V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new black RKC with just a few thousand miles on it is already beginning to show scuff marks on the gas tank where my legs touch it while riding. I keep the bike very clean, wear jeans or leather chaps, and don't "grip" the tank with my legs. I also wax and rewax the affected area with Meguiar's Tech Wax to try to protect it, but still the scuff marks appear. These aren't really deep scratches, but you can definitely see it in the sunlight.

I've got some Meguiar's Scratch-X, and plan to try to remove the scuffs with it, but my real question is how to prevent this in the first place. What can I do to protect the paint finish in places where my legs contact the bike?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Only true way I see is to put some of the 3M clear chip guard stuff on the tank. Otherwise you will just have to deal with the scratches.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Since I started waxing my legs, the scratches stopped.... a little painful tho'.

Get some polish or swirl remover, then a good carnouba. You'll feel better in between scratches.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
8-Ball said:
Since I started waxing my legs, the scratches stopped.... a little painful tho'.

Get some polish or swirl remover, then a good carnouba. You'll feel better in between scratches.
Whoa...wouldn't do that!!! I tried it, when I hit the brakes I went flying over the handlebars. :yikes:

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
8-Ball said:

You, my friend are an expert relative to scratches on motorcycles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe if I wax the tank AND my legs? Hmmm...

Actually, I did think of the 3M scratch protector film, but it would be a crime to put something like that on such a beautiful bike. Then of course there's a tank bra, but I don't like that thing either.

I wonder if I just keep waxing the hell out of it maybe it will build up enough layers to resist the scuffs?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did the 3M film on my Deuce tank. Took a while to cut/template a piece I was satisfied with. Used as small a piece as necessary. Very hard to see even when right up next to the bike. Personally, if you're like me and like to keep your bike looking good AND like to ride, I think a little strategically placed 3M film is a good idea - especially on black.

I've even come across precut 3M/InvisiGARD film on eBay for various points on the bike (bike specific). Having said that, the only place I would considered using it is on the tank, and only as little as necessary. I think the precut/template film on eBay tends to cover too large an area.

Anyway, what it's worth :) -2$en#e-

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:
Actually, I did think of the 3M scratch protector film, but it would be a crime to put something like that on such a beautiful bike.
I've seen the film on fenders... looks like crap.... but then I have incredible taste.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I try to keep the bike clean and scratch free but I found if I ride, it gets dirty and scratched. All I do is wash and wax; when the scratches get bad, I will paint it. My bike is a rider not a show bike! I rather spend my time in the wind than trying to remove, cover up, worry, etc. about scratches.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Put the tank bra on my FXD (black paint) when it was brand spankin' new...the first time I cleaned it, I noticed some small scratches on the right side (more like a dull swirl in the clear finish)...4000 mi later, and they are still about the same. I've tried buffing them out with some swirl mark cleanser, it helped, but didn't totally fix it...they still re-appear.

One good thing, the tank bra at least covers up the spots...oh well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, so it's either wax my legs and spread 'em further, or get the 3M film.

Looks like 3M #84906 is a 6" x 84" x 6mil roll - is that the ticket if I'm gonna install it myself?

·
Registered
286 Posts
jmbaker3 said:
Whoa...wouldn't do that!!! I tried it, when I hit the brakes I went flying over the handlebars. :yikes:
That's because you didn't velcro your butt to the seat. :laugh:

My bud has a leather tank bra that covers that area to prevent scratches.

·
Seasoned Rider
547 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:

Looks like 3M #84906 is a 6" x 84" x 6mil roll - is that the ticket if I'm gonna install it myself?
That will do just fine. Beats the leg waxing or the spread eagle ride now doesn't it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:

I used 8mil film, but I'm sure 6mil would be fine. However, I would try and get a sheet that's more square than 6"x84' that way you'll have more choices on the shape and size you decide to use.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
do you have the stock seat? I found that on my e glide w/ the stock seat my legs rubbed the tank. No way around it. I changed my seat to the rallerunner and now my legs arent even close.....I know not a cheap way to do it but it worked for me......

·
Registered
338 Posts
I usually wax the tank after every wash -- NXT or S100. It only takes a couple of minutes. Both waxes have fillers which will hide the micro-marring.

Tom :cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts