V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 shovel with an 88 big bore kit and an S&S oil pump. It is leaking out of the base of the rear pushrod covers at high speeds. I am thinking about new gaskets, ruber or cork? and maybe even new springs in the covers.

is there anything else i should consider?

everything else is fine....

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ty Whitaker said:
I have a 79 shovel with an 88 big bore kit and an S&S oil pump. It is leaking out of the base of the rear pushrod covers at high speeds. I am thinking about new gaskets, ruber or cork? and maybe even new springs in the covers.

is there anything else i should consider?

everything else is fine....

Thanks
Try the blue silicone seals, and make sure that your crankcase venting is adequate. There are a few other tricks if that doesnt work out.........Bill

·
Registered
84 Posts
They shouldn't leak at high speeds if they don't at low speeds. Sounds like a crank case pressure problem. Check for restricted or out-of-time breather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crankcase pressure

How do i know if my breather is functioning properly? it is a large diameter tube that i can blow pressure into - i can hear it exiting at the lifter blocks, but who knows what the position the breather gear is in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, if you can hear your breath exiting the lifter blocks (that's not much pressure!), crank case pressure is probably not the problem. Find out exactly where it's exiting, have someone spray soapy water there while you blow, and fix the leak.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Scooter said:
They shouldn't leak at high speeds if they don't at low speeds. Sounds like a crank case pressure problem. Check for restricted or out-of-time breather.
I don't know about this statement. I had one that was leaking at high speed and not low speed also. Turned out to be just some dirt that got under one of the o-rings. Cleaned the seal and the leak stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.