V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you experts or anybody else. I have developed a small leak in my front brake lines at the connector under the triple tree, where the one line splits to two. I have braided lines and when they were installed they leaked a little, my indie said to use teflon tape and it should seal it. It worked for about two years, now it is starting to leak again. What do you guys use to seal the threads on brake lines?
Thanks Dan

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
The seal is supposed to be made by the compression fitting. Tape or telfon paste should not be needed to make a seal. Your brake system is under a lot more pressure than the water coming plumbing.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Leak could come from 1 of 2 sides of that fitting. One side to the line is a cmpression fitting, it seals like 2 snow cone wrappers coming together. If there is a burr or a ding, this may cause a leak. The other side of that fitting goes into a manifold to connect to single line. That fitting is a standard thread. The more you put it on and off, the looser the threads become. You can try 5 or 6 wraps of teflon tape, teflon paste or you could use JB WELD lightly. Determine exactly where the leak is first, don't compound your problem. Once determined, you could buy just that 1 fitting, or line if needed.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As already indicated, teflon tape should not be needed, if it is, you will just be temporarily correcting the symptom, not the problem.
More than likely, the fitting is..
a) not tight enough to make a good compression seal, or
b) there is an imperfection(ie burr) where the fittings meet.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
Just MHO, but I would replace any and all suspect parts with new and take the time to learn how to fit them and bleed your own brakes.

There are a number of reverse bleeding kits out there quite cheap. They work by pumping new fluid in through the bleed nipple on the caliper, rather than the old 'open.....pump....close' method, and are very effective. Bleeding one end takes me literally 3 minutes, and that includes coffee time :D

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
petelogan said:
Just MHO, but I would replace any and all suspect parts with new and take the time to learn how to fit them and bleed your own brakes.

There are a number of reverse bleeding kits out there quite cheap. They work by pumping new fluid in through the bleed nipple on the caliper, rather than the old 'open.....pump....close' method, and are very effective. Bleeding one end takes me literally 3 minutes, and that includes coffee time :D
I did a Yahoo search on "reverse bleed breaks" and found the response to be wanting. Would you happen to have a link to some information on such bleeding tools?

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Now may be the perfect time to check out the BEAUTIFUL braided lines offered by www.magnumshielding.com

Check it out. I agree 100% with xxx and the other guys...teflon tape is not the fix. A good mating/sealing surface is the fix. I just threw in the Magnum Shielding website becasue they have had a lot of good press in here in differnet threads and aslo I have installed several of their items on my Wideglide (Throttle/idle cables)....very nice and smooth as silk.

You might want to try disassembly, clean, and reseat...with just a hair more torque....but not too much. Get your wife out in the garage with you to do a traditional, by-the-book, bleed job. I always put on some CCR or Merle Haggard, pop a cold one, and take my time. Not that I would ever advocate alcohol abuse.....

Good luck,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972-2003

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I did a Yahoo search on "reverse bleed breaks" and found the response to be wanting. Would you happen to have a link to some information on such bleeding tools?
Sure:

General description using home made kit

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/brakes/bleeder/bleeder.htm

A high powered kit good for cars as well

http://www.phxsyss.com/v12.htm

And Eze Bleeder (which I use)

http://www.xtremepowersportsnetwork.com/eshopprod_cat_1675-6071-6380_product_157660.EZE_BLEEDER.htm

But you can get it cheaper with a single syringe from Superior Motorcycles, see on this page for price $19.95 (but no picture).

http://www.superiormotorcycles.com/

Google will give you more sites if you spell breaks as brakes.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
steveusmc said:
Not that I would ever advocate alcohol abuse.....

Good luck,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972-2003
I absolutely agree, Steve, and I think people should be more aware of this,

Guys, never, never, never shout at your beer :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. They are 2 year old Russell braided lines, so I shouldn't have to replace them. I just had the bike in to the Indie while I was on vacation to get new tires on the front and back, he may have accidently bumped them messing with the tire. I trust him, always has done good work for me. I'll try tightening them to make sure they are firm.
Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts