V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any trouble with the led gas guages i installed the flush mounted one and all was fine then i lost a couple led's and now they are all out just wondering if anyone has had any similar troubles

·
Gravel
23 Posts
You have an HD one or the Kuryakyn gauge?

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I have the HD one and it's a POS. Every time I wash the bike they go out for unknown periods of time and only when it's in direct sunlight do they eventually come back, until the next wash. Of course the stealer says too bad nothing they can do about it since I installed it myself. Cause, after all, I'm not a qualified tech, you know they know a lot more than I do. :whatever:

·
Gravel
23 Posts
Typical stealership answer. Too difficult for idiots like us (that can afford a $30k machine) to hook up 3 or 4 wires correctly...
:wacko:

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Mine lost two leds after about 8 months. I talked to HD about it and they told me they would replace it but only if a dealer installed it. Stealer told me it could be up to an hour and a half for installation.WTF?????I put it in originally in half an hour. SO F*** Harley it was the same cost to buy the Kuryakyn guage and matching fuel cap. Surprise, the Kuryakyn guage is more accurate AND I got a volt meter. F*** Harley, if I can find it aftermarket I'll buy anything but Harley parts from now on.

Joe

·
Registered
621 Posts
113DELUXE said:
Anyone have any trouble with the led gas guages i installed the flush mounted one and all was fine then i lost a couple led's and now they are all out just wondering if anyone has had any similar troubles
Yep, I installed the flush mount and it failed similiar to yours. Worse, my HD clear coat on the gas cap side peeled up when I installed the flush mount gas cap. HD made good on the repair since the tank was new and part of their numbered set.

I went back to the analog meter and regular gas cap.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I went back to original as well. Got 11 months out of mine before it failed. Not the flush mount one but I expect the problem is the same. When mine crapped out I took it apart and found that water gets into the little LED "windows" and causes the LEDs to short out on the circuit board. I could see the corrosion trail leading directly from the "window" to the base of the LED.

The HFD ones are junk! Stay away from them...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like i'm switchin to kuryakyn

·
Gravel
23 Posts
113DELUXE said:
looks like i'm switchin to kuryakyn
That's my plan... just haven't decided to spend the money yet. I'm saving for the speedo/tach combo since my speedo/odo don't work.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
My flush mount LEDs have been running fine since Installation in December...

Now, The flush mount gas cap on the other hand is a total piece of crap, and I ended up having to take the trim ring off just to get it to pop up.

Dealer won't replace it because everytime I've gone in, the stinkin' things worked, so I can't "prove" it's sticking.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Water intrusion

I believe water intrusion is the culprit. I have sealed the bottom of my Harley LED gas cap with silicone sealer all the way around the edge. So far so good. I don't have the flush mount, I have the regular LED cap. My first one failed after 4 months. Some of the LED's stopped working.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Harley gas gauge

I've had the set for about 8 months now. Gauge has never been accurate since day one. Had it apart a couple of times still no go. I just watch my odometer for the amount of miles I have traveled and fill up early. The chrome ring around the gas cap let go. The double face tape kind of sucks so the ring comes loose. I had to use Gorilla glue to hold in place and its starting to come loose again. I'm going to swich to Kuryaken.

·
Registered
727 Posts
113DELUXE said:

Can't beat the odometer.

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
fuel light/kuryakyn fuel gauge

Not to hijack this thread, ....

I have a Kuryakyn Fuel gauage/voltmeter and my fuel light came on when I filled up. The gauge says full, but the HD Low Fuel light on the dash is on....

Anyone with ideas out there??

Stealer did the install and last time they had a short somewhere now all was fine until I filled up....

I run a HD Tacho/Speedo on my bike....cmon you gurus....need help here....

Cheers

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
seamonkeyman said:
Not to hijack this thread, ....

I have a Kuryakyn Fuel gauage/voltmeter and my fuel light came on when I filled up. The gauge says full, but the HD Low Fuel light on the dash is on....

Anyone with ideas out there??

Stealer did the install and last time they had a short somewhere now all was fine until I filled up....

I run a HD Tacho/Speedo on my bike....cmon you gurus....need help here....

Cheers
The Kuryakyn has 4 wires...Black,Yellow,Orange and Gray..
The stock Harness has three..Black,Yellow and Orange..The gray wire was supposed to be ran up and under the Speedo and connected to the Yellow/White wire going into the clip behind the sppedo..
The other end of the yellow/White wired should just be taped off...

I just did this repiar on my 06 Wide glide and the Low Fuel light on the dash is no longer functional at all...

Call the Stealer I bet my bottom $$ they didnt wire up the gray lead....

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hi,
I just received the Skull Cap for my 03 Carb king. I hate to say this but it clearly states on the sheet that it DISABLES the Low fuel waring lamp...Well maybe not so clear but it is there.
I was panning over the Service Manual and Install sheet and so far it seems that mine is plug ad play. mods need to be done on this model idf its FI for 01-03 04 + Carbs and 04 + FI
Looks simple enough as I said for my 03 Carb
Good Luck
Yaco

·
Registered
4 Posts
My skull digital gauge did EXACTLY the same thing after 6 months on the bike! My dealer told me EXACTLY the same thing: nothing they could do... 90 day warranty (which is ridiculous for a $150 part!). Well, I got on the phone right there in the dealership with HD HQ. I told them how absurd this was; how I could, theoretically, have to purchase 4 gauges per year to keep it up and running! Well, after 20 minutes on the phone with HD, they called the dealership and after another 30 minutes they "worked it out" for me and gave me a new gauge.

So, if you ask me, it sure sounds like they have a production issue with this gauge. I bet they know about it (surely!) but will only replace it if you press the issue with HD corporate. I did and it worked for me.

Good luck! And, never take NO for an answer! Not that easily!!!

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
LED guage side wanted OEM HD

if any of you guys with a 04-06 RK bike with the LED set up that they're taking off because of problems (or not)...and you want to get a few bucks for it, PM me. I'm doing a custom install on a earlier RK and am needing one to mock up and potentially wreck. Paypal $$$ awaits.
Tim

·
Live 2 Ride~Ride 2 Live
116 Posts
I have a 2000 Road King injected....is Kuryakyn the 'only' company that is making a LED fuel gauge for this year bike?? Landmark Manufacturing used to make one back when I ws looking in 05 but now they don't....so I guess from what I have read, Kuryakyn is the way to go???
thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts