V-Twin Forum banner

3761 - 3774 of 3774 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
It was called an FXLR Low Rider Custom, the was never a "C" attached. There was an FXRC from '85-'87, the candy glide and blue frames, so this may where the mix up started. The FXLR came from the factory with only a speedo but offered the tach and dual bracket in the accessory catalog, it was a common add on. The solid rear rim and spoked 21" front, leather strap down the center of the gas tank is how they came from the factory as well. The handlebars were unique to the model, I always thought they were comfortable. The FXLR and FXRS-SP were the only 2 bikes to get 39mm forks in '87. I waffled between getting an LR or SP when they came out, ended up getting an SP, but sometimes think of finding an unmolested FXLR.
THank You V-S ..... That pretty much sums it up. I'll try to remember not to put a C after the FXLR Low Rider Custom.. Never would have thought it would evoke such attention. But I think I better just spell out, "Low Rider Custom", after FXLR. 🤓

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Grrrrr... Sooo fvckin' jealous I could spit!
Arrrgh!
Sittin' here with gut staples and no ridin' for me.
Your bike still looks great. The right stance too.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Grrrrr... Sooo fvckin' jealous I could spit!
Arrrgh!
Sittin' here with gut staples and no ridin' for me.
Your bike still looks great. The right stance too.
I was over your way on Saturday, got a coffee from the coffee lady at the 100 & 9 junction in Wilmington near the flea market, then stopped at the brewery on Hogback Mtn.

Reactions: hillcat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's mine -- just bought it last week from the original owner. 1991 FXLR in what I think is Bright Candy Ruby (but I bet one of y'all knows for sure...) I am really excited and really proud to own it. In the late 90s I had a '92 and my wife had a 91. Stopped riding and sold them when we had kids. I started riding again 3 years ago and finally have an FXR again! I am probably going to do a bit to it, but I have a big ol' smile on my face for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
that is a great color, good score.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thanks man! It's gonna get some suspension and braking upgrades, and some powder coating, but not touching the tins. I love the color and they're in pretty amazing shape for being almost 30 years old.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the exhaust, are there any heat shields? What about a wrap?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I haven't found any heat shields for it yet. I did mention something in my review through Lowbrow Customs. Hopefully they will come up with something. They are the only ones that sell this for the FXR(that I have found). It is definitely getting wrapped. With having forward controls, I get burn marks on my pant leg when I hit the brake and the curve in the rear pipe gets me in the calf. It reminds me that it is there about one time every ride. Brand is Kerker, made by Supertrapp. Forgot to mention, this does not come with flanges or the c-clips.

3761 - 3774 of 3774 Posts