V-Twin Forum banner

3521 - 3540 of 3551 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
View attachment 265390

My Ole Hotrod! 1988 FXLR-C ... owned it since 89, currently down with a broken oil pump\cam drive shaft. Basically snapped the flywheel center pin clean off in the case. I guess making 120rwhp for the last 25 years took it's toll .. sure was a lot of fun though...
I doubt that... Sounds like an Inferior Bottom End...or improper assembly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is that off the dyno? What's the specs?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
The motor was built by a well known mad scientist out of Gill, Mass., Dan Trenholme. Over the 1st several years, I did several upgrades, If I remember correctly, I did the top end with Axtell big bore cylinders and high compression angle top pistons, made a bunch more power until I broke the case dowel pins on the primary side. We fixed that, but decided I wanted more giddy up. I went with S&S cases, a custom S&S 96 sidewinder kit to take it out to 98". Custom ported stock heads with nascar style wedge work around the intake and anti reversion mods to the exhaust ports. Also had the intake chamber contoured to the angle top pistons, lots of money in them stock heads. I don't remember what the 1st cam is we used, but it was insane, I could get one start on a freshly charged battery, after that, I had to push the bike and hope I could jump down on the seat with enough force to turn the motor over.. it was a complete beast and untouchable on the street back then. I burnt a head gasket riding back from Cape Cod one day, while in for repair, we changed the cam out to something that would make starting easier, gave up some power, but when Danny dynoed it, they made 120HP at the wheel.. Well, I was happy, still pounded anything on the street and just had a blast for a lot of years. Almost forgot, S$S super G carb with a Thunderjet, changed out the drive belt with sprockets and chain, after breaking 2 belts. Also was using a Power Arc ignition until it **** the bed one year down at Daytona Bike Week. There are a lot more details, if I could only remember... I think Jim's lifters, lifter blocks and cam cover, and Super Trap 2 into 1 exhaust ... Now, here's hoping I can get Danny to fix me up again, motor is half apart, just need to get out and go from there. In the meantime, I ride my 09 dresser... just ordered the 107 kit, JP 2 into 1 and Power Vision tuner from Fuel Moto ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Never ran it at the track with the hot motor.... I tried running it with the 1st upgrades, I ran 12.1, I think around 113mph, feathering out the clutch so bad I warped the steels.. decided I was a better car, drag racer than a bike racer. I almost flipped it dumping the clutch, so I feathered it. Never really wanted to try it again. I like playing on the street with it.. Now my drag car, a 1986 turbo regal, 6cyl .. runs 8.30's @168mph.... with 10lbs of boost still left to throw at it.. and a lousy 60ft...

Oh ya ... "lite to lite" was meant for the street driving.. and of course lots of cruising mixed in with it..

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Never ran it at the track with the hot motor.... I tried running it with the 1st upgrades, I ran 12.1, I think around 113mph, feathering out the clutch so bad I warped the steels.. decided I was a better car, drag racer than a bike racer. I almost flipped it dumping the clutch, so I feathered it. Never really wanted to try it again. I like playing on the street with it.. Now my drag car, a 1986 turbo regal, 6cyl .. runs 8.30's @168mph.... with 10lbs of boost still left to throw at it.. and a lousy 60ft...

Oh ya ... "lite to lite" was meant for the street driving.. and of course lots of cruising mixed in with it..
At 12.1 the MPH is respectable... I usually don't worry about ET when Tuning... just MPH... No Drama... unless really Racing... then MPH don't mean nuthin!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I
At 12.1 the MPH is respectable... I usually don't worry about ET when Tuning... just MPH... No Drama... unless really Racing... then MPH don't mean nuthin!!
I'm with ya there, we build the turbo Grand Nationals for customers all over the country, street\strip ... when they go to the track to get a number and the ET is less than they were looking for... 1st thing I ask is what was the MPH ... lots of bad and good things happen at the starting line, bad 60ft equals bad ET. .... but the MPH don't lie! My problem was learning how to launch the bike on a sticky track... Maybe one of these days when I get it back together... I'll give it a try.. I've won and lost many a race at the starting line..

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Wannavee - that's an absolutely beautiful bike, and still looks pretty close to original, just as God intended.
Yes, she's a beauty.
I thought it broke down into two camps. People that liked original/stock FXR's and people that liked custom FXR's. But are you're saying that God wants them to be "pretty close to original"?
:D

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
That works.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
I can't see anybody being really Happy with 100% Stock...except to Show Off... Which...I may if I can get this '79 the way I want it.. So... I'm with the "God wants them to be Fairly Close to Original" Camp...
And... if for some reason you try to sell an Older Bike... Tell me which one folks are likely to Buy!!!!
Therefor.. which has Most Worth...

·
In disguise
2,745 Posts
Wannavee - that's an absolutely beautiful bike, and still looks pretty close to original, just as God intended.
I can't speak for God, but I always thought that there were modifications that made sense and then there were others that were more in the category of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I can't speak for God, but I always thought that there were modifications that made sense and then there were others that were more in the category of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".
That sums it up pretty well for FXR's. Now a days I really appreciate the "time capsule" quality of classic bikes in original form. Modifying new bikes doesn't bother me at all, but all new bikes eventually become old bikes...

·
Registered
1993 Harley-Davidson FXRP
72 Posts
I got the carb all done and put the stage 2 big sucker air filter kit on with new jets in it and all the fluids done. Took her out today and she was ripping. Setting off car alarms and little kids sticking there fingers in there ears lol. Running mint except a small (lean) pop I think ? From the carb every once and a while at like 1/8 throttle. Hoping to get the mids on next.. really looking forward to get rid of the forward controls...

Attachments

3521 - 3540 of 3551 Posts