V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So where's the best place to get a leather jacket. I would prefer a top quality genuine HD Jacket. Who's got the best prices?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Might check out http://www.chicagoharley.com/. They offer discount on some stuff. Also http://www.accwhse.com/ has jackets.

Are you just 100% set on a h-d jacket(extra cost for the h-d)? I bought a leather jacket from flea market for $200 that is heavier than any h-d jacket I've seen. Thing must weigh about 10 lbs.(I need to see how much actually). Mine has extra padding in shoulders, elbows, and around kidneys, zip-out liner and vents. Mine was made overseas(just like h-d jackets are :( ).

There are other vendors out there with jackets just as well(or better) than what h-d puts out. You can browse around and run across something.

Check the quality real close if looking at flea market or stores local. I went into Wilson Leathers at local mall just seeing what they had(even though I had a jacket) and told guy I needed a motorcycle jacket. He showed me some that weren't much thicker than a windbreaker for almost $200. :eek:

I kept saying, "NO, I need a real jacket to protect me in case I need it."

He kept saying, "This is good quality leather and good riding jacket."

When we left, wife told me I should come back with my jacket and show him what a good jacket was.

I

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you want good quality, don't get HD. All you're paying for there is the name. I have an excellent leather jacket, super heavy, zip out liner, vents. It even has a neck wrap that, when your not using it sticks to the inside liner of the jacket via velcro. I paid $269.00, lots of money(to me anyway). For that kind of money I could have purchased another HD jacket, but this was much better quality. I have an HD jacket I purchased a few years ago, I paid $150.00 for it. It was on a rack for 1/2 price so I couldn't resist. I use the HD one when it's not that cold out.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
try www.leather.com they make a lot of the jackets for CHP and other forces. have heard very good reviews about both quality and service. I think it is the san diego Leather Co., but they managed to get the www.leather.com domain name.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Check out eBay. Got a nice jacket for my wife for $20.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Purchased my Harley "Nevada" jacket from Chicago HD via the web and received 20% off of the price of the jackt and paid no tax.

That alot of money when you are talking about a $420.00 jacket!;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got a real nice Hein Gericke jacket from a place called New Enough, they sell new, last year models. Heck I didn't care pick-up a real nice jacket for $344.

Here's their web page:

http://www.newenough.com/

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's a good site VA V-Rod. Tommy if you want top quality, then be prepared to pay top price. Check out vansonleathers.com and belstaff.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just recently bought a Joe Rocket Classic 88 jacket. Vents, inside pockets for armor, full sleeve zip out liner, snap down collar, heavy, heavy, heavy leather. I was very impressed by the quality, much better than I expected. Bought online at http://www.helmetharbor.com. Guy made me a little better deal than advertised since it was a 2002 model.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It all really depends on the style of jacket you like. I found mine at www.allamericanleather.com . I called and talked to them about it first. It has a zip out lining, it's vented, and is by far the heaviest leather I've found. the price was'nt bad either.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I paid 350 for a genuine hd, and I love the jacket. I suspect this jacket will last a lifetime, it's that good. I had a generic jacket that I bought used for 50 bucks that lasted me for 15 years or more. My wife stuck it in a plastic bag next the othe platic bags going to the rescue mission. You get the picture. I knew that when I bought my next jacket, it would have to last me at least that long...oh and it wasn't going in any plastic bags.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
If anyone is looking for cheap leather (chaps, saddle bags, jackets) try www.i-m-e-x.com. Motorcycle style jackets for $55. Imported from everywhere. Not top quality but what do you expect for $55.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Go over to my Brother-in-laws house Thanksgiving night. Last year, he gave me a nice heavy leather ridnig jacket, clear glasses and a pair of riding gloves. Hekk, they had another baby this year and he might just be waiting to fu(k my sister again!:Dennis

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Lubey said:
Anybody on the forum own a Vanson? If so...what model, likes, dislikes, etc.
Thanks in advance.
I used to own a Vanson in the early 80's (until some f*ck helped himself to it. :mad: ). Vanson's are very high quality leather jackets, but $$$$. I looked into getting another Vanson but it would have been around $800.

I bought an HD FXRG midweight jacket(PN# 98508-99VM).
If this is midweight, I'd hate to see what heavyweight looks like.

wyo

·
Registered
254 Posts
Find a good local leather shop, they will usually have good quality and guaranty the stuff. You'll find them at all the swap meets. Around here H-D "designer" apparel is for the RUB's and wannabe's.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Forget about H-D and get a real MC jacket. You want something that not only looks good but can also save your hide in a crash. This means you need a jacket that can take protective armor. For warm weather climates there is little out there that can beat Vanson's line of perforated leather gear. The drawback, obviously, is that these jackets are expensive, but let's think about this for a moment; Why would you spend $20K or more on a bike and not be willing to spend the extra money on real good safety equipment? Think about it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts