V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Trying to spruce up the look of my leather saddle bags. What are your favorite leather cleaner and conditioning products?

I've tried the Harley Leather Black and their Conditioner and I've tried the Meguiars line but they both leave a dull, dry looking finish. What's out there that will leave a nice clean luster with some water repellency?

Some say to use saddle soap, some say use neatsfoot oil, others say Mink Oil. What say yooz?

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Lots of Good choices .. I use Fiebings which has been around 100+ Years and Tried and Tested by me for 10+ with Great Results

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
i like the sno seal, let it set then towel off. the harley paste works good to..

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
i like the sno seal, let it set then towel off. the harley paste works good to..
Never thought of Sno-seal. Seems that would work well. Sure as he!! would keep water from leaking thru.

Tops of the bags on my RK classic ('99) are sound and in good shape, but the "finish" is kind of patchy looking. Have no idea how to make the finish look even/like new. Anyone have a clue? Like to stop by a leather shop and have'm looked at to see if there's a viable fix.... if/when I think about it, whilst out an about on a nice day.

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
Never thought of Sno-seal. Seems that would work well. Sure as he!! would keep water from leaking thru.

Tops of the bags on my RK classic ('99) are sound and in good shape, but the "finish" is kind of patchy looking. Have no idea how to make the finish look even/like new. Anyone have a clue? Like to stop by a leather shop and have'm looked at to see if there's a viable fix.... if/when I think about it, whilst out an about on a nice day.
get the bags out in the sun warmed right up, wind the sno-seal to em. they won't leak. key is to get em hot, like boots in an oven

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Setter-Givr....I'm a bit hesitant to do/try too much as I don't wanna make matters worse. It's really not all that bad, just enough to bug the he!! out'a me. Oddly enough, the weird look is noticeable in direct sunlight, and not hardly at all while in the garage or shade. Bike is "new to me" as of late October of 2014. It sat for about 13-14 years in the previous owners garage with no use before I bought it, so maybe just dust/grime settled in? I should prolly try saddle soap to clean the tops before anything else.

HeyMan.... sorry - I didn't mean to hijack your thread!!

·
Premium Member
14,468 Posts
Setter-Givr....I'm a bit hesitant to do/try too much as I don't wanna make matters worse. It's really not all that bad, just enough to bug the he!! out'a me. Oddly enough, the weird look is noticeable in direct sunlight, and not hardly at all while in the garage or shade. Bike is "new to me" as of late October of 2014. It sat for about 13-14 years in the previous owners garage with no use before I bought it, so maybe just dust/grime settled in? I should prolly try saddle soap to clean the tops before anything else.

HeyMan.... sorry - I didn't mean to hijack your thread!!
Good chance the leather is a bit dry. I would start with saddle soap to clean off the contaminants that damage and dry leather and then apply a conditioner several times over a few weeks.

Lots of good stuff online.
I love boots and my upland hunting boots get worked hard, but last many years with proper cleaning and conditioning. I finish with a wax based product such as regular shoe polish because I believe it helps prevent drying out. Clean, condition to add back in some water and then seal. This has worked for me.

http://equestrianhow2.com/2012/01/04/how-to-restore-dried-tack-and-old-leather/

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Thanks, Setter for the advice and link. You may well be correct about the leather being dried out. I never thought of that. Like walldo (post 11) I've always used the 303 on leather and vinyl, and have used it on the RK bag tops a couple of times in an attempt to even out the appearance.

Makes sense to start from scratch, good cleaning then go from there!!

·
Premium Member
14,468 Posts
Thanks, Setter for the advice and link. You may well be correct about the leather being dried out. I never thought of that. Like walldo (post 11) I've always used the 303 on leather and vinyl, and have used it on the RK bag tops a couple of times in an attempt to even out the appearance.

Makes sense to start from scratch, good cleaning then go from there!!
Yup--its the contaminants that do the most damage aside from mechanical/physical damage.
Saddle Soap is good stuff, but just wiping with a damp cloth does wonders when done regularly and only takes a moment.
Lexol is a good product as it does not have any distillates in it.

I'm kind of a nut, but I get great relaxation and enjoyment out of taking care of my boots--along with rotating use.
:)
Sorry to be so loquacious, but I like boots.
:cya:

The saddle bags on the Green Classic are easy by comparison. I'm lucky the PO took care of them. They require regular wiping as they pick up road contaminants very quickly.

·
Premium Member
14,468 Posts
I use Montana Pitch Blend leather cleaner on my jacket, chaps, gloves, boots, saddlebags, everything.
Very much like a formula I have for rejuvenating my oilskin garments and gear. The pine tar is a major ingredient.
Beeswax, pine tar, linseed oil and real turpentine.

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
one of the best ways to get the moisture back in leather is,,, shaving cream.. it works good for breaking in a ball glove or regular gloves to..

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
lol,, try it sett,, it works great. if we ran outta neatsfoot oil as a kid my gramp would grab the barbasol..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts