V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Curious if you have noticed any leakage from the gasket on the front brake master cylinder? Have an '05 Ultra and while cleaning it up yesterday, I noticed the paint peeling on the edges of MC cover. Looking closer, I noticed the gasket was pissing a little brake fluid by.

Made for a semi-legit excuse for a new chrome cover :(- but this can't be normal.... bike is only about 7 months old and 5k miles!

Anyone else noticed the same? Maybe I just have shitty luck, but you may want to check the gasket anyway; DOT4 brake fluid (applicable '05 and newer only I think) kills paint!

Allen

·
Registered
934 Posts
Got the same thing going on with my bike ('05 EGC). This is really starting to piss me off. Looks like there's a vent or something in the gasket. I don't know if it's supposed to be there or what. Looks like a very and I mean very small hole in the middle of the gasket on the side facing me when I ride. I'm going to question the service dept. next time I get around to my dealership.

Last thing I want is for brake fluid to start dripping on my already scratched to he!! gas tank (scratched from the seat rubbing on the tank). Maybe just another "they all do that" problem, but I don't want mine to be like all the rest.

darrell

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Over tightening those screws can cause problems. Usually, we (I'm a tech) tighten them down just until the gasket starts to bulge out a little, then back off a hair. Don't want it to bulge out, that distorts it and can cause a leak.

·
TL
500 Posts
I had this issue with the rear MC cover. The service manual calls for filling 1/8 below the top. However, it seeped out and I fussed over this for several weeks - cleaning, taking lid off, wiping down, exchanging covers, etc. My fix was to keep the fluid level 1/4 below the top. No more seepage.

If the screws are overtightened, the gasket will lose its shape and cause a leak also.

TL

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Do 2005 touring bike still use the time tested DOT 5 silicone brake fluid? If so it should not affect the paint. Some models were switched over to glycol based fluids in 2005 and this fluid is more aggressive on the paint.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Do 2005 touring bike still use the time tested DOT 5 silicone brake fluid? If so it should not affect the paint. Some models were switched over to glycol based fluids in 2005 and this fluid is more aggressive on the paint.
2005 Touring models come from factory with Dot 4 brake fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts