V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you more electical type guys. Just bought a set of HD's saddlebag lid lights with the LED's. They are designed to be running lights and brake lights. I would like to make them turn signals and brake lights. The stock setup just plugs into the auxillary accessory plug, but I want to know if I can splice into the turn signal wires instead to get that signal. I figure the LED's have a built in load equalizer, as none is required with the stock setup (I can see resistors next to the LED's inside the lens). The LED's have 3 wires, figure one is ground, one for running lights, and the last for brakes. Can I just wire the turn signal "signal" into the LED's where the running lights would have gone and be all set, or will that signal mess up with the brake lights. I'm afraid I won't have the turn signals working if the brakes come on, and I would want the turn signals to have precidence over the brake light. Do I have to buy HD's turn signal converter to do this? Or someone elses load equalizer/converter? I also am having the tail light replaced with flush mounted LED's so I figure I'll need an equalizer for that too. Any thing available that will do it all? Thanks for any help.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Check the Fat Book for Badlands load equalizers. I had to use one when I swapped my stock blinkers to LED's. Was really easy to install (that was on a softtail so I am sure it is easier on a bagger).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kuryakyn makes a module to turn the rear turn signals into turn/brake/running. I believe that it also has a spot to plug in an equalizer. I used one on my sportster when I did a make over on it. I put on a LED tombstone light and LED bullett turn signals. You can then splice into that and you will have everything working.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not sure if I should try the lights without a load equalizer on first, will the leds burn out, or just flash wrong? Don't want to have to replace the leds. Or am I worrying for nothing? Thanks!
Jerry

ps NT30, how's your new bike coming along? What exactly did you do to it?

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
As long as you are wiring them in with the existing turn signals, those bulbs will function as the load. You should not need an equalizer unless you are totally doing away with the bulbs and using LEDs by themselves. It may affect the rate of the turn signal flash though. Might want to check it beforehand and get a benchmark flash rate. Wire an LED in temporary, and test the flash and self cancelling feature before wiring them in permanent and mounting the LEDs.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AustinFXDWG said:
As long as you are wiring them in with the existing turn signals, those bulbs will function as the load. You should not need an equalizer unless you are totally doing away with the bulbs and using LEDs by themselves. It may affect the rate of the turn signal flash though. Might want to check it beforehand and get a benchmark flash rate. Wire an LED in temporary, and test the flash and self cancelling feature before wiring them in permanent and mounting the LEDs.
Thanks for the advice, Austin. I'll try that. As far as the brake lights go, if I apply the brakes while making a left hand turn, will the brake light go on the left side, or will it blink for the turn? Guess I'll have to try that one too. Thanks.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
JerryL,

Still waiting for delivery (the heads for my 95" build are on back order. Should be here around the 17th).

Right now I have the bag extensions done and am waiting for the flush mounts to get in so I can install them.

The waiting is killing me! :crying:

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nt30 said:
JerryL,

Still waiting for delivery (the heads for my 95" build are on back order. Should be here around the 17th).

Right now I have the bag extensions done and am waiting for the flush mounts to get in so I can install them.

The waiting is killing me! :crying:

Sounds great! Make sure to post pics when you get it done! I stuffed a 180 tire/wheel into my dresser and now having the fender finished up. It sure is fun, aint it?
Jerry

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Jerry what 180 kit did you use? I want to try that next winter as well as moving my front blinkers into the fairing.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a !6 x 5 wheel on ebay and mounted a Metzeler 180 on it. A buddy of mine helped me with the rest. Put on a narrow '04 belt, narrow pulley, and some spacer adjustments. Machined about 0.050" off the brake caliper brkt. It fits right in the center of the frame. I'm using the fender kit from Fatbaggers. I liked that fender, but didn't want to pay all the $ to get the 200 tire in there ( I didn't have to install a wider swingarm or any trans mods). The 180 looks good. I have pics if you want to see. Since you already have the belt/pulley, it wouldn't take much to put one on your bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts