V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 Heitage with some engine mods. I have S/E heads, S/E flat top pistons .005" over. Ev 46 cam. I also installed new rockers, adj. push rods, S/E igniton module and an S/E coil. My problem is I can't get my base gaskets to stop weeping. I have tried cometic base gaskets as well as James Base Gaskets. I don't thimk this has any thing to do with the mods to my eng, but does anyone have any ideas. Could my cylinder studs be stretched?? Should I be changing the cylinder studs eveytime I take the top end apart?? Thanks for you suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
leaky base gaskets

I brought my cylinders to the machine shop to get honed and he told me he had also lapped the bases??!!

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Did you use a cometic base and head gasket?? If so did you use hd head tq specs?? If so that will cause a bit of seepage. You need to end up at 41-42 ftlbs for your final tq spec, then 90* thing will get you 35-37 provided you put oil on threads and under side of head bolt.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
high tack

evocanuck said:
I have a '96 Heitage with some engine mods. I have S/E heads, S/E flat top pistons .005" over. Ev 46 cam. I also installed new rockers, adj. push rods, S/E igniton module and an S/E coil. My problem is I can't get my base gaskets to stop weeping. I have tried cometic base gaskets as well as James Base Gaskets. I don't thimk this has any thing to do with the mods to my eng, but does anyone have any ideas. Could my cylinder studs be stretched?? Should I be changing the cylinder studs eveytime I take the top end apart?? Thanks for you suggestions.
dont be scared of a little high tack spray it is a red sticky glue you spray it on like paint works great mr gasket makes it you should always change your studs if they are torque to yeald

1 - 6 of 6 Posts