V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I'm pissed.I own a fatboy and it had no place to store anything so I figured that instead of getting a big sissy bar bag I would get a license plate bag.What a friggin mistake that was. While doing my weekly cleaning routine on my scoot I finally got to the back fender and guess what ? the damned bag scratched the hell out of the paint .
Can these scratches be compounded out or will that make more scratches? Anybody!
Please help.

John the license plate bag assho;e.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Try the Harley scrach remover, if the clear coat is to damage all of it wont come out, but it will help.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Meguires makes some really nice polishes that are available in progressively finer grades to systematically restore damaged finishes, as does 3M. Pep Boys carries both lines. Start coarse and work up to the finer grades changing polishing cloths as you go.

I've taken some real doozies out of paint by begining with 1200 grit wet or dry paper and water followed by 1500 grit, on to machine compound then Imperial Hand Glaze(all 3M products) and came out with perfection time and time again. You must take care not to cut through the clear!

·
Registered
142 Posts
John,

I bought the bag too but mine came with a piece of protective film that is to be stuck to the fender under the bag. I was a little hesitant at first to stick it on there, but I trimmed it down in such a way that it's invisible under the bag. So far I haven't had any problems with scratches. Now when I take the bag off and have to deal with removing that plastic film, I'll probably be pissed at myself for ever putting it on in the first place.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I'm not sure what size bag you guys may have but I think its about the same size as a tool bag. I mounted mine on the frame down tubes. Of course, if there is anything that you don't want to get wet, you need to put it in a ziplock bag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A decent body shop could probably wet sand the scratches out pretty easily and very cheap. If you have never wet sanded a paint finish yourself you probably should not try it on your beautiful Fat Boy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I feel your pain. Don't put a Milwaukee Twin Oiler Cooler set up on a Heritage Classic. It will trash your fender the first ride. I now have to find a place that can repair and paint the fender. Hopefuly, with the same quality as original. Also, don't put your tool bag on the light bar. That too will dent the fender big time on the first large pothole. Man, I want to puke it's so ugly.

·
Registered
413 Posts
jockeyshift said:
I'm not sure what size bag you guys may have but I think its about the same size as a tool bag. I mounted mine on the frame down tubes. Of course, if there is anything that you don't want to get wet, you need to put it in a ziplock bag.
Careful if you do that on a fatboy with it's bigger fender. I had a small bag like that on my fatboy. The fender just cleared the bag when I checked in the garage, but going down the road, the wind was able to push the bag up just enough to graze the fender and start causing some wear marks in the paint after a while.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am going to try to compound out the marks . I talked to my harley dealer he thought i might have to topcoat and re compound in order to leave enough protection for the paint after compounding. I will let you know how i make out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone tried removing that piece of film yet? I was going to get this bag too, but wondered about the paint issue. I too would like to know if that film will come off or not.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
The protective fender film comes off easily, in fact anybody who goes to a solo seat takes some or all of it off.

I have used 2000 grit wet sand paper followed by polishing compound (but good quality, not cheap stuff) , followed by mequires ScratchX.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the advice . I am going to try the Meguires ScratchX and see how that comes out .I'll Let you know how I made out with it.

John,scratched and still pissed.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If its a toolbag you need, just purchase the Harley tool bag made for Fatboys, it mounts on the side of the bike below the seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts