1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FFFBB90D-FCC4-4DDB-BE3F-DC419B5A6A0E.jpeg
22BAC61A-5BC4-4000-A785-E73ED37E645C.jpeg
26962B32-29EE-47DC-A722-91FA350B6097.jpeg
I have a 2000 super glide and I noticed a leak a couple days ago. So I got under it and couldn’t pin point it. I cleaned it up and rode it again and let it sit. Then I could tell it seems it’s coming from an Allen head bolt under the cam chest. It looks like a drain bolt but after some research people said not to mess with it. So I’m just curious on how to stop the leak without removing the bolt. Thanks

·
Registered
17,591 Posts
You're not supposed to pull that plug for routine maintenance. But if it's leaking, pull it, clean the threads really well, and reinstall it with Yamabond or something similar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not supposed to pull that plug for routine maintenance. But if it's leaking, pull it, clean the threads really well, and reinstall it with Yamabond or something similar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Okay, is there a specific torque spec I need to find? Cause I thought you had to be pretty precise with how tight you get it or it could cause issues with oil supply

·
Super Moderator
21,236 Posts
Okay, is there a specific torque spec I need to find? Cause I thought you had to be pretty precise with how tight you get it or it could cause issues with oil supply
I just put blue locktite on them and pull them hand tight. Bout 8-10 lbs. Pull it out with the scooter upright, then after the oil drains out over night, lean it onto the side stand. That way you can get the threads clean and dry.

Before I did that, I would clean that thing up and put some dye in the oil. Make sure that's the leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put blue locktite on them and pull them hand tight. Bout 8-10 lbs. Pull it out with the scooter upright, then after the oil drains out over night, lean it onto the side stand. That way you can get the threads clean and dry.

Before I did that, I would clean that thing up and put some dye in the oil. Make sure that's the leak.
So you’ve done this before and as long as you don’t over tighten everything goes okay? I’ve heard it’s hard to get out and easy to mess it up if you’re not careful

·
Super Moderator
21,236 Posts
That plug has to come out to check for sumping. And we generally put some heat on them before we break them loose.

That's sort of why I doubt its leaking, they are basically epoxied in place. But someone might have had it out in the past. I've seen people try to drain the oil with that plug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 269714 View attachment 269715 View attachment 269716 I have a 2000 super glide and I noticed a leak a couple days ago. So I got under it and couldn’t pin point it. I cleaned it up and rode it again and let it sit. Then I could tell it seems it’s coming from an Allen head bolt under the cam chest. It looks like a drain bolt but after some research people said not to mess with it. So I’m just curious on how to stop the leak without removing the bolt. Thanks
The threads are tapered so do not over tighten , ya could split case, just some thread sealer an snug it up! I've used womens spray deoderant ( with powder) to detect where leak is. Leaves a trail to spot! An bike smells great!!

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
765 Posts
there appears to be oil above there to the left in he picture. I bet it's coming from somewhere else and just running down there slowly when the engine is warm and sitting. that's why the pattern you see around the bottom of the case. That sump plug has rust on it. As mentioned above if you do take it out make sure you heat it first to loosen the sealant. I used red loctite to put mine back in and torqued it to spec according to the service manual but you got good advice on that above from Therm.

Just noticed it's been a minute since this was posted. Hope you've resolved your oil leak by now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts