V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've got an 05 FLHRSI with 19K miles on it and am getting a leak where the shift linkage joins the transmission. Whenever I stop after a ride, I am getting 2-3 drops of oil accumulate under the primary cover.
A friend looked at it and thinks it's the metal clad seal that is leaking.
Has anyone replaced this seal? Does the tranny need to come out?
I called the stealership and they quoted me approx. $375 and they cannot get me in until next thursday.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks guys.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Unfortunately its common. I went with a Cometic seal. HD updated to a double lip seal too. But the bulletin says to use up existing seals first. So you might want to request a new one, not that it will do any good.

$375 seems salty to me. The seal is couple bucks, plus quart of oil. Might as well replace all the seals down there. Main and and jack.

I got complete R&R kit from cometic, better quality around $60, that is with outer gasket, which you don't need. You can reuse them a few times.

I would think a pro could do it in 3-4 hours. 4x70=280, so maybe with gaskets/seals.

Its not that hard to do yourself. Save for winter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Berserker. I've got the shop manual and have been looking through it but have not found anything yet.
Does this require removing the tranny? Any special tools needed?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You have to remove the primary, inner and outer. I took a sheet metal screw, screwed it in and pulled on it with vice grips to get it out. Carefull screwing in. I gueged it. sanded, and 20k so far so good.

I put sme black RTV around it too. Was early spring, and put a heater next to to warm metal and then to cure it. Don't know if nescary.

Comp nut is 1 1/2 I got 6pnt 1/2 drive from auto store imapct grade,but Mcmastrer cars has it cheaper. Manual says not use impact wrench. I used 2' cheater.

Clutch is 1 1/4 REVERSE thread. Get some snap ring plyers and save some hassle.

I shoved a peice of snowmobile slide in primary chain to lock it, hard peice of platic. Block of wood, rag, lots of stuff will work.

Get new lockign tabs for bolts that mount inner primary.

I got lots of pics of this.

PM if you got questions.

Personally, unless it bad, I would wait until winter. Its when they stop leaking you got to worry.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
For future generations, take it for what its worth

I have done it a few times on my 01 FLHR.

Remove the shifter and floor board. My 07 manual says to use a ball allen, for the floorboard mounts. I didn't but I bet it would help.

Outer primary just unbolts.

Comp nut is 1 1/2, that’s the front one. I wanted 6pnt and 1/2 drive, so I got it auto store, impact socket. But McMaster Carr has it around $12.

You need to lock the chain. I shoved a piece of plastic in there. I have heard of cutting boards, wood, and rags. Manual says to use impact wrench as last resort, cause can shake off magnets on stator.

I just used 2' cheater bar. Tie down or have someone hold rear brake. I would do this with the bike on the ground.

Clutch has reverse threads! I think 1 1/4. I used standard socket, but a deep may be better. But it work fine. I would get a pair of snap ring pliers.

Very important do not touch clutch lever with clutch off. The balls will come out of the ramps.

There is a small shim under the comp nut assembly don't forget it.

The jackshaft is held on by 1 bole through center. I tried strap wrench and channel locks on shaft, could not hold it. So I just put channel locks on gear, its very hard metal. There is a locking washing. I reused, but wouldn't hurt to get another, I would.

Not sure if locking washers is right term, to lazy to look. But they got a tab that bends over.

There are also locking washers on the bolts that hold the primary, I would get new one of these too.

While you got it off I would replace main seal and jack shaft they leak too.

I bought a Cometic R&R kit and tranny seal. the primary kit has everything, though it has everything for the last 20 years. But its not hard to figure out which goes to your bike. Does not have locking washer for jackshaft.

When I removed the jackshaft seal, it came out in pieces. I didn't realize I left the metal sleeve in, until after I wrecked the new seal.

You can lube up the seals and tap them in witch sockets, or just bring to a shop.

To remove the tranny seal I screw 1 o2 sheet metal screws in, be careful not knick sides. Then pulled out with vice grips. But just a little black RTV on seal before I put back in. Was cold out so I put heater on before and after.

Manual calls for black RTV on mounting hole for inner primary, that’s the only thing sealing it. Manual also has order for tightening.

The tq value on the comp nut is pretty high, higher then my wrench. 2003 and newer have a new procedure, I don’t know what it is.

Clean threads real, real good, of old locktite. I went to HD dealer and got the exact red that was called for. Different #s are for different size bolts.

I didn't know this but to tq the reverse thread bolts with my craftsman I just turn the handle to it ratchets there way.

I didn't touch the shifter linkage, so just put back on the way it was.

My primary sat on my kitchen table for 6 weeks. I was going to install HB125. Waited until I got it back on bike. The mounting bolt for tensioned started to strip. So never got it on. Wish I would have tried before I put it back on. Never had a tensioned, so not endorsing it.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
As for special tools, I had to get
Snap ring pliers
1 1/2 spnt 1/2 drive socket
black RTV
Red #? locktite
Bigger tq wrench but I guessed
A Cometic R&R kit for primary wouldn;t hurt, could save some money and rdered indvidual, cause you could reuse gasket. But was easy to order.
lock washer for jack shaft
tranny shifter seals. Website shows 10 pack but they do sell indvidually, I would get atleast 2, incase you bugger one. 10 pack was cheap too.
I made a locking tool for chain.

So thats about it, rest was stuff I had.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Hope the pics help. I try to take alot of ics, yuou never know when you put things back together. did this washer, spacer, wire, tywrap go.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts