V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't bought one (yet), but hoping to take the plunge by spring. My current bike is a ZRX 1100 Kaw, but I never ride it hard anymore, and a buddy's FXDL has given me the bug.

So who's ridin' a Deuce and what do you think?? I love the looks and have heard that the TC88B is very smooth. Anyone have the 95" set up in theirs, and is it a huge boost?

Curious to hear any comments at all. I've read the Harley catalog to death, and can't find much in the way of road tests or recent articles on the FXSTD.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I ride a 2001 Deuce, it's a great bike and handles very well. Mine is stock other than V&H Longshots and a SE breather kit with carb re-jetted. I've never had any problems with it.

I'm wanting to get a Road King now, I want to do some serious milage next year and the Road King will serve me better for that. I'm going to sell my Deuce as my wife will not let me have two bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aaron, I had a 2001 Deuce and rode it 3400 miles and traded it for a Heritage softail. My deuce did not handle well at all. Really hard to ride above 70mph and a windshield served no purpose at all. The wind is awful on these bikes...better to ride w/o windshield. the TC88B engine is really nice and I would certainly suggest fuel inj. Hope this helps your decision. BTW if you get a deuce I got some chrome goodies for sale.......Jack

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm not wanting to get into a debate about the Deuce with anyone, but, I don't have any problems riding mine above 70. I have the H.D. standard deuce windshield on mine and don't have any problems with the wind. I usually cruise on mine around 75 and it rides and handles great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Deuce

Don, I live in Tennessee and ride the backroads which are rather twisty. The Deuce seemed like it wanted to push in a curve. If I got any where close to an 18 wheeler it required a white knuckle grip on the handle bars. The turburlence from the truck would push me all over the road. I have talked to two or three people that has the same opinion as me but most people are really satisfied with their Deuce. There is no comparision in the handling between the Heritage I have now and the Deuce so maybe something was wrong with mine, I just dont know and wasn't going to take a chance on going down and getting hurt. There is one thing I can say about the Deuce...It's the best looking bike HD makes...IMO

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ride an FXST:eek: ... but have a friends 2002 deuce in the garage

The bike is very nice with cool looks and smooth TC88B power.. you should love it..

Only downfall is the Handlebars are to short:p

Ape Hanger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the info. Kinda wondering now, though, most riding will be cruising in the mountains, not so much around town. Love the looks of the Deuce, but want to be able to be comfortable over distance too. We'll see. May pop for a rental day before buying.
Anyone else?
DonB- Love the flame job on blue!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Ape Hanger said:
Only downfall is the Handlebars are to short:p

Ape Hanger
Aaron-J, I don't know much about how the Deuce handles but it is one nice looking bike. I have also heard that the bars are too short for some people. There is a new HD bar available for the Deuce now that brings it back about an 1 1/2" closer to the rider. I bought these for my Dyna and I love them. Ride one before buying if you can.

Later,
FifthGear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having put all of 600 miles on my new Deuce, I can agree that the handling is not the best I've seen (try a Honda CBR for mind-reading handling). The Deuce has a raked-out front end that requires time in the saddle to learn. And I've got the compact windshield and I get more helmet buffeting than I like. BUT, it makes me want to ride more often than any bike I've owned previously.

Hook up with one of the Harley demo's around the country (Bikeweek in Daytona is a good one). You may find that a Dyna or a Fatboy is preferable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Aaron-j said:
Haven't bought one (yet), but hoping to take the plunge by spring. My current bike is a ZRX 1100 Kaw, but I never ride it hard anymore, and a buddy's FXDL has given me the bug.

So who's ridin' a Deuce and what do you think?? I love the looks and have heard that the TC88B is very smooth. Anyone have the 95" set up in theirs, and is it a huge boost?

Curious to hear any comments at all. I've read the Harley catalog to death, and can't find much in the way of road tests or recent articles on the FXSTD.

Regardless what you do to a Harley,it will not handle or run as well as a ZRX. A buddy of mine has one.It runs circles around my FXD and cost $5,000 less.Only in America!!!!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I ride a 2001 Deuce. My personal experience is that it handles well.
Currently, only added SE breather kit, V&H Straighshots, SS cables, and a touring seat. Only problem i had was a hissing coming from the gas tank, only had to change the clamps to the fuel pump with SS adjustable.

I also have hard bags on it, they are not very big but, big enough to hold
most needed items.

I think it's a great looking bike, and rides awesome.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
02Deuce...... It's the HD touring seat. I think it's comfortable, mainly got it for the wifey, she thinks it's real comfortable. Only difference i had to get used to is it pushes you forward about an inch. The stock had a deeper pocket. Can't complain though, i was about to buy a Corbin and found this one in an outdoor sale at the dealer. Everything new except the front metal lip that latches under the tank was missing so used the one from the stock seat. I paid $50 for the seat !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great deal on the seat!

And how do you like your pipes? Good power and not too load for the street?

I'm looking at the SE-II slip-ons.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
pipes are loud when get on it but they toned down a bit after a couple thousand miles on them.

I've got a PCIIIr on with the stage 1 upgrade, overall performance and power was a very significant change from stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the all the info.

I ended up with the carb version (originally wanted injection, but...bike on floor, exactly in the color I wanted, ok price with soon-to-end low rate financing, etc.). Been happy with it so far.

·
Registered
102 Posts
02Deuce,
I was going to get the SE-II slip-ons but one of the Dealer's I frequent talked me out of them. he recommended the Cycle Shack slip-ons. He said some dealers really push the SE slip-ons for $ and "Harley points". I made it a point to search out someone who has them and it turns out the Cycle Shack slip-ons sound better (louder too), are cheaper ($140 a pair) and perform better. As far as the performance, I can't speak first hand, but they obviously breath better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
After reading my reply I realize it may be mis-understood. I don't think there is anything wrong with the SE II's. I think they look slightly better than the Cycle Shack and they have a good sound. I'm just satisfied with the choice I made.

·
Registered
16 Posts
deuce appeal

02 DEUCE

I bought my ride July 01. I have over 6000 miles on it and I love it. I have not toured with it ,but it is great under 300 mile distances. I'm sure it is not the best handling bike on the road, but I'm never in fear of losing it. I don't road race it.
I have pegs with stirrups which are very nice. I also put the optional HD handlebar on which brings it a little closer to you.I have made a few cosmetic changes (chrome) but a few others too. The best changes have been the kit that converts the turn lights to brake lights. I also added a license plate cover with led lights. Rear axle covers with marker lights also. I was rear ended at a stop light, so I am trying to make myself more visible.
I also have added a 95" kit at the local HD dealer. It is a package they locally have blended with the use of a dyno. Head work,cams ignition bore package, 42mm mikuni etc. They call it the thrasher kit. I very highly recommend it. Stock is just fine but this is really great. It dynoed at 103.4 ft # torque and 103.8 hp. I'll never have another Harley with out it. I run the harley slip on mufflers #80381-0 and drilled them out. With out them, the performance is affected.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts