V-Twin Forum banner
41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,382 Posts
I've seen you mention this place before and I remember looking it up online and thinking it looked like a great spot. Can you share some personal experience info to go along with the sales stuff on their web site? Like how many can one of the cabins or bunkhouses really accommodate? How long in advance do you need to reserve?

I know the location is great. Not much of a ride there for me since I'm only just over an hour away. It surely deserves a scouting trip.
That place is rough. Really just a camp ground with some 2x4 bunks.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,302 Posts
That place is rough. Really just a camp ground with some 2x4 bunks.
Not even remotely true....I was just there in April but I understand some folks here requiring a more luxurious experience.

·
Registered
287 Posts
[QUOTE="<G Man>, post: 5946512, member: 97605"
It was in Laurel Springs, about 20 minutes from West Jefferson. I'm sure we could find another location in that general area. We might get some input from Allen Framen. He is on this site (occasionally) and lives up that way.
[/QUOTE]

Sadly, the former owners of Freeborn's sold it, but they have opened a really good restaurant in Sparta called Crave. Freeborn's is still there, but the food isn't quite as good, and I've not noticed the motel getting the traffic that it used to, especially since the evil clown rumors took hold. Stations Inn appears to be closed permanently, and the creek is starting to wash it away.

The re is a 3 bedroom AirBnb in downtown West Jefferson called Sky Loft. I'v never been inside, but a neighbor of mine owns it, and he likes everything to be first rate. Everything in downtown West Jefferson is within about 6 blocks. The former owners of the Hotel Tavern have opened a new restaurant two blocks away from Sky Loft. That new restaurant is called "The Tavern". Boondocks is still there, but they seem to be struggling to get people back since the pandemic started to subside.

There is an AirBnb in Grant, VA that is .2 mile from Sarah's Fox Creek General Store. Some DogNation Motors riders stayed there recently and really liked it.

Actually, there are vacation rentals all over Ashe and Allegheny Counties in NC.

allen

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,294 Posts
I've personally stayed in the bunkhouse if I remember correctly it'll hold 5...the Fontana cabins I haven't been in but pretty sure they'll hold 4-6.....they have single cabins which are just big enough for a full size bed and changing area...there are other options I haven't been in.....shower house is very nice....the place is rustic....Mo and Bobby live on the premises....they are great hosts but Mo can be a bit "grumpy" when things aren't going her way . lol

I go with a group I've met and become really good friends with on a shovel site....in fact some of em that are close are responsible for updating the gathering area.

It's a dry county but options are available close by....for our group her and Bobby cook dinner each night for a donation in the pot....it's great food but not sure they'd do that for every group....I imagine they do.....the cooking facilities are available for anyone who wants to make breakfast for the group......everyone is expected to help clean up including washing dishes after meals.....Mo and Bobby drinks a bit. lol
Since I'm so close, I could easily take a ride down there one day and check it out.

Reactions: FishinFather

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,294 Posts
Sadly, the former owners of Freeborn's sold it, but they have opened a really good restaurant in Sparta called Crave. Freeborn's is still there, but the food isn't quite as good, and I've not noticed the motel getting the traffic that it used to, especially since the evil clown rumors took hold. Stations Inn appears to be closed permanently, and the creek is starting to wash it away.

The re is a 3 bedroom AirBnb in downtown West Jefferson called Sky Loft. I'v never been inside, but a neighbor of mine owns it, and he likes everything to be first rate. Everything in downtown West Jefferson is within about 6 blocks. The former owners of the Hotel Tavern have opened a new restaurant two blocks away from Sky Loft. That new restaurant is called "The Tavern". Boondocks is still there, but they seem to be struggling to get people back since the pandemic started to subside.

There is an AirBnb in Grant, VA that is .2 mile from Sarah's Fox Creek General Store. Some DogNation Motors riders stayed there recently and really liked it.

Actually, there are vacation rentals all over Ashe and Allegheny Counties in NC.

allen
That's funny about Stations Inn since they supposedly just did a big remodel a few years ago. I remember the last time I was there with Therm, we went into the restaurant for lunch during a pretty good rain and we could see more than one taped off area for roof leaks. The owners seemed to have trouble providing even basic services even though the place was only at about 50% capacity at the time. I think we told you the "ant story" at the bar over dinner.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,830 Posts
We're holding out until you host a authentic Cajun cuisine banquet at your place.
Don't let him fool you. He's canceled me twice. He's a bit ahead of the curve there.

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,830 Posts
i check this forum most every day, i don't say much because
i'm a dumbass and i know it. give me a little credit....at least
i recognize it and admit it.
I still love ya [believe it or not].

joe

·
Registered
17,643 Posts
Don't let him fool you. He's canceled me twice. He's a bit ahead of the curve there.

joe
Unemployment and then a new hire kind of messes things up.

I'm pretty sure retirement fixed it.

Sent from my captainhook455 clone device

·
Registered
256 Posts
WideOne has hit on a subject that I have been thinking about for awhile. This is the longest thread I've seen for quite some time. It used to be that way. Long threads that went on and on about what someone thought. When I first came on board 11 years ago there was a pretty rowdy bunch on here who were not afraid to express their opinion or beliefs. I didn't get in on them but enjoyed reading them just to see who was going to throw the next punch.
To me it all seemed to change when the forum was sold to the Disney channel or whatever it was. It first started with the
" This Thread Closed " notice. Next it came to " This Member Banned " just for voicing your opinion and all the private spankings members got from admin. I enjoyed reading this thread because of the chit chat about anything and everything. Even the caveman showed up for this one. Homesick with his down home philosophy, G with his take on day to day life and I don't want to forget Alan S with his it may be short " but I got my point across ". The old crusty captain has even slowed down a bit. I didn't believe that would ever happen. At 71 it's getting harder to remember all the old names that have came and went but what's that they say " you meet new friends every day ". Ride safe guys.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,830 Posts
WideOne has hit on a subject that I have been thinking about for awhile. This is the longest thread I've seen for quite some time. It used to be that way. Long threads that went on and on about what someone thought. When I first came on board 11 years ago there was a pretty rowdy bunch on here who were not afraid to express their opinion or beliefs. I didn't get in on them but enjoyed reading them just to see who was going to throw the next punch.
To me it all seemed to change when the forum was sold to the Disney channel or whatever it was. It first started with the
" This Thread Closed " notice. Next it came to " This Member Banned " just for voicing your opinion and all the private spankings members got from admin. I enjoyed reading this thread because of the chit chat about anything and everything. Even the caveman showed up for this one. Homesick with his down home philosophy, G with his take on day to day life and I don't want to forget Alan S with his it may be short " but I got my point across ". The old crusty captain has even slowed down a bit. I didn't believe that would ever happen. At 71 it's getting harder to remember all the old names that have came and went but what's that they say " you meet new friends every day ". Ride safe guys.
Nice post.

A few used to whine about the old wilder, woolier VTF not being PC enough. I was grateful for it. We're a microcosm of society, another example that PC is just camouflaged book burning; intolerance for 'other' thinking.

joe

·
Registered
17,643 Posts
Nice post.

A few used to whine about the old wilder, woolier VTF not being PC enough. I was grateful for it. We're a microcosm of society, another example that PC is just camouflaged book burning; intolerance for 'other' thinking.

joe
One is no longer allowed to express an opposing opinion.

And I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
One is no longer allowed to express an opposing opinion.

And I'll leave it at that.

Clearly a case of "your perception is your reality" as I recall this place to be a Trumpanzee safe place where libtards were abused until they left. Including Mods.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So, is there truly interest in a meet and greet?
The further south the better for me... SC would be nice. NC is doable. VA is probable too far for a weekend. Someone mentioned LA? I might be game for LA too.

Prefer windy road, cold beer, good food but I can be flexible... as long as the company is good.

·
In disguise
2,898 Posts
JMO: I don’t hit motorcycle forums to argue or “throw the next punch”. I’m looking for information or trying to help somebody else doing that. If people insist on “I’m right and you $uck” stuff, there’s the Religion and Politics section. But even that should have limits. Humor and sarcasm inserted into productive discussion is fine.

I don’t see a problem.

Reactions: autoworker
41 - 60 of 110 Posts