V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 92 FXRS has a lot of wiring in the bucket...no way to fit a standard depth light in there. Don't feel like rewiring...

The adaptive JW speaker PN 8690 is by far the best 5.75" headlight you can buy, no other halogen 5.75" will come close.

For those that have 7" buckets such as the RT/RP models and don't insist on LED, I highly suggest the Koito E code seen here. This reflector has a flat lens and a bulb shroud.

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
My 92 FXRS has a lot of wiring in the bucket...no way to fit a standard depth light in there.
Actually a standard sealed beam fits. When I first got my bike (wrecked) and was getting it road worthy, I dropped the glass lense while replacing the flasher. I didn't want to wait for another lens and/or head light assembly so I went to the local auto parts and bought a regular sealed beam. I know it doesn't get too hot in the bucket because I run the light all the time while running so folks can see me. I haven't melted wires yet and that was 4 yrs ago.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I have not seen a 5.75" led headlight on Amazon that was thin enough to fit in the FXR bucket with all the wiring that is in there...

I purchased the following from China and tied in the DRL to the low beam. Plenty bright and very little current draw. Not DOT approved.
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Has anyone found a good LED headlight that will fit an FXR with stock wiring inside the bucket. I have bought two that didn't fit. Too long. One was a bulb only the went into stock reflector and one was a sealed unit looked like a Daymaker. My buddy made out real good he put them on his shovel and street glide and I still have a POS headlight. No I am not butchering the wiring harness so thats not an option.
I bought from Eagle Lights, Item SL8921B, It fit right in my original 1985 bucket, and plugged right in no problem, very thin. I like it.
$149.99

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I bought from Eagle Lights, Item SL8921B, It fit right in my original 1985 bucket, and plugged right in no problem, very thin. I like it.
$149.99
That's the only one that will fit that I have found. I just don't care for the looks of it. How is the light output?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wisamic 5-3/4 5.75 inch LED Headlight
Was too deep for my 1987 FXRC. Used it on my FXSTSB and looks and works so much better than the original. Photos for clarity of issue. IMG_5252.jpg IMG_5251.jpg IMG_5253.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
That Eagle Lights item might be the ticket for me too. I've been wanting to upgrade the headlight on my 1985 FXRS for some time but have held off after reading so many"issues" trying to fit these LED's into that overcrowded little bucket.
Don't care how it looks in the middle of the day if it "lights up the night" and makes riding after dark more safe. I'm hoping wbecker will come back with some comments on it's night riding performance.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I have not seen a 5.75" led headlight on Amazon that was thin enough to fit in the FXR bucket with all the wiring that is in there...

I purchased the following from China and tied in the DRL to the low beam. Plenty bright and very little current draw. Not DOT approved.
I bought one that is apparently identical to that, but I paid $145 at Eagle Lights. I call and asked if it is DOT approved, the guy said "all our lights are DOT approved". Anyway I have had it for 3 years now, works ok for me but I don't ride at night much.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'll get some pics later, but I've got the JW Speaker adaptive 5.75 in my 91 FXRS.

It's awesome!

I think I redid the wiring inside the bucket to use bullets to save space. I'll have to go through my old pics...

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
I think I redid the wiring inside the bucket to use bullets to save space. I'll have to go through my old pics...
Bullets?

·
Registered
50 Posts
How close was it to fitting?
I installed 2018 the same or very similar than CMS1 in my 1993 FXR. All original wirings, it was close fitting. Infact it was really pain in the... to make to fit. I had to rearrange connectors dozen times. Been there now three seasons, works fine, is real "day maker" (i drive in dark / wet / dark and wet conditions). Bought from China, around 30 EUR (about 40$). DOT and E approved like all chinese products... ;-))

·
Registered
105 Posts

At that price point, vs $149.00 or so, I thought it might be fun to give it a try, but the listing says: "Cannot deliver to United States"
Oh well....

·
Registered
39 Posts
My father's '94 FXR Super Glide has the wire mess in the head light.

You are correct. They changed at some point and they only had headlight wires in the bucket. I want to say when they went to the 39 mm forks but im not positive of exact date. All 35 mm have the mess of wires in the headlight
Without the wires any light will fit.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have a 94 fxlr. there's no wiring in my headlight.
As Stock????
I have a '92 FXLR. Yes, as stock.
The FXLR has a bottom mount and no eyebrow. I have a '90 FXLR that has the Wisemac but I have a softail bucket now. The Wisemac has a much brighter low beam than stock but the high beam isn't much more powerful than its low beam.
Something has broken inside my rubbermount bucket and it shakes and moves pretty bad right now. I noticed my high beam doesn't work now. Not sure yet if it's the light or something else. It's about two years old.
It is great for being "noticed" by car drivers.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
OK... My '94 is Not an FXLR and certainly has a "Full" headlight housing... I forgot about those FXWG type headlight housings... Excuse me please... I do believe the Sportster used it as well....but... I do Not keep up with All of the variations...

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
.. I do believe the Sportster used it as well....
The few Sportsters I've been around all had the headlight eyebrows.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The few Sportsters I've been around all had the headlight eyebrows.

Agree but there is , according to local rumor, some type of "sport" Sportster [redundant??] that used the Post Mount, vs Eyebrow..

Sittin here thinkin on it... last I knew that was an early FXWG thing!!!!!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts