dime size little relectors on them. This is the first that I have every heard of this requirement in California - I have never had reflectors on my license plate frame nor have ever noticed them before. Is this a new requirement in CA or just BS ???

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Are the original factory rear reflector(s) that came on the bike in place? If so, I don't believe the license plate reflectors are required. While I don't know CA law, the factory reflectors meet Federal DOT requirements and will, to my knowledge, meet any state requirement. If the factory reflector(s) aren't there, then.........

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
wow. while it may be "the law" to have those reflectors, if thats all they could find, it tells me they are probably ticketing, if not every bike, a high percentage of them. I mean, if you look long enough, probably most bikes have an infraction, even if its missing license plate reflectors.

I'd take that to court, because really, reflectors?! I would probably have to pay court costs, along with my fine, but I would at least get on a soapbox for two minutes or so..... (unless they threatened to taser me, that is).

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Do the reflectors have to be on the PLATE itself. Is that only for MC's? I know IL prohibits (yet never really enforces) anything covering or attached to the plates. since it can interfere with photo enforcement.
It sounds like you wer going to get a ticket for something

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Aren't all US state plates painted with a reflective paint?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The federal guidelines (used by most states, although some may be stricter) require 5 reflectors on a motorcycle: two on the sides at the front (normally seen on the forks) two on the sides at the rear and one on the back. Sorry, but I forget the square inch requirement...but I'm sure two dime-sized reflectors wouldn't cover it.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
And the FIRST mod everyone does is to remove them. Mine never even got installed at prep. I didn't tell them not to put them on, they just didn't do it. Saved me the hassle of removing them.

How would you like to be the officer in court that has to defend the ticket for not having 2 dime-sized reflectors on a license plate? I mean, there is silly, and then there is silly.

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
CA Vehicle Code

Here is a link to the vehicle code online:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24607.htm

It states:

Reflectors on Rear
24607. Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:

(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams.

(b) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a low-speed vehicle , manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1965, shall be equipped with at least two reflectors meeting the visibility requirements of subdivision (a), except that trailers and semitrailers manufactured after July 23, 1973, that are less than 30 inches wide, may be equipped with one reflector which shall be mounted at or near the vertical centerline of the trailer. If the vehicle is equipped with two reflectors, they shall be mounted as specified in subdivision (d).

I didn't copy items C & D as they do not apply. The way I read it, all vehicles need one reflector, period. And it just needs to meet the visibility requirement, not a size requirement. If it's anything BUT a motorcycle or low-speed vehicle, then you need 2 reflectors.

I'd take a copy of this to court and bring a photo of the back of the bike showing the single factory reflector (you do have one right?) and ask for some kind of explanation as to where it says you need reflective license plate bolts?

I think the best argument would be that if it was required by law, they wouldn't be allowed to sell the bike at the dealership without it.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Bot said:
And the FIRST mod everyone does is to remove them.

Not me. I kind of like having the best opportunity of being seen....the reason for reflectors.

How would you like to be the officer in court that has to defend the ticket for not having 2 dime-sized reflectors on a license plate? I mean, there is silly, and then there is silly.

Might be silly to some, but it is what it is. I still doubt the tag reflectors are law, but having X square inches of reflectors or as installed at the factory (required by DOT) seems to make sense.....to me at least.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
cwo2lt said:
Fu(k. I better go sew the tag back on my mattress.
Thats exactly what I'm sayin.
I'm not denying what the law about reflectors is. Nor am I saying it's particularly smart to remove them. I am saying that in the grand scheme of things, the 2 dime sized reflectors not on the bike is a silly ticket. Expecially considering the license plate itself is reflective (at least it is in KY).

Now, if one (Trooper?) wants to argue that it is not at all silly, and that the ticket might save someone's life, well, then, we can discuss. I think its an abuse of police power (to give such a ridiculous ticket).

I was saying that I would fight it in court. Even if I lost, it would be worth the price of admission to get on my soapbox for a few minutes to spout my opinion on the silliness of such an abuse, and I'd let the courts know exactly what I thought of the "bully" cop. (no one picked up on my taser reference before, though...)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Okay, another one; The stoplight and turnsignals are reflective when unlit!

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
fourhour said:
Okay, another one; The stoplight and turnsignals are reflective when unlit!
Some are. some not. If they are, then they count as reflective square inches. I think reasonable reflectors are a good safety measure and are required equipment. What I was saying is that I really doubt that the tag screw reflectors are required. The original reflectors are all that's required or replacements that meet the DOT size requirement. Having said all that, I don't recall having ever written more than a warning on reflectors and that was on homemade trailers or some such.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Trooper, trailers are issue here. My utility trailer lights keep getting knocked off/broken. I got sick of replacing them. So now I don't put them on because the tailights of the towing vehicle are clearly visible. Would you cite me for it?

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
fourhour said:
Trooper, trailers are issue here. My utility trailer lights keep getting knocked off/broken. I got sick of replacing them. So now I don't put them on because the tailights of the towing vehicle are clearly visible. Would you cite me for it?

Depends. At least in Oklahoma, trailer lights are required regardless of the towing vehicles lights. What made some difference to me was exactly that: Short or long trailer? Towing vehicles lights visible? Sufficient reflectors on the trailer? Commercial or personal rig? Day or night use? I realize these things mean nothing in the eyes of the law, but they meant something to me. Another issue to me was if the driver/owner had made some attempt to protect the trailer lights.

Back to reflectors....the reason for rear reflectors is to give the vehicle some level of visibility to other traffic's headlights at night if that vehicle is parked without lights on the shoulder (or even disabled in a traffic lane) or if that vehicle's tail lights go out while moving down the road. Do either of these things happen? Sure....fairly often.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Flyin Brian said:
Here is a link to the vehicle code online:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24607.htm

It states:

Reflectors on Rear
24607. Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:

(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams.

(b) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a low-speed vehicle , manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1965, shall be equipped with at least two reflectors meeting the visibility requirements of subdivision (a), except that trailers and semitrailers manufactured after July 23, 1973, that are less than 30 inches wide, may be equipped with one reflector which shall be mounted at or near the vertical centerline of the trailer. If the vehicle is equipped with two reflectors, they shall be mounted as specified in subdivision (d).
I think the best argument would be that if it was required by law, they wouldn't be allowed to sell the bike at the dealership without it.
Actually, they DO sell bikes with that ONE reflector mounted below (at least on my bagger) the plate...something like 1/2" x width of plate. Like someone said...the 1st thing we do when we get home is take off the reflectors....just like we did on our STING RAYS back in the day. That's just a wily cop fishing for tickets...really working hard, keeping you scofflaws
from wreaking havoc in the community. Actually, just being a PITA so you and your pals might not come back to the Mulholland Drive & hills area!! They're enforcing a lot of stuff near the rock store trying to cut down on the noise of the Harley group & lunacy of the sport bike crowd. Too many accidents & complaints...been on the news.
Tim

·
Registered
94 Posts
SteveDD said:
The federal guidelines (used by most states, although some may be stricter) require 5 reflectors on a motorcycle: two on the sides at the front (normally seen on the forks) two on the sides at the rear and one on the back.
Hahahahaha! That's funny as Hell! I never knew this either, and it's funny because I've removed every single one of those you've pointed out from the RKC - especially the crap-ass looking chrome laydown license plate bracket from Harley that has the long reflector running underneath the actual plate with "Harley Davidson" printed within it. Anybody want one of those for free? Guaranteed to give your ride an essence of shmucksville...

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
1bdBagr said:
Actually, they DO sell bikes with that ONE reflector mounted below (at least on my bagger) the plate...Tim
Tim, what I meant was if the license plate screws were required to be reflective they would have to sell the bike with them. The vehicle code I posted shows that the single stock reflector is all that's required.

Brian

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Flyin Brian said:
Tim, what I meant was if the license plate screws were required to be reflective they would have to sell the bike with them. The vehicle code I posted shows that the single stock reflector is all that's required.

Brian
My Road Glide came from the dealer with two reflectors on the license screws. For all I know, they're required in MN.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts