V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's the day. Just got off work and my leave has started. In about 8 hours I'll be firing up the scoot and ticking off the first mile of a 4200 mile road trip. Leaving Rapid City SD going to a buddies house near Mankato MN to !drunk! . Then to see the parents for a couple days in St Paul. After that I'm chasing the warm weather and headed to FL and NC:wootdnc: . After visiting friends out that way I'm coming home via St Louis to visit my sis.

First real motorcycle road trip. I'm so amped up I won't be able to sleep. I'll try to update when I can. Pics will be coming in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Ride safe! Have a great time!

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Geno, have a safe trip! I know you said in an earlier post that you'll be up on the BRP. We'll be there too from the 22nd thru 25th...if you see 4 guys with Georgia plates riding a Ultra Classic, Superglide, older Goldwing, and a Suzuki C50 give us a shout. Have fun!

·
Seasoned Wrench
509 Posts
Its just amazing...the mind set you have when you know your pointing the bike in a direction and just going! I know my frame of mind would be completely different if I was making that trip in a car, but, on a bike it is freaking awesome. Have fun and keep us posted, ride safe.

peace--

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 1: SUCKED!
Wake up at 7am and decide that 3 hours of sleep is enough, wait till the temp hits 50(about 9am) and roll out. 144 miles out of my driveway, going 80 MPH, bike shuts off. I pull over ant it won't restart. Have it towed to the nearest Harley dealership, $198. They tear into it and find out that I mounted my PCIII too high :duh?: and the swing arm crushed it when I hit a bump. $440. It's 4:30 in the afternoon and I had 400 miles to go. As the sun went down the temp dropped. I had planned on being at OBs house before sun down so I was not really dressed for 40 degree temps. Stopped and put on my rain suit pants to keep the wind out but they exploded after a half hour. It was still too cold to ride without wind protection so I strapped the ripped pants to my legs with bungee cords. They felt like tornequets around my calves but that's better than freezing to death. Finally got off the interstate onto a state highway and there's a semi overturned on top of a car. At this point my body couldn't detect cold any more so I decide to make my own detour on gravel roads. Road trips are about adventure right? 30 minutes of wandering around corn fields and I'm back on the highway. It was getting late (11:00ish) so I decided to stop for gas before all the stations close. When I got off my bike, the bungee that was holding my rain pants on snagged my seat and ripped a small hole in it. At this point I didn't even care, I knew OB had cold beer waiting. It was 39 degrees when I passed through Mankato MN at midnight or so. Got to OBs 20 mins later and we drank the night away. Took me about 3 hours to stop shivering. They say bad things happen in 3s. Well Karma: that's my 3, leave me the hell alone!:spank:

Day 2: Not bad
Only did a couple hours on the bike today. A half hour on some fun county roads, then I hit the super slab. I didn't think about rush hour and hit stop and go for about a half hour in St Paul. Got to my parents house just in time for dinner. I should have just went for the alternate route and had a fun drive the whole way. Pionting the wheels south on Sunday. Warm weather here I come!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RoadTrippin pt.2
Day 4: Chasing warm weather!

I got a late start because my cousin took me out drinking in a little college town. $1 beers + $1.75 shots=1 hung over Geno. Started the day with a great ride down the Mississippi river on hwy 35. Fun ride and a lot of bikes out. Once I hit the super slab I made it a little ways into Illinois and set up camp next to some white trash at Rock Cut state park. The word "****" was used liberally by these folks and their kids. The park ranger apparently didn't understand what I meant by "can I have a fire?", a couple hours later he yelled at me for having a 5 foot campfire, then he noticed my beer and bitched about that. Screw 'em, I clean up after myself.

Day 5: Screw Illinois

Illinois is a never ending state. All freeway miles today and it would seem that someone gave the state a billion dollars and said "fix all your roads at once". Freakin construction every 45 miles. Made it into Kentucky to set up camp. Road trip rule: Always ask a local where to set up camp. Road trip rule: Never set up camp in a dry county.

Day 6: Warm weather at long last!

Sweet ride down the "land between the lakes" as a little wake up then I cranked out the miles through KY, TN and AL. Today's the day when I realize that riding a softail with no windscreen or any fairings will beat you into submission. I got to FL and had a few beers with Tom and Annette. After 2 or 3 I was able to feel my shoulder again. I gotta get my throttle lock looked at.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
stop and buy a windshield so you can enjoy the rest of the trip.
Itoldyaso.

·
Registered
901 Posts
geno2w1 said:
it would seem that someone gave the state a billion dollars and said "fix all your roads at once". Freakin construction every 45 miles.
FYI: Just because there's lane closures, construction equipment and people in orange vests milling about don't assume that anything's actually being fixed.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
BluegrassBoy said:
FYI: Just because there's lane closures, construction equipment and people in orange vests milling about don't assume that anything's actually being fixed.
Those Massachusetts guys work in Illinois too? :Dennis

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cwo2lt said:
Jesus Geno, you gonna bitch the whole way? lol
it might sound like I'm bitching but that's just my way. I'm having the time of my life. :woohoo:

Fred--I can't buy a windshield. If I did that I wouldn't be able to call my buddies pu$$ies when I'm done with this trip.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
geno2w1 said:
it might sound like I'm bitching but that's just my way. I'm having the time of my life. :woohoo:

Fred--I can't buy a windshield. If I did that I wouldn't be able to call my buddies pu$$ies when I'm done with this trip.
A happy Airman is a bitching Airman eh? Well then keep on bitchin!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts