V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reinstalled my engine covers after having them powdercoated. Went for a putt and found that I am leaking tranny fluid from the rear of the top tranny cover. seems like an unlikely place, but it's leaking. I re-torqued the fasteners, cleaned it up and between snow storms yesterday I got out for a test run. Still leaking. I used a new gasket and the mating surface is clean and free from any overspray. Anyone have any trouble getting this to seal?
Any tips are appreciated

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
booner said:
I just reinstalled my engine covers after having them powdercoated. Went for a putt and found that I am leaking tranny fluid from the rear of the top tranny cover. seems like an unlikely place, but it's leaking. I re-torqued the fasteners, cleaned it up and between snow storms yesterday I got out for a test run. Still leaking. I used a new gasket and the mating surface is clean and free from any overspray. Anyone have any trouble getting this to seal?
Any tips are appreciated
Could be warped as said. Take it off and put it on a level surface like a piece of glass to check. If it's not warped then obviously you are not getting a good seal, which could be caused by a few things - gasket faulty or not positioned properly, cover not torqued in the proper order or to the proper specs, hairline crack in the cover. Are you using RTV with the gasket? These little leaks are annoying - good luck.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's more than annoying, It sucks a$$.
Can that cover be pulled without removing my pipe? I already hed the off when I removed it before.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
booner said:
It's more than annoying, It sucks a$$.
Can that cover be pulled without removing my pipe? I already hed the off when I removed it before.
Depends on what exhaust you have. Will be tight working quarters with stock exhaust. Give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
If the sealing surfaces are powder coated now also...you might have to sand them smooth .....large piece of sand paper glued to a nice flat surface...work the cover back and forth over the paper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts