V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ALOHA, marooned Doof
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good friend of mine just bought a used 05 Ultra with 15,000 miles and is experiencing water/rain leaks into the tour pack....

I personally, do not have any expertise in this area....Any thoughts on where to start looking and possible fixes?

Many Thanks in advance.

Punky

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Does it have the attched rack on top? If so, check the bolt hole/washers for seal. This could happen on any of the side bolt holes as well. I'd replace all the rubber washers. Of course, I am assuming the MoCo put rubber washers in all of them... if not, get some.

Is there a rubber gasket that runs around the top of the box (where the two halves come together)? May be in need of replacement.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Put some rtv/silicone on holes for rack, if theres not any.

·
Registered
182 Posts
check the two rubber groumets at the forward bottom part of the tour pak. This is where the wires go into the tour pak and perhaps the groumets are not secured. Dan

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
dcman27 said:
check the two rubber groumets at the forward bottom part of the tour pak. This is where the wires go into the tour pak and perhaps the groumets are not secured. Dan
suppose the gasket could be crushed, from closing on cable. I've done this a couple time.

·
ALOHA, marooned Doof
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plain Jane

:hmmm: :duh?: I guess I should have already included that information.:crying: #[email protected]

Unfortunately.... no rack...just plain tour pack.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Couple guys I know have the luggage rack on the 'milk crate'. After several trips,. carrying luggage, the top of the box actually cracked from the weight. (around the holes) Same thang happened on my old Wing and it vibrated a lot less than my HD.
No luggage rack on mine.......ever. Next time an Ultra is sitting at a traffic lite ahead of you, check out how much the 'milk crate' vibrates with just a luggage rack and nothing on it. Add about 20-25 lbs. of weight and the vibration slows, but everything still jiggles around. And all that weight is sitting on 4 , 3/4" legs, drilled thru plastic that was never designed to hold that weight. Then think about the wind forces.....crosswinds and such......IMHO, luggage racks are trouble......and they are HARD to clean under.....

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Couple guys I know have the luggage rack on the 'milk crate'. After several trips,. carrying luggage, the top of the box actually cracked from the weight. (around the holes) Same thang happened on my old Wing and it vibrated a lot less than my HD.
No luggage rack on mine.......ever. Next time an Ultra is sitting at a traffic lite ahead of you, check out how much the 'milk crate' vibrates with just a luggage rack and nothing on it. Add about 20-25 lbs. of weight and the vibration slows, but everything still jiggles around. And all that weight is sitting on 4 , 3/4" legs, drilled thru plastic that was never designed to hold that weight. Then think about the wind forces.....crosswinds and such......IMHO, luggage racks are trouble......and they are HARD to clean under.....
Do you leave home much?
I have strapped right to the fender with a shamy between. Also got bags for my lids. So between those and strapping to backrest I can carry fair amount of stuff. But with two people you need a rack or trunk. I went for week two up, staying motels though. Had bag on fender, scuff mark now. Bungees and nets all over. Tourpaks are so convient.

I can't see anything wrong with a luggage rack. Also theres millions of tour paks out there, people seem pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
berserker said:
Do you leave home much?
I have strapped right to the fender with a shamy between. Also got bags for my lids. So between those and strapping to backrest I can carry fair amount of stuff. But with two people you need a rack or trunk. I went for week two up, staying motels though. Had bag on fender, scuff mark now. Bungees and nets all over. Tourpaks are so convient.

I can't see anything wrong with a luggage rack. Also theres millions of tour paks out there, people seem pretty happy with them.
Yeah dude, I leave home alot. But without a luggage rack on my tour pak.

Besides, my leaving home has nothing to do with my opinion. If your tour pak finally cracks, remember this post. I'm pleased you can't see anything wrong with luggage racks....And out of those millions you discuss, I know at least two that aren't happy.....I can get plenty of sh*t on both my scoots, but without the luggage rack on my 'milk crate'. Over 50,000 miles worth in two riding seasons......And most of the time that I'm 'away from home' , I camp. You gotta carry lots of stuff to camp comfrotably for weeks at a time......I still have room left over.....and I carry a 4 man dome tent cuz two man tents are just too cramped for me. I also carry a small electric heater (in case the campground has electrical hook-ups). Can't be too comfortable when camping....
:corn:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Yeah dude, I leave home alot. But without a luggage rack on my tour pak.

Besides, my leaving home has nothing to do with my opinion. If your tour pak finally cracks, remember this post. I'm pleased you can't see anything wrong with luggage racks....And out of those millions you discuss, I know at least two that aren't happy.....I can get plenty of sh*t on both my scoots, but without the luggage rack on my 'milk crate'. Over 50,000 miles worth in two riding seasons......And most of the time that I'm 'away from home' , I camp. You gotta carry lots of stuff to camp comfrotably for weeks at a time......I still have room left over.....and I carry a 4 man dome tent cuz two man tents are just too cramped for me. I also carry a small electric heater (in case the campground has electrical hook-ups). Can't be too comfortable when camping....
:corn:
I though you meant no tourpak at all. My mistake. I see what your saying the holes can crack in the lid.

For myself, camping need rack. I got two bags that compress, but on the rack goes two air matress and dome tent. Plus whatever else doesn't fit.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
My rack also put some hairline cracks around one of the mounting holes but I am the guilty party having loaded it with 40 lbs of crap about three feet high, lucky the load didn't tear the whole top off the tourpak! I only put the rack on when I gotta haul camping gear now... Plugged the holes with some HD hot toppers, looks alot better without the rack I think!
I can never tell if mine leaks or not cuz i always have a cooler full of beer in there and it sweats so it gets wet in there.....
Pretty sure it leaks but not bad.....

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I too have been guilty of over filling. Theres not alot of support for the rack. Something to keep in mind. Myslef I do like the extra chrome. I got the road king one which is all black. Needs something.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Is it just me... or is the tourpack the biggest piece of shlt Harley ever made? I'm talking about the quality of the product, not its intended use.

I sure see a lot of cracked units out there. How much more would it cost to use a material that will hold up to a little touring?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
A big improvement would to just have some sort of metal up there to back up the legs of the luggage rack. Also the legs of the luggage rack could 'flair' at the bottom , giving more plastic for the legs to bear on. One of my buds is even cracking at the mounting points on a '04 and the MoCo won't do anything about it.....I know I overload my 'milk crate' constantly but the weight is at the bottom, not resting on the lid. And like I said, even my '82 GW Interstate cracked on the bottom and top (Took 15 years, but it did)
I do have luggage racks (Rivco's) on my saddlebag lids, but mostly for the chrome. I have tied stuff on them before, like leathers and sweatshirts.
And 8-ball, you are right. The quality of these thangs is lacking. Especially the hinges.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Even samsonite bags break if used alot. I know, I broke 4 in 6 years. any way how can you expect the moco to sell extra tour packs if they don't brake. :corn:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Saw a tour pak with diamond cut plate on the lid in the center where the inmdenture is. Looked good. No rack. Maybe was covering crack. Might help disrinute weight. The bolts would not be able to move as much, they would all move together and trash it quicker.

Not sure if this is something the guy bought, or had made. Maybe cheaper to have fab shop measrue and cut for ya.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts