V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tranny that is..........

My tranny is definitely leaking on the primary side: Red Line heavy shock proof is on the floor. By looking at the parts manual for a RK Classic 2004, stock tranny, it seems to me that if the 5th gear seal is leaking then the lube will run down the outer face of the front pulley and if the quad seal area is leaking then the lube will run down the inside of the front pulley. Anybody know? Mine is running down the back/inside of the pulley and I was hoping it was not the quad seal 'cause I don't want to pull the front pulley. Any tips on a quad seal replacement and pullin' the pulley will be appreciated. 25K miles on tranny with a Hayden M6. I know about the new compensator nut tightening procedure with the HD shim but not the aftermarket comp nut add on thingamaflodgy. Muchas grassyass.

Seabrook Trick Bagger

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Imodium!

I thought this thread was about something else... I was gonna suggest some imodium.... sorry.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There was a faulty seal on the primary between inner cover and gearbox on 2003/2004 models that was a warranty issue.............mine was replaced in the first few months I had my bike when I noticed the leak.................not all bikes had the leak.

Happy New Year, Ozzie

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
STB,

Also check the shifter pawl shaft seal. That was my first leak in 20K on an 05 Low Rider. My H-D dealer said they are seeing a lot of this type of leak on the transmission lately. The bushing wears, and the seal starts leaking. Will probably need a new bushing, shaft, and seal. If it is under warranty, let your dealer do it.

Thorns

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Yeah, chances are it is the one that Ozzie speaks of. Pain in the ass to get at, but that's the one that is usually the culprit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ozzie,

Would that seal you mention leak tranny lube or primary lube? Mine is definitely leaking tranny lube.

Thanks.

STB

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I believe the seal Ozzie speaks of would leak primary fluid. After the bike sits on the side stand the oil can take a path of its own, which can sometimes make it difficult to track down the source of the leak. Trans fluid in that area will usually come from the seal that the spacer behind the main drive gear rides on. It could also possibly be the quad seal. Exploratory surgery.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks H. Yeah, it is tranny Red Line heavy shock proof allright. Must be the 5th gear seal or the quad or something else I find a along the way.

STB

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
STB said:
Ozzie,

Would that seal you mention leak tranny lube or primary lube? Mine is definitely leaking tranny lube.

Thanks.

STB
Hello STB, it will leak tranny fluid...............at least mine did.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shifter pawil seal

Looks like, at least, the shifter pawl seal is leaking. I overfilled a cold tranny with Red Line, put a bit of air pressure on it, plugged the breather and voila, fluid running down the face below the shifter pawl. Well, Harley wont fix it under warranty 'cause I don't have a stock engine. Tranny is stock tho. Uh, we gonna have a talk, Mr.Harley D and me. I think the mechanic at HD got "PO'ed" when he asked me "How big is that engine?" And, I just looked at him. I guess the third time he asked it sealed the deal..... .

I have not looked at the manual in a lot of detail, but I suspect taking the pawl out might not be a tranny top cover removal job. Hope so, though.

While I was in there I went ahead and replaced the fifth gear seal. You do not have to take off the belt or tranny sprocket to do it. But you do for the quad seal. Cheap.

Seabrook Trick Bagger

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks.

And thanks for the suggestions guys. It got me to thinkin' and led to the discovery of the problem. Othewise, I would have replaced every seal within reach or otherwise.

STB

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one other thing

Ozzie and GRock:

I looked high and low for a seal between the inner primary and gearbox. If you mean the one located in the inner primary with the bearing, mine is that Rivera sealed bearing and I don't see a seal although one should be integral to that bearing. The other one is see if the fifth gear seal on the outside of the tranmission pulley and the next one is the quad behind the transmission pulley. Before I button it up, maybe you could tell me where it is at so I can check it too. The only other seal I can think of is the one around the stator between the engine and the inner primary.

Thanks.

STB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts