V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tranny is leaking. How tough of a job is the main seal in a 4spd? It's the cow pie not ratchet top. Any special tools required?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The link takes me to the you do not have permission page do you know the name of the thread?

Edit: Got off my lazy A** and did a search and found it thanks.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried that and it brought me to "admin must add this domain to white list". The second link does work though.

Looks like I should be replacing the spacer,seal and bushing for good measure. The bike just marks its teritory most of the time but when I go out for a longer ride and get after it pretty good it pukes up a BIG mess all over the back of the bike.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
joeldavid_m said:
I tried that and it brought me to "admin must add this domain to white list". The second link does work though.

Looks like I should be replacing the spacer,seal and bushing for good measure. The bike just marks its teritory most of the time but when I go out for a longer ride and get after it pretty good it pukes up a BIG mess all over the back of the bike.
IMO, it should be disassembled and checked and then determined what needs to be replaced. I assume you mean the 4 gear bushing, this requires the disassembly of the transmission. It is a fair amount of work but if you correct all the issues it will only leak like new when you are done :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
springer- said:
if you correct all the issues it will only leak like new when you are done :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Funny but true. I replaced all my tranny seals last year and it still leaks a little. It's only an occasional drip so i don't worry about it too much. What's weird is it seems to drip less when i ride it every day. I think these old shovels just work better when they are ridden daily.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This one gets ridden daily and usually just drips a bit but every so often I get off the bike and there is fluid all over bike. It drips from under the fender and onto the tire, under the chain guard, off the primary, off the frame and if I keap on riding sprays all over everything else. Clean it up and it's back to dripping it's normal amount.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Toward the very end of the old 4 speed days the company discovered that if they eliminated the standard soft metal lock washer the leaking stopped.
What happens is, the soft locking washer crushes down and the nut loosens. The oil can then creep through the sleeve and around the sprocket.
So they drilled the sprocket for a 1/4" cap screw to jam the corner of the nut. On the rear belt drive models they had an indexable locking washer held by two cap screws.
The old Sturgis models didnt have a puddle of oil under them.
You can easily make this mod if you want by drilling the rear drive sprocket as discribed and not use the locking washer.
How do I know this? I was there!:woohoo:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts