V-Twin Forum banner

3621 - 3626 of 3626 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Quualudes I love me a rotten ironhead something fierce! I always go after switches first, tons of crap gathers up on the contacts.... and kicking up an Ironhead will definitely make a man out of you and put hair on your ass for sure! I had a 76 xlch for a very brief period of time and it was a total disaster. Cant bring myself to go back.... lol not man enough I guess in my old age.... (29)

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I kept Nasty tuned so I could kick Nasty on one prime and one kick from cold. 1000cc is pretty easy. Mama Nasty at 1340cc has a lot of compression and damn, that takes work from cold. Ironically, the OG was starting her a screwdriver because the electric start was shot. I fixed that pronto. Warm kicks at a gas station fillup are easy enough, but I haven't sorted out the cold starts yet. It shouldn't matter, but it does to me. :D

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Just so's y'all know... the 79 Sporty required some extensive modification to add a kicker... but not quite what it takes to put a Functional Kicker on a 5 speed rubbermount Big twin...
Sportsters will always kick harder than a Big Twin due to the "leverage" and gearing of the kick assembly.
Tho unless the Cams were replaced on that '79 it should have been a fairly easy Kicker..
Finally... I actually Like the original V-Fire H-D Ignition, have more than one and Use one continually, as I regularly "test" them For Function...unless physically damaged, adjusting the air gap usually is all that is required to get them Back in Service..

·
Loctite Enthusiast
50 Posts
Yeah, lowering was a passing thought - looking at her and thinking, yeah about an inch would 'look' good. Lasted about 15 minutes of research and naaaaa... Mama Nasty (my Shovel) is a fun ride, not quite as fun as my 79 Sporty (The OG 'Nasty' with the namesake - 18 shades of black, loud and.. well... just nasty). Nasty was hella enjoyable when she wasn't trying to kill me. lol! Probably the most nimble bike I've owned and she was a blast light to light - trips... No way... But Mama Nasty is fun in her own way and I can carry my wife around for things she wanted to do with me. The original owner bought a Heritage Classic and had her up on sale but, like me when I sold Nasty, he was looking for someone who understood what kind of loving these old bikes need so she remains a thing and not just parted out. I actually hated selling Nasty, but I was literally out of room which predicated the whole leaving Mama Nasty there because I had no room to work. I have one more sell (83 Honda Magna) and then I will be golden. But I have enough room to do **** now!
Getting ready to sell my ‘79 Sportster XLH 1000 Ironhead. I always thought it looked badass and it is quick as all get out, but just not as easy on my butt as my other bikes.

·
Loctite Enthusiast
50 Posts
View attachment 265909
Just got this a few weeks ago. Put some slash cut pipes on it last night. its an ‘87 FXRS LOW RIDER EVO I believe. What do y’all think?
I like it! If I’d had anything to do with it, I would have kept the mid controls on mine - more comfy for the long haul. Looks good!

Reactions: compressor#v
3621 - 3626 of 3626 Posts