V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a leak around the rim on my '03 Road King OEM wheels. When the bike was a year old I had to replace the front tire due to sidewall damage from a wheel chock on my trailer (sidewall of tire only). Everything was OK til about 10 months later when I started to loose air around the rim, slow at first now much worse.
Any suggestions about repair? I know on car tires one method is to use glue around the rim on the tire bead then refill. I thought about "Slime" but I don't want balance problems.
Anybody heard of this kind of problem? Only thought I have is maybe the tire lube used to mount the tire caused corrosion on the rim, these are the Mag rims. Rear tire is original and no problems.
Any Ideas??:unsure:
Barrier

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Remove the tire and clean the sealing edge of the rim, that should do it. Check the bead of the tire when you remove it for any damage. Bead sealer would be a last resort if the cleaning will not work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I pulled the tire today, a lot of white corrosion around the tire bead area on both sides. This tire was replaced at Sturgis 2 years ago, they must have used mucho water based lubricant. The rear which is original has no problems. I cleaned both the tire and rim and put a slim coating of silicone sealer on it. Works great but probably will be a B-tch to remove when I need to replace the tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts