V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has experianced this. Twice I have taked my 02' FLHTCI in for a service check-up. Both times the Dealers service tech lubed my stearing head bearings via the grease fitting below the upper bearing. After he finished, the thin grease ran out of the bearings, onto the lower triple tree. While the bike is on the side stand this thin (almost like oil) greese ran across the top of the lower triple tree to the left fork lower tinch bolt, through a slot, douwn the back side of the upper fork cover, and then drips off. It's hard to see its trail on the black triple tree, and the first time this happened, I thought the fork seal was leaking. When the service manager explained where the oil was coming from, I asked him why they didn't use a thicker or better quality greese. He told me they were only allowed to use what H-D gives them.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've seen it a bit. Not every one though. It's not rocket science and sure wouldn't hurt if you got some heavy duty stuff and used it. The service manager is also full of it. HD doesn't give them anything. The shop or each mechanic decides what they want to use.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I bought the Managers story hook, line and sinker...I mean I really bought it. I paid the bill!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts