V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on what to put on chaps and leather jackets to protect them from the occasional rain storm.
Have seen spray on stuff at the redwing boot store that is supposed to treat and give some water proofing to boot leather.
Thanks for any input......

23103 it like it's 10851'ed

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
Tom Rickner said:
Any ideas on what to put on chaps and leather jackets to protect them from the occasional rain storm.
Have seen spray on stuff at the redwing boot store that is supposed to treat and give some water proofing to boot leather.

Been usig Lexol as log as i can remember.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
I've had good results with beeswax based products. You may want to think twice before using a product that contains petroleum.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
If you don't keep the leather conditioned, it will dry out and crack. Lexol is one of the best products. Look it up online if you don't have a tack store in your area.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Leather care

I've heard good things about Lexol though I've never tried it yet. What I currently use is Obenauf's, www.obenaufs.com , and it is a beeswax based product that is very good. It conditions and helps shed water without destroying the fibers in the leather, but still allowing for it to breathe.

I agree about staying away from petroleum based products or anything that makes the leather softer than how you received it initially. The way leather is made softer is by breaking down the fibers but that is really just ruining the leather from the inside out. Bad, very bad.

Like dino versus synthetic oil, there are a lot of opinions on this subject so good luck!

Cheers,
Dennis E.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) Thanks for all the great info as always from this site.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
the best leather conditioner I've found is "Skidmore's" (google search the name). I was introduced to it in a tack shop in Montana. The stuff seems to be pretty widely used by ranchers, etc. I had neglected an expensive jacket for too long - Skidmore's make it like new again. I've used it on all my MC gear. It's not a protectant per se; I'm not a real fan of that stuff as it seals the leather and I don't think that is a good thing. Nevertheless, it has done a great job of protecting my gear from rain damage.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Tom Rickner said:

As much as possible stay away from petroleum based products...it eventually degrades the leather, in fact most oils do. (According to drycleaners instructions on cleaning/caring for leather)

·
Registered
134 Posts
...LEXOL. I've been using it for 15 years. Works well, and you can find it in auto parts stores.
I used boot grease before that, and maybe that's why my 1971 Bates leather jacket is still wearable.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check out the Fox Creek web site for there treatment suggestions. They suggest "Montana Pitch Blend Oil". "Montana Pitch Blend Oil Leather Soap" for filthy leather and "Doc Baily's for abrasions, scratches, fading and cosmetic problems

·
Premium Member
710 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
This stuff works

I bought a small container of this stuff at last year's motorcycle show 'cause the dealer did a free demo on the boots I was wearing. It immediately made my boots look like new (he used the black product, it comes clear and grey also). When I left at the end of the show, it was pouring outside and the water just beaded on my boots. For the past year I have used it on my chaps, jackets, and boots and it is fantastic......and real easy to apply. I just bought my second tub at last month's bike show.
The product is called URAD, imported from Italy. Over the years, I've used a few other products but this stuff is the easiest to apply and lives up to its claims.

http://www.urad.org/DetailsListEng.cfm?ID=1

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
dnewman88 said:
What about good ol mink oil?:huh:
Most mink oil has a large percentage of petroleum distilates...you really should avoid petroleum, it breaks down the leather...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ordered obenauf's small collection today, can't wait to try it out when it gets here, but it sounds like a good assortment for leathers and boots.

Say it ain't so, neetsfoot/ mink oil bad for leather! What is a kid supposed to use on his baseball mitt?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts