V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate posting this here but I couldnt think of a good forum to place it in.

I was wondering if there were any levers you can put on a bike for smaller hands (Wife cant hold front brake very well in my opinion). I dont want to affect the clutch operation, and its mainly the right control thats causing the issue. I would be willing to change just the right one, since even pulling full force it will not reach the grip all the way. Best I can explain, when she reaches for the clutch or brake, her pinky isnt able to reach the control, and in an emergency I think there is a risk of actually slipping off the handlebars.

Have small diameter grips, and the reach is correct for her, but when I noticed the trouble with the right brake the other day I've been looking.

Any suggestions from the smaller hand crowd? This is an 06.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I have decent sided hands and my pinky doesn't reach the levers either when their all the way out. My index, middle and ring fingers do however. When I pull in one of the levers my three fingers get it moving initially, then when its close enough my pinky wraps around as well.

Have her practice doing this kind of "grab". Make sure she doesn't have her pinky sticking out like she's drinking tea, or bent behind the lever when she does this. With practice she should be able to do it in a fluid motion without any jurking etc.

One method to help would be to tape (or use string) her pinky to her ring finger when she practices initially. Eventually she'll get muscle memory and have no issues. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Is it a bad habit to NOT use all your fingers?

I only ask because half the time I only use my pointer and middle finger on both the clutch and brake. Only in emergencies or where I really have to clamp down do I use more... My fingers are fairly long and my pinkies don't reach either.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
While I'm sure someone will argue... It is a bad habit to not use all fingers at all times. Practice how you play. It's shown that muscle reflex is easier found through repetition so if you use all fingers at all times you should have no problems doing it in an emergency and it'll become instinct.

·
Registered
265 Posts
niget2002 said:
Is it a bad habit to NOT use all your fingers?

I only ask because half the time I only use my pointer and middle finger on both the clutch and brake. Only in emergencies or where I really have to clamp down do I use more... My fingers are fairly long and my pinkies don't reach either.
When I took the MSF class last November, the instructor mentioned that some of us were NOT using all four fingers on the levers. He recommended that we use all four but, he said if you can't get all four on the lever...just use what you can.

I use three fingers as my pinky just doesn't reach far enough to do much other than just make contact with the lever. Three is enough for me...I've actually come pretty close to sliding the front tire a couple of times in heavy traffic/emergency stop situations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts