V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone found a good LED headlight that will fit an FXR with stock wiring inside the bucket. I have bought two that didn't fit. Too long. One was a bulb only the went into stock reflector and one was a sealed unit looked like a Daymaker. My buddy made out real good he put them on his shovel and street glide and I still have a POS headlight. No I am not butchering the wiring harness so thats not an option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have one I got from amazon. It's the wisamic or something like that. it was cheap, it fit, and it works. I think it cost around $30 or $40

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have one I got from amazon. It's the wisamic or something like that. it was cheap, it fit, and it works. I think it cost around $30 or $40
I have not seen a 5.75" led headlight on Amazon that was thin enough to fit in the FXR bucket with all the wiring that is in there...

I purchased the following from China and tied in the DRL to the low beam. Plenty bright and very little current draw. Not DOT approved.

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Reactions: LumberjackLloyd

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not seen a 5.75" led headlight on Amazon that was thin enough to fit in the FXR bucket with all the wiring that is in there...

I purchased the following from China and tied in the DRL to the low beam. Plenty bright and very little current draw. Not DOT approved.
Yes I have seen that one and It's the only one that I found will fit. I don't particularly care for the looks of it. I got two extra headlight buckets. I need to fab up a bucket that is 3/4'' -1'' deeper.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"Super brighter" I'd say that's China alright.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
And super bright doesn't = better illumination as many believe. I'm not convinced that a DOT LED is better.

I get the comments... I run Koito e-codes with in my DD Jeep that has 7" buckets. On high beam they illuminate the road for some distance yet are easier to oncoming traffic than modern DOT spec. However, one cannot get enough light onto the road from a 5.75" halogen reflector leaving LED the only option. And the only one that I have seen that will fit into the FXR bucket.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lloyd...
Please tell us more. How well does that light work going down the road at night..??
What is the issue with "DOT approval"..??
Thanks.

·
not sober all the time
5,709 Posts
I use an e-code H4 on my '04 Road King with a pair of PIAA 5164 4" driving lights on the engine guard bar. My 2015 Ultra Classic with the "Daymaker" is bright. Oncoming traffic should have no excuse not to see you coming. It has a decent amount of illumination where there is light but beyond the edge of the cutoff, it's dark. Raising it up a little reveals little improvement as it apparently lacks the power to throw light down the road. I added a pair of Baja Design S2 LED lights to the engine guard bar which was a major improvement.

I understand the limitations of the smaller reflector on the FXR.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lloyd...
Please tell us more. How well does that light work going down the road at night..??
What is the issue with "DOT approval"..??
Thanks.
I assume you may not be in the states? Approved lighting has a DOT (Department of Transportation) stamp on the lens; meaning that it is certified for use in the states. There "could" be an issue if you were to be stopped and found to have non compliant lights. I have never seen this happen; just a disclaimer with my recommendation.

Is the LED light anywhere as good as the 7" Koito's in my Jeep? No. It is quite literally a pod of LED's that do not have proper optics to put light where needed.However, what needs to be more illuminated is more illuminated than with the stock halogen without being ridiculous to oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
And super bright doesn't = better illumination as many believe. I'm not convinced that a DOT LED is better.
Since I'm not too much on riding after dark, I don't worry about that. I mainly want oncoming traffic to see me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you Lloyd. I am in the U.S., just never understood the "DOT" approval for headlights.
Sounds like it's not great, but better than stock for our 5 3/4 buckets, and it FITS.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What year bike do you have it in the 1982? Do you still have all the wiring inside the headlight bucket?

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far as I know. I bought the bike with 25k on it. Everything else was stock. I assume the headlight bucket was too. The wiring harness wasn’t messed with outside of some repairs.

·
In disguise
2,760 Posts
Couple of things. first, my 1999 FXR2 has only the headlight wires in the headlight bucket. Not sure when the wiring harness was changed from the factory. I've seen some earlier FXR's with a large bundle of wires in the bucket.

About the search for LED bulbs/whole LED headlight assemblies. A couple of years ago I tried a number or each and finally decided that LED H4 bulbs are not compatible with lenses designed for incandescent, filament H4 bulbs. The LED H4's simply can't direct light into the reflector in the right places, meaning the light coming out of the lens onto the road can't be where it's needed. Bright spots and dark spots. I tried H4 bulbs that were cheap and one that was expensive with the same result. Crazy bright when just hanging from the wire but once installed in the lens, disappointing. Also, a couple of LED headlight assemblies that replaced the stock lens and bulb were found to put out lots of light, but not where you need it. The common factor with the whole headlight LED assemblies was that the low beam pattern seemed OK, but the high beam was pretty much just more light on the low beam pattern. And that pattern seems to lift off the ground when you lean into a turn, effectively riding into the dark on the outboard side of a turn. After my experiments, I sent back to a Sylvania Silverstar H4 halogen which may not be perfect, but it puts light where I need it. And like Alan, I don't much ride at night anymore, anyway.

HD Daymaker LED headlights may be better, I don't know. They're much too expensive for me to try without knowing for sure. I've also heard that those from JW Speaker (also very expensive) actually work but again, too much money for me to try without being sure.

Here's a thread that I did about the bulbs/headlghts I tried:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a 94 fxlr. there's no wiring in my headlight.
You are correct. They changed at some point and they only had headlight wires in the bucket. I want to say when they went to the 39 mm forks but im not positive of exact date. All 35 mm have the mess of wires in the headlight
Without the wires any light will fit.

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
You are correct. They changed at some point and they only had headlight wires in the bucket. I want to say when they went to the 39 mm forks but im not positive of exact date.
That's a negative. My 1990 FXRS has 39 mm forks and gobs of wires along with the turn signal flasher in the bucket.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts