V-Twin Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 3629 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ironworker40 - I don't believe the rake was changed, I had no Harley experience back then so a shop did the initial assembly work (I did gain plenty of mechanical experience soon after, a good life lesson in there somewhere about the concept of buyer beware...…:censored:) but neck area doesn't appear to have been altered. It handles well with the main limiting factor being ground clearance.

Always liked the look of a springer front end and am happy to have something unique.

BOWEN - welcome. I do like the tank artwork on your bike now, were you thinking of returning it to stock colour as part of a full restoration?
I would like to find another set of skins from that era and have it painted back to the stock colors. I like the blue though, not many of them out there in that color.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I would like to find another set of skins from that era and have it painted back to the stock colors. I like the blue though, not many of them out there in that color.
Since I can Remember [at least to the early '70's] Blue Harleys have been Most Rare, and always sat on the Showroom a long time... Only Green, and "odd ball" Non-stock, colors are more difficult to Get Off of...
Yet... I think My next FXR may be Blue..My Deceased friend Much preferred Blue.. I may Tribute him...

·
Registered
11 Posts
^^ 5 gal??? Sheesh... in my advanced state of "maturity", I need to stop for Gas on the old 2gal Sportster, at Just about the time these old bones need a rest!!!!
Yeah I turn 60 this week and I don't know if I can do those long stretches any more. I plan to do some long rides and I always liked the look of a big tank on the flh's. I have 1990 electra glide as well for the long trips as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since I can Remember [at least to the early '70's] Blue Harleys have been Most Rare, and always sat on the Showroom a long time... Only Green, and "odd ball" Non-stock, colors are more difficult to Get Off of...
Yet... I think My next FXR may be Blue..My Deceased friend Much preferred Blue.. I may Tribute him...
Yes, like cars, red's and burgundy's seem to be very popular. This metal flake candy blue really stands out with all the chrome. I like it better than the original red from the pictures I have googled. It is easier to find in a crowd of bikes at a rally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with a GM colour for mine, “Autum Maple metallic”, as the mix ‘n match of parts required paint and that made matching touch up paint easy to find at the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with a GM colour for mine, “Autum Maple metallic”, as the mix ‘n match of parts required paint and that made matching touch up paint easy to find at the time.
I just googled it, I guess that is a burgundy colour. That is similar to my 1990 electra glide, its a 2 tone with the candy red being the other color.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doh! I’m an idiot - It’s an FXS LowRider!!! :/ Admins can delete this post if needed as I was excited to hang out and look at the other pretty bikes. :)

Original post:
Morning all!

I’ve had my FXR for about 6 or 7 years now. She kind of had to sit around for a few seasons when I got frustrated at the clutch and then my wife and I bought a new house, sadly with way less garage space, so lacked room to do things. I finally got inspired again yesterday to get her back on the road!!! So, maybe this time around I properly dialed in the clutch! I actually had installed a 5 finger clutch basket, new plates, Tamer and a new cable 2 years prior and she worked perfectly for 2 seasons before she decided to not dial in. Shovels are finicky, and she got ornary I suppose.

Battery’s old, so waiting for the store to open in a few hours so I can fire her up today lol! She's a blast to ride and not really modded with anything I consider a mod. PO had drag pipes on it so I got something more useful from LSR Racing, then some Jaybrake forward controls and a thinner La Pera seat for my skinny butt. Beyond that, not much else happening that I can recall... ;) I suppose the handlebars aren't stock, but they sit just under my shoulders and are comfortable. The kicker is likely not stock either as I needed to change to something that would clear the exhaust - but kicking at engine over kind of sucks a little.... haha

1982 FXR Low Rider

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
^^^ LOL..Since that is Not an FXR that kicker was at least an option on all 4-speed Harley big twins!!
Guessing that is an FXS low rider...and so the kicker is Stock...

BTW If i'm right and that is an FXS... the Bars were Drag Bars on Pullback risers..

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Looks a lot like my old 83 FXWG........................

Not to my Eye... yours looks exactly like I would Expect an FXWG to Look...and the Black Bike above...looks exactly like I would Expect a Remodeled FXE to look... note the rear fender, and the 5 gal Bobs...with aftermarket Dash... not to mention 35mm Dual disk narrow glide..Which is about the only Similarity to an '82 FXRS ... besides the Under Cammed Shovelhead engine..
1982 FXRS
STK822015.jpg

With FXS Exhaust and bars/risers

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
586 Posts
@Racepres i was being a bit facetious. It was mostly a 'the two FX shovelheads look nothing like an FXR and arent even remotely close' type of thing. Other than the obvious visual differences the old fx bikes were basically all the same AFAIK

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
@Racepres i was being a bit facetious. It was mostly a 'the two FX shovelheads look nothing like an FXR and arent even remotely close' type of thing. Other than the obvious visual differences the old fx bikes were basically all the same AFAIK

Oh yes...any 4-speed can be an FXE, or an FXS, or FXWG, or even FLH...Gotta know a bit more of the starter/batterybox/battery box mount, for the latter..

·
Registered
14 Posts
^^^ LOL..Since that is Not an FXR that kicker was at least an option on all 4-speed Harley big twins!!
Guessing that is an FXS low rider...and so the kicker is Stock...

BTW If i'm right and that is an FXS... the Bars were Drag Bars on Pullback risers..
Oh damn! I’m in the wrong room it seems! Lol! It’s hard to get it all straight sometimes especially when it’s been a while since I’ve touched her. LowRider it is for sure so FXS it probably is. I can delete the post because I am not one to intrude upon the fun :) Good reading here though! Very nice bikes :D

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
586 Posts
@Quualudes no worries brother we just gotta pick on you a little bit! Yours is a beautiful machine! I kick myself in the ass daily for having to get rid of the FXWG....

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Quualudes no worries brother we just gotta pick on you a little bit! Yours is a beautiful machine! I kick myself in the ass daily for having to get rid of the FXWG....

I totally expect to be picked at lol!! I mean, it's here for the taking!! I looked through my notes from when I was doing stuff on her years ago, and yes, confirmed, FXS all day long :D. I even had her as one of my vehicles on JP Cycle and everywhere else I shopped! /SMH haha!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The only requirements are for joining the Cult.
The FXR Forum is open to all but we are able to identify a FXR frame in the dark.
Yours is darn nice though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only requirements are for joining the Cult.
The FXR Forum is open to all but we are able to identify a FXR frame in the dark.
Yours is darn nice though.
Thanks! Even with me totally forgetting what she really is (and honestly, I've never known my bikes by model number so I always have to figure it out when needed anyway...), she still treats me well as long as I treat her well. Them old bikes love to be loved, generally with brute force, but tough love it is! :D

3581 - 3600 of 3629 Posts