V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any tricks to help me stop the frustration of leaking rocker boxes. They are HD originals that have been chromed. Apparently the bottoms are not as flat as they were before chroming. Afraid to grind them and start the chrome peeling.
Can I use automotive silicone to help the gasket seal? I used Cometic gaskets the first time. Now I have a set of OEM's

Thanks

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. It is sitting on chrome build up in the corners, which I am afraid to grind.

TXCHOP said:
Put the cover on a piece of glass and see if its warped or has chrome build up on it. Use a piece of glass and some feeler gauges...

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Put a sheet of emery paper on top of a sheet of glass and sand the mating surface flat. No grinding is needed. You will see when you have scratches all around, and you will be good to go. I have done this in the past.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
raycer said:
Yes. It is sitting on chrome build up in the corners, which I am afraid to grind.
More than likely that's the problem. No choice but to make it flat or replace them with good ones.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
road_king said:
More than likely that's the problem. No choice but to make it flat or replace them with good ones.
I was afraid someone would say that! I guess I will grind them flat and see what happens. I'll never go back to any polished covers , thats for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts