2,809 Posts
i check this forum most every day, i don't say much because
i'm a dumbass and i know it. give me a little credit....at least
i recognize it and admit it.

·
Registered
2015 Ultra, 2003 Softail
14 Posts
Most of us "Newbies" take advice very well....... We HAVE bought all the manuals and take the time to fix whatever issue impedes riding. Especially here in Michigan!! All of the senior members have doled out great advice and it is appreciated. One day I MAY be stumped and can't figure out my issue, then, I shall seek your generous advice. Thank you for all the previous threads, they are a source of great information.

Rob

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,294 Posts
Interacting socially with folks you can't see face to face generally is a bad decision IMO.....too many jackasses that don't have a clue and couldn't function in a group of 3 without taking a smack to the head for saying something ridiculous.

people nowadays....what a waste.
Over the years I have met, in person, more than 30 people from this site. I have ridden many miles to meet some, some have ridden many miles to meet me. I have met individuals (and sometimes spouses) and I have been with groups of members together. I have been to one member's wedding, stayed in several members' homes, several have stayed in mine, we ate, we drank, we talked, we rode, we generally have had good times. I would say my "score" of good friend material vs those I wouldn't necessarily want to meet again is very high. In fact, I would be willing to meet anyone again for a beverage and some food, just some I wouldn't schedule a trip around.

Many of those people just don't come around here any more. Some still do.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,302 Posts
Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying folks on these sites aren't good people.....my negative comments are meant for most "social" sites (I.e. FB, Instagram, crap like that) the morons and dumbasses from scooter sites wouldn't show up to meet anyone anyway....I've met plenty of good folks on scooter sites...in fact most of my riding buddies come form one particular site (not this one) and we meet up all over this glorious country every chance we get.

·
Super Moderator
21,382 Posts
I hated that the last Laurel Springs trip got trashed, but then I started to think maybe it was a sign.

I know Fred was planning to show up.
Time to send the scouts out and find a new spot. We had talked abut the Marlinton Motor Inn over by Snowshoe WV. Has everything we need. Ground level rooms with at the door parking, restaurant, and bar. Even a pool for them what might be inclined. Gas and C-Store next door. Booze store about a mile away. And being its West By God, the riding should be good.

At the Marlinton Motor Inn, we are proud of our traditions of quality, hospitality and affordability. We offer 70 rooms with comfortable Queen size double beds, television and micro-fridges. We have an onsite restaurant which offers a large menu of traditional and specialty cooking and are fully capable of hosting personal parties, reunions, weddings and group catering.

We also have a bar, an outdoor pool and large areas of well maintained grounds for activities and relaxation.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,294 Posts
Time to send the scouts out and find a new spot. We had talked abut the Marlinton Motor Inn over by Snowshoe WV. Has everything we need. Ground level rooms with at the door parking, restaurant, and bar. Even a pool for them what might be inclined. Gas and C-Store next door. Booze store about a mile away. And being its West By God, the riding should be good.
You up for a scout ride or do we just pick a date and let everyone take the same chance together on it being a decent place?

I got my daughter (and family) here end of the month and then a ride to WI a couple weeks after that.

·
Super Moderator
21,382 Posts
You up for a scout ride or do we just pick a date and let everyone take the same chance together on it being a decent place?

I got my daughter (and family) here end of the month and then a ride to WI a couple weeks after that.
Not at the moment, but ask me again in a week.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
FB's success will always be a mystery to me.
I agree... Easy to figure out though... Just look at the people with the cell phones shoved in their face 24/7... I find it very sad.. Too old anymore but when I was still chasing poontang the bars got weird... Nobody was talking, they were all texting on their phones..... sad

·
In disguise
2,898 Posts
The usual suspects don't chime in as much. What to do?
Funny. Watching this thread and seeing members that I haven't "seen" in a while, participate.......I might say WideOne solved a problem.

I would add that I counted seven members in this thread that have been on my "like to meet" list for quite a while. Not going to list them. Some here have definite "personalities". Others I'm just not that familiar with.

It's probably only natural that over time, long-time members will fade away and new ones join.

Reactions: Homesick

·
Super Moderator
3,387 Posts
i check this forum most every day, i don't say much because
i'm a dumbass and i know it. give me a little credit....at least
I would say that you are smarter than you let on to be. You don't give yourself enough credit.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
We stayed with our June Trip group at Marlington a few years ago. About 14 bikes, 17 people. It wasn't bad. The restaurant/bar was ok, staffed well and patronized by locals at night but by the night clerk in morning. He advised Dairy Queen had better breakfast. He was right.
Roads were good, no problem finding good rides in that area. They had a fire pit but I don't remember a pool. Place is way big enough for large groups. Town is close and kinda cool.
I found the area strange. There is a huge radio telescope on the other side of Snow Shoe. They don't work well with electronic devices buzzing around. I'm not sure if that's it or not, but I felt like I'd entered the twilight zone or stepped back a couple decades. Not that that's a bad thing.
Snow Shoe was much more upscale, but only partially open. It is, after all, a ski lodge. They did have a couple slopes open. For mountain bikers. We missed the GNCC that was hosted there by one weekend.

·
In disguise
2,898 Posts
i don't say much because i'm a dumbass and i know it. give me a little credit....at least
I call BS. I'm thinking "Chief", like in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

·
In disguise
2,898 Posts
Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah, NC.
Another good possibility. Good roads and plenty of nearby attractions/destinations.

And another:

One more. This place is in Maggie Valley and has hosted a couple of motorcycle groups and myself over the past years:

Yet one more. I know the owners.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
............ the ranks are dwindling. Too many 18 year old threads being resurrected. The usual suspects don't chime in as much. What to do?
There is not a whole lot need to reply to 18 year old threads. There is a good chance that I won't be around for another 18 years. I can't waste a whole lot of that time.

I did enjoy meeting some of the members at the Flagler Airport a few years ago. I apologize for making some of you sick. Whatever I caught, came on me that night.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,294 Posts
Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah, NC.
I've seen you mention this place before and I remember looking it up online and thinking it looked like a great spot. Can you share some personal experience info to go along with the sales stuff on their web site? Like how many can one of the cabins or bunkhouses really accommodate? How long in advance do you need to reserve?

I know the location is great. Not much of a ride there for me since I'm only just over an hour away. It surely deserves a scouting trip.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,294 Posts
Another good possibility. Good roads and plenty of nearby attractions/destinations.

And another:

One more. This place is in Maggie Valley and has hosted a couple of motorcycle groups and myself over the past years:

Yet one more. I know the owners.

I've thought about trying the Pineola also.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,302 Posts
I've seen you mention this place before and I remember looking it up online and thinking it looked like a great spot. Can you share some personal experience info to go along with the sales stuff on their web site? Like how many can one of the cabins or bunkhouses really accommodate? How long in advance do you need to reserve?

I know the location is great. Not much of a ride there for me since I'm only just over an hour away. It surely deserves a scouting trip.
I've personally stayed in the bunkhouse if I remember correctly it'll hold 5...the Fontana cabins I haven't been in but pretty sure they'll hold 4-6.....they have single cabins which are just big enough for a full size bed and changing area...there are other options I haven't been in.....shower house is very nice....the place is rustic....Mo and Bobby live on the premises....they are great hosts but Mo can be a bit "grumpy" when things aren't going her way . lol

I go with a group I've met and become really good friends with on a shovel site....in fact some of em that are close are responsible for updating the gathering area.

It's a dry county but options are available close by....for our group her and Bobby cook dinner each night for a donation in the pot....it's great food but not sure they'd do that for every group....I imagine they do.....the cooking facilities are available for anyone who wants to make breakfast for the group......everyone is expected to help clean up including washing dishes after meals.....Mo and Bobby drinks a bit. lol

21 - 40 of 109 Posts