V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought some folks might be interested in talking about riding clothes, so here's a start.

I somehow got too fat to get into my 24-year old leathers so started looking around for new ones. Since I'm now old and brittle in addition to being fat, I wanted something with armor.

Last time I bought leathers I lived in Detroit and there were about 1/2 dozen different places I could go to find exactly what I wanted. Here in the vast plains of Indiana, the pickings are mightly slim. The dealer has the H-D FXRG armored stuff, which is nice but oh-my-god expensive. I had just about settled for getting some butt-ugly Joe Rocket textile stuff when I happened across an online store that sells new, used and closeout leathers.

www.newenough.com

Ended up buying a set of Hein Gericke armored and water-resistant leathers from their closeouts page. The wife hated the pants (big patch pockets on teh thighs, yuck ...) so I traded them in on a different style (peace in the family you know ...), they shipped the replacements free and didn't charge me for the $5 more the other style cost.

I'm very happy with these leathers. Excellent quality stuff for nearly 1/2 the price of equivalent H-D gear, and excellent service fom New Enough. The usual "I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer' statement applies.

Buying new boots soon too The 24-year old ones still fit (apparently feet don't get fat at the same rate as butts and bellies ...) but are worn beyond repair. I'll post a report on the boots.

Anyone else have good-bad stories on riding clothes?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Tom,

I'm a big dude, always have been. You might have seen my queries about XXXL helmets (I bought two HJCs: a CL2 1/2 helmet and a FG3-K 3/4 helmet). The rest of me is as big as my noggin.

Anyhoo, I sprung for an FXRG midweight jacket (XXXXL). *VERY* nice, but also $$$$. This jacket has pockets everywhere, some for storing stuff, some to access the armor. HD warranties it for 5 years.

Regards,
wyodude

·
Registered
171 Posts
Man you guys sure are spending the money! I got my jacket many years ago(18?) when I was a cop. I got it from another cop who retired. The damn thing is probably 25-30 years old and heavy as hell. Yes I took the department patches off the sleeves! Couldn't fit into it for years but fortunately Dr. Atkins came along just about the time I started riding again:D It was a good thing because I too started pricing out new jackets. WOW!!!! This old one is in great shape and is probably made better than most you can find nowadays. As long as I keep those extra 20(o.k. 40) pounds off I'll be all set!!!!!!
Sheepboy- with his pathetic jacket story

·
Registered
297 Posts
My story is just the opposite of Sheepboy, I got a good deal on my first leather jacket at the local HD dealership, half price, can't beat that. But then Dr. Atkins came along and 50 pounds later, I was in need of a new one that fit better. Hubby got me a new one for Christmas, real nice zip out lining also came with a neck wrap that velcros into the back of the jacket, so you always have it with you.

Gotta love Dr. Atkins!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for posting the great site. Looks like they have some great deals, especially the close out stuff. My wife is on the Atkins (she's a Nurse) and loves it.. She just turned 50 last October and just got out of the Army last August, so the weight kinda krept on. She's only trying to lose about 10 lbs. I'm still active duty Army (27 years) so I still exercise to keep it off, although its getting harder!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truth be told, I'm not fat in the Harley rider sense of the word ... ;-)

5'10" 180 lbs ain't bad for Indiana ("the fattest state in the nation" ...)
I did lose 15 pounds over the winter on the Tom diet (don't eat so damn much, leave the snack items for the kids, and work out every morning ...).

Problem is the 24-year old leathers were bought when I was young, ate and slept little, boxed middleweight and ran my ass off everyday to make the weight. Ahh youth ...

Skydoc, I ended up getting the Hein Gericke Superbike jacket and pants. Excellent quality and the fit is exactly as described on the site. I would have gone for the Indiana jacket (more pockets) but they didn't have any left in my size. The leather is very nice, seems heavier than the FXRG stuff, armor is well placed for me. So far not warm enough to try the venting, but it looks like it will work well.

Speaking of helmets, I just ordered a Nolan N100E, one of those full-face lids with the hinged jawpiece (easier on-off with glasses...). Not the typical Harley pie-tin lid but I like the relative quiet and bug protection of a fullface. Maybe we can start a helmet thread, I sure would have liked to hear about the H-D full face before I bought it ...

Who makes good raingear?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pretty much everything is quite expansive when you talk about leather. Sometime it's just a matter of timing. I got my HD leather jacket at my dealrship when i bought my bike because they were having a huge sale. I paid $275 for my 2001 jacket (don't ask me the model because i don't know-sorry). Lots of pokets, leather of a very good quality and looks sooo cool. I have to admit though that probaly i wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been on sale. My friend just got one and spent almost $500 bucks for one with the internal gel/armor. 500 bucks??? that's a lot of money...

ride safe

G
Crazy Italian

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts

500 bucks??? that's a lot of money...

I used to have a Vanson leather mc jacket until some dirtbag helped himself to it.

I looked into replacing it...$750 :eek: and no HD label.

wyodude

1 - 8 of 8 Posts