V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm...

I noticed some fluid on my floor boards after a long ride yesterday...

Checked everything out and then noticed my front calipers were kinda' wet. Felt them, and sure enough...brake fluid.

Cleaned them up, and went to the dealership for a look see. They used an aresol spray brake cleaner to "evaporate" any residual fluid in the bleeder channel, and then wiped it all down and said, ride it a couple of miles.

By the way they checked to ensure the valves were tightened down good, and yup they were...

Anyway, I drove about a mile, stopped and both valves in the front calipers were leaking around the threads...

Dealership states - it may be an easy fix. I hope so...But they're saying they don't see this kinda' thing very often.

Anyone have this same problem? Kieep in mind I just had new ss cables put on, and the brakes had to be emptied and bleed. Plus, this was the first brake work the bike's had.

Bucket..

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Pretty unusual for bleeders to leak. They seal at the tapered seat at the bottom of the hole in the caliper. About the only reason for a leak would be:

1. Dirt preventing a clean seat
2. Crack or damaged bleeder or caliper (likely cause overtightening)

Get whoever installed the new brake lines to make it right. Of course that's assuming the bleeders weren't leaking in the first place.

Bonus: if you see any teflon tape or paste on the bleeder threads after a so-called "repair" ask to see the person that used it and give them a firm b1tch slap. Give one to the manager too while you're at it ;) then get them to fix it right :)

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
thomas_l said:

Bonus: if you see any teflon tape or paste on the bleeder threads after a so-called "repair" ask to see the person that used it and give them a firm b1tch slap. Give one to the manager too while you're at it ;) then get them to fix it right :)

:eek: ...thomas_l , would you mind gettin' to the point :D :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
What happened in the end?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts