V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago someone thought to ask if either a new forum catagory or thread should be started specifically for the 'Wide Glide'. So I waited to see if something would come of it................ That said, nope, not as of yet.
Well anyone who has seen this thread started in 2005
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/harley-davidson-dyna/62943-lets-see-those-beautiful-dynas.html
knows that it's just great to see a full range of Dynas, albeit a bit long but that's what makes it awesome.
I figured to start one for the Wide Glide as the bike has a good history within the Dyna family and I know there are others who would like to have a picture thread specific to it. Please post your Wide Glide pictures and maybe some details.

I'll start:
2006 Wide Glide. Stock besides pipes, dropped bars, and straight paint. Runs great with 23K miles. Once the real cold sets in I'm planning on pulling the tins again and coming up with a blue / purple scheme. Also need to re-lace the front wheel; have the hoop and will do it over the winter.

Here in New England (Fall 2011) it's a great time to take the bike out and just do some cruisin...

~~

·
Registered
301 Posts
WG bags

My bags are HD small or medium, hard back, leather, and I have them mounted with Easy Brackets. Have, sence the picture put on a smoke colored Street shield EX from National Cycle. Doesn't stop much wind but does great on bugs. Just a small cruiser shield. In the wind.

Pops

·
Registered
597 Posts
previous bike

this was my previous bike, a '98 FXDWG. I do miss her...

She was fully loaded for the trip to New Orleans a few yrs back in this pic.

Once the current bike is paid off, I'll be looking to pick up another wide glide.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this was my previous bike, a '98 FXDWG. I do miss her...

She was fully loaded for the trip to New Orleans a few yrs back in this pic.

Once the current bike is paid off, I'll be looking to pick up another wide glide.
Hi Ampster,
How'd the trip go with everything on board, bike run well for the duration? I'd like to do some of the same but as winter is quickly approaching it looks like next year springtime possibly.
SD

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DavidsWG.. I like the loaded WG look. How does it handle with the pack on back?

scdyna: That was the original paint scheme on my bike before the re-paint. Bike had a deep scratch on the tank & rear fender when I bought it, so over last winter it got a new coat.

EasyWider: Man that's a nice looking ride.

Thanks everyone for posting, it's great to see these bikes.
SD

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi Ampster,
How'd the trip go with everything on board, bike run well for the duration? I'd like to do some of the same but as winter is quickly approaching it looks like next year springtime possibly.
SD
She made it there and back with some issues. The night before we left, the starter clutch gave out for the 2nd time. I went ahead and just bought a whole new starter this time and had it installed by the time it was gettin dark outside (no decent shed or garage to work in)...

In trying to beat the darkness, I must not have tightened a couple of screws good enough, one not so important the other was.

Just as we were pulling into New Orleans two days later, I noticed I lost a screw to the chain inspection cover on the primary (not so important). The very next day on our way heading west along the gulf coast, every other time I went to start her, the starter gear wouldn't engage. I found if I jerked the bike to the left, it seemed to always start then - not sure if that actually made it work or was it something in my head!

Nursed her home - probably wasn't a big deal but this was the first long trip I'd ever done on any bike so just took it easy anyways. We did not shorten the trip or change the planned route due to this however.

After we got back, I was really worried what I'd find in the primary - turned out the starter gear screw (forget actual name now) had striped out and the starter gear was just floating freely left to right, it engaged when it felt like it and when it didn't she would just spin.

It was actually the cheapest fix I'd ever done yet, something like $6+ some change to replace that starter gear screw!

Other than that, she rode just fine and I didn't have a problem with comfort like I suspected I would. We were able to do 4 to 5 hundred mile days with no problems.

Oh yeah, she handled just fine with everything strapped onto the sissy bar and seat.

1. Full bag strapped to the sissy bar and hanging off the back
2. one man tent strapped to rear seat
3. folding chair strapped to rear seat
4. two more small bags and helmet strapped to rear seat.
5. hard to see in pic, but there is a sleeping bag strapped to the handlebar

All of that, and we didn't even camp! There was some flooding that year and alot of the campsites along our north to south route were closed.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts

Handles just fine. I have really loaded that bag up and put the saddle bags on for long trips and never have had a handling problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts

scdyna: That was the original paint scheme on my bike before the re-paint. Bike had a deep scratch on the tank & rear fender when I bought it, so over last winter it got a new coat.

EasyWider: Man that's a nice looking ride.

Thanks everyone for posting, it's great to see these bikes.
SD
im lookin to do something with the flames this winter like getting rid of the emblem and grey flame the whole tank

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im lookin to do something with the flames this winter like getting rid of the emblem and grey flame the whole tank
I understand and wasn't a big fan of the emblem either. It was just too plain. I did the paint over a few weeks of last winter as there was no rush.
Are you going to do the job yourself?

Please keep those pictures coming everyone!!
Thank you very much,

SD

·
Registered
103 Posts
i think the logo should have been painted in the tank like some other models

·
Registered
67 Posts
99 wide glide

here is my 99 wide glide i just picked up last month

1 - 20 of 57 Posts