V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NTBFW
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to decide on a touring seat for my 04 Super Glide. I had the local dealer in Langley bring in a Sundowner but when he pulled it out of the wrapping it looked like Uncle Buddys leisure suit pants and I didn't even try it on the bike. Corbin is out of my price range, so I was faced with buying a Mustang Wide Vintage Supertour, not a bad choice according to a lot of you. Then last week I saw an ad for the Le Pera Monterey. This looks like a better fit with the styling of the Dyna as it appears to sit lower or at least have a lower profile than the Mustang. It also appears to put the rider further back in the pocket than the Mustang.

The main reason for the search for a touring seat is the comfort zone on the rear of the stock seat leaves mama unhappy after about 2 hours on the road, and we all know if mama ain't happy then nobody's happy. So input on the wide pillion would also be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I have the LePera Monterey with gel on my Heritage Softail Classic and I like it very much. I have mine set up solo, so I do not know how comfortable the pillion is.
The Monterey will set you (on the Heritage anyway) a little bit lower and a little bit further forward. I likethis since my legs are a little short. At first the higher back on the seat seemed too far forward, but after a little bit you forget about it, and then you find that you can ride for several hours and your butt does not get tired and your back does not ache. How much of this bebefit is due to the seat itself and how much is due to the gel, I don't know. I do know I will never buy a seat without the gel since it makes so much difference in comfort.
LePera has an arrangement where they will ship you the seat you are interested in without a covering, then you can install it and mark it where you think it should be trimmed, then send it back and they make you the custom seat. If I had done that, I might have trimmed the back of the seat a little bit.
Come visit me and you can sit on mine and see if you like it!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wish I could tell you how the Monterey is on the SuperGlide, but I only have it installed on an ElectraGlide. All I can say is I love the seat, they modified it to fit me exactly, the craftsmanship is awesome, the passenger Pillion works great for my Mrs. when it is on the Bike and the Saddle looks great when it is set up for solo runs. Definitly worth every penny I paid.

·
NTBFW
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked on the phone yesterday to Ashley at Le Pera. She was very helpful and suggested that I look at the Maverick as well as the Monterey. She is going to send out one of each without covers so I can try them on the bike before deciding. She also suggested the Biker Gel insert and is sending the pillion for the Monterey with that installed.

I could not believe the level of knowledge and attention to detail she offered and can only say that if the product meets the same level of quality as the employee I spoke with my satisfacion is guaranteed. What a refreshing experience to have someone answer the phone and be able to answer all my questions and concerns without being transfered or put on hold. Actually just having a "person" answer the phone is a pleasant change from the usual machines I encounter daily when calling different companies.

·
Registered
404 Posts
They have been an absolute joy to deal with and my customized Monterey is easily the best looking seat and well made seat I've had so far.

I've had several Mustangs and stock HD seats. They have been very good, but the level of customization, fast turn around and excellent fit and finish of the Lepera has made it my first pick for any future seats.

Nothing beats having a seat made exactly the way you like it, I'll never go back to just buying one off the shelf and livin with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts