V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My .02 on the Deuce

The Deuce is different in a lot of ways...both subtle and obvious.

It's the first Harley to come stock with chrome lowers. I believe it is the only current production Harley with a stretch tank instead of a fat-bob.

The rear skin is a 17 incher and 160 wide, and should take a 180 with ease. The closest thing to the rear fender on the Deuce would be the V-rod. The dash is quite different than most other Harleys.

The front end rake on the '02 Deuce is 34 degrees, on the '03 models it was reduced to 32 degrees. The 34 degrees was retained on the '03 screaming eagle deuce. I'm not sure why this is so. Alo the Nightrain and the ST standard had their rake reduced to 32 degrees on the '03 models.

This picture is of my Deuce when I brought it home. Since this picture was taken. I've made quite a few changes. Being 6 feet tall I needed more pullback on the bars, so they have been changed since the photo was shot. I have also extended the forward controls for more leg room. And there have been quite a few more changes also. I'll have to wait for a pretty day to shoot some updated photos.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Fulldraw...

GREAT bike! Nice photo.

Say, what seat is that you have on there... Corbin? I don't think that's the stock one. Do you have an OL who has spent some significant time back there that can give some feedback? That seat looks a LOT sweeter than the stock one.

Lastly... is that a scan of a photo/neg or a digital pic? If so, what kind of digital camera do you have?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Chopperdude,

Thanks for the kind words.

The seat on the bike is a Harley leather seat wth an Axe stitch pattern part# 52365-02. The seat looks good but it sure as hell ain't very comfortable. Short cruises to the local saloon it's ok, for the ladies it's little more than a crack cover. The stock seat is more comfortable.

These pictures of the bike were taken at the wrong time of day when the light was very harsh without a great background. The photos are digital taken with a Sony Mavica FD-97 digital camera. Because of the harsh direct overhead sunlight there are details which cannot be readily seen, such as the diamond cut cylinders.

As for the engine it's got everything but a stroker kit in it. Yes, it'll scoot!

·
Registered
236 Posts
You mentioned extended forward controls. Did you get new controls or just an extension, and what kind? I'm 6' 4" and looking for at least 2
extra inches up front!

Cheers Al

·
Registered
725 Posts
I took delivery of a Deuce back in April '00.

What a fantastic ride. You know what I get a kick out of? Seeing another Deuce go by as I'm sitting or standing somewhere -- just looking at its lines and stretched, low look. Isn't it great?

Steve

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
You mentioned extended forward controls. Did you get new controls or just an extension, and what kind? I'm 6' 4" and looking for at least 2
Big Al,

I looked at several options for forward controls. Most of the aftermarket kits from PM, Accutronix, etc. are in the $1000.00 to $1200.00 range. I gave it some thought and decided to go with the Kuryakyn extended forward controls kit and if I didn't like them it wouldn't be a huge expense. Also I was able to keep my pegs and heels rests. The heel rests make a big difference in the amount of leg fatigue on the long runs.

The Kuryakyn kit costs $300.00 and gave me 3 more inches and changing the bars moved my grip position back about 2 inches. This combination has turned out to be way more comfortable at highway speeds!!!

The Kuryakyn kit turn out to be just what the doctor ordered! The fit and finish of the Kuryakyn kit were excellent and it was a snap to install. The ride position very,very comfortable and looks kewl also. BTW due to this install I have a "deuce scripted" shift linkage that I no longer have a need for if someone is interested!

fulldraw, Nice ride and I like the diffraction filter lens you used for the pic's.
JMS,

The only filter used on the camera was a simple UV filter to protect the main lens. HONEST!!!

Thank you all for the kind words about my scooter!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks Fulldraw, I'll have to look into the Kuryakyn before next leg cramping season is upon us.

So where's the new pics?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Big Al,

The first chance I get when the weather pemits I'll shoot some to you. Send me your e-mail address and I will shoot some of the forward controls just for you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have an '02 injected, picked it up in March. My FIRST bike, ever. I love it.

Couple of things - higher steering effort w/ wide glide front end and I think more prone to cross winds due to solid rear wheel. However, have a Windvest windshield and that made all the difference for highway cruising.

Got the V&H big shot staggereds - very nice, now at 80hp w/ S&E filter and K&N kit/tuner.

What make/model handlebars will bring the grip a bit higher and back a few inches? I would like that !!

Wish there were some more options on bags but T-Bags was great to deal with - I have the tall passenger backrest and the roll bag for the Virago fit it perfectly.

Oh, whomever said above 70 mph was too windy probably never rode a motorcycle before....

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Let's hear the Deuce

Hear one Hear
:D

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I was in Waugh HD in Orange VA yesterday.

They had a '03 deuce on the floor with the "indigo flip" radical paint scheme. Cool:D :D :D but spendy:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
have a Windvest windshield and that made all the difference for highway cruising
Deuuuce, how are you liking that windvest?

What make/model handlebars will bring the grip a bit higher and back a few inches? I would like that !!
Harley makes a set of chrome bars that does exactly what you are looking for, the part #56330-00 page 599 in the '03 catalog. I installed mine without having to change any cables.

Wish there were some more options on bags but T-Bags was great to deal with - I have the tall passenger backrest and the roll bag for the Virago fit it perfectly.
With the tall backrest and the touring backrest pad, the super-t expandable will ride very nicely on my bike. It makes for an awesome backrest also.:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Deuuuce

Deuuuce, So this is your first bike or so you say......Does this make you an authority on who has or has not rode a motorcycle?. I gave my opinion on the Deuce I previousely owned for 3500 miles and got rid of because of the handling characteristics and the wind buffeting above 70 MPH and you say I probably never rode a motorcycle. Now let me tell you of my experience and I will let you decide for yourself. My first bike was a schwinn....my second and third was a Cushman Eagle motorscooter....my third was a Harley Davidson 165 which was a two cycle....bet you never heard of one of them have you??.....that was somewhere in the early 1950's.......I have owned probably 15 or 20 motorcycles in my life time and probably back peddled further on a Harley than you ever rode forward. I dont really need to hear from newby's like you concerning whether I ever rode a motorcycle or not. I just gave my experience with my deuce like someone ask but there is one thing I can still say....The Deuce is the best looking bike Harley builds.....Of course that is my opinion only....And yes, I think there was something wrong with the Deuce I had but I wasn't up to finding out what it was......If you think your Deuce rides so great....Have you ever rode a Heritage Softail or a Road King or an Electra Glide......If not you should try one...No comparsion..........Of course again, This is my opinion which every one is entitled to........After you have rode for 45 or 50 years come back and give your real opinion.............the final line is,YES I have rode a motorcycle before....................

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Geez, give the kid a break. He may never come back now. Fulldraw, Execellent ride! With the exception of some more added chrome, it is the exact same bike as mine. One reason I chose the Deuce is to be different than the others. We're unique. Fewer Deuces on the road!
PM me if that shift lever is still available.:Dennis

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: My .02 on the Deuce

fulldraw said:
The Deuce is different in a lot of ways...both subtle and obvious.

It's the first Harley to come stock with chrome lowers. I believe it is the only current production Harley with a stretch tank instead of a fat-bob.

The rear skin is a 17 incher and 160 wide, and should take a 180 with ease. The closest thing to the rear fender on the Deuce would be the V-rod. The dash is quite different than most other Harleys.

The front end rake on the '02 Deuce is 34 degrees, on the '03 models it was reduced to 32 degrees. The 34 degrees was retained on the '03 screaming eagle deuce. I'm not sure why this is so. Alo the Nightrain and the ST standard had their rake reduced to 32 degrees on the '03 models.

This picture is of my Deuce when I brought it home. Since this picture was taken. I've made quite a few changes. Being 6 feet tall I needed more pullback on the bars, so they have been changed since the photo was shot. I have also extended the forward controls for more leg room. And there have been quite a few more changes also. I'll have to wait for a pretty day to shoot some updated photos.
In your picture here is that a HardKrome pipe or a White Brothers?

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm still in love with the Duece. I really would like to know the thinking behind the reduction in the rake, if its true.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wow............. You guy's are correct, they did reduce the rake by two degrees. It appears that the only other numbers that changed were the lean angles. Maybe that is what they were trying to achieve.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got 2500 miles on mine and love it. It doesn't handle like my Honda Magna but it's not ment to. It's great on long trips and with a Windvest Windshield lowered to just above the headlight, it will block plent of unwanted air away from your body. My opinion is you might do better with a Honda for mountain rides and commutes and the Deuce for those long rides and motorcycle shows.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts