V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems every bike I get I start changing or customizing. Yes I need some bags and a shield, a sissy bar for the Girl. Then I get carried away, this, that and the other.
Well I have had this Dyna Lowrider for 3 months now and I have not changed a thing. It came with a shield and sissy bar, I threw on some old bags and have been riding it as is.
I have customized so many bikes over the years, I am just tired maybe. I make a plan and a parts list then I say Hell just ride it.
I have spent and wasted so much money over the years I could buy 3 brand new dressers. Instant gratification, then give it away to the next guy who changes everything again.
How many of you just leave well enough alone and ride it like you bought it? A better question perhaps , is there anyone out there that rides a Bone Stock Harley? I would like to see 1 picture of a 10 year old PURE STOCK Harley Davidson, Do you have one ? Show It Off.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
I get you. I bought my FLHX in 09 and have only done a stage 1, seat and windshield. I have not been inside the engine which is very unusual for me.

I'm still planning to change out the handlebars for comfort but, I'm not cracking this one open.

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Can Put my FXR4 Back Stock except for Seat and Pipes .. But enjoy it far more like it is ..

·
Registered
552 Posts
I saw this poster in Sturgis and thought it hit the nail on the head for many of us
" Appreciate the finer things in life and then Buy them"

How true

Attachments

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
09 Electra Glide Standard; stage one, HD oil cooler, HD rack and backrest. And that's it. I'll never spend money on replacing a perfectly good component with another one because of a different finish. Future expenditures on this motorcycles will be limited to tires and maintenance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not ten yrs.old but I picked it up late this past summer and it will remain stock.
Man that is one clean Shovel.Always liked the FXRT.Only thing I would need on it would be a rear rack to haul my lunch box:beer:

Now my old Shovel has morphed so many times I cant remember.But I have it where I LIKE it best now

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm sure if I bought any bike that I would start changing stuff up on it to some extent. I just like to add my own personal touch to most anything I ride or drive.
Mostly its stuff that I fabricate myself tho...not just parts swapping. Some folks may like it and some folks may not, but either way, you can't just go buy it off of any parts shelf. :coffee:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Rode it Stock for 72000 miles

Then restored it to almost stock.... The motor was tired so I rebuilt it....the aluminum was pitiful so I chromed it..... The pipes were shot so I replaced them..... the seat was torn so I replaced it...... paint was scratched so I painted it. Other than that I hope to ride it another 72000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
as some one who has spent a bunch of money trying to make a bike something its not i would say yes leave it stock.
If you want a fast bike just go buy one ,its way cheaper.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,762 Posts
Not ten yrs.old but I picked it up late this past summer and it will remain stock.
It's ok, man. I think a 30 year old stocker qualifies too. Randayn's not THAT hard to get along with.

I love it, and the ham can just adds period character.

joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
How many of you just leave well enough alone and ride it like you bought it? A better question perhaps , is there anyone out there that rides a Bone Stock Harley?

I sure do! I fully intend to leave my '04 Dyna Defender Police completely bone stock. How rare is that?

Couple of reasons. First, I think it looks pretty darn cool in police trim, and secondly, being stock is just what makes it rare. How many Dyna Defenders have you seen? Beyond that, how many have you seen that were bone stock (left alone)? I'm guessing, pretty darn few!

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
It's difficult to leave them stock. Especially when you attend rallies and see all the cool looking custom bikes. For me it's about keeping things fresh and interesting. Plus it provides me with some quality time during the winter down months.

I try to change a little something on my bikes every year. Some mods can make it seem like having a whole new bike. Kinda takes the craving away from wanting a new bike. This winter i've changed the bars and front wheel on my Street Glide. It truly does look/feel like a totally different bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 01 ultra has stage one,plus a few small things like grips, different floorboards, headlight/running light trim...that's about it..runs great...ain't broke so I have no need to 'fix' it. I like it just the way it is

1 - 20 of 21 Posts