V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about ordering one for my '00 Ultra Classic. Anyone else tried these, any problems ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I never used one, but it seems that by now they have all the original problems with them corrected.

If you are aware of the limitations, by all means. It's not like you are going to read the thing while you are riding, and you will definitely feel if it's running hot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HIPPO said:
and you will definitely feel if it's running hot.
The only time I felt that the bike was running too hot was in a parade last year, (don't do parades any more). I have been told that the normal temp range for the TC88 is 175 to 225F. I figured the LCD dipstick would be an easy way to check the temp after each shutdown.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone seen a analog temp gauge for the FL's like the ones made for the other models. I prefer the look of the old fashion gauge. The price also!

Tom

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you are concerned with oil temperature the only thing that makes sense is to replace the air temp gauge, which is totally useless, with a oil temperature gauge. Not hard to do and there are gauges out there that are a relatively close match to the OEM gauges.
I know any number of people that are happy with this setup, it just doesn't make sense to me personally, because I pay no attention to gauges. When something is wrong, the bike will tell you, usually before the gauge actually registers it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Changing the stock air guage with an oil temp guage is an easy mod.

Cheapest and best looking oil temp replacement guage is from (of all places) JC Whittney. Here's the part #'s: Guage 12ts6193t Sending unit 12ts6195y. The guage is a direct replacement fit for the stock air temp guage and the sending unit will screw into the casting plug hole next to the oil drain plug (you need to buy the brass reducer locally).

I even pulled the bezels and swapped them out so it's real hard to tell that it isn't a stock HD guage.

Total cost was around $30

Cold Rider

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changing the air gauge for an oil gauge makes sense to me. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I am going that route. Thanks for the tips, and info.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I like the idea of the temp gauge too...wish I wouldn't have went with the LCD dip stick. Oh well...

Anyway, I have only several hundred miles on mine, works good (I assume it's accurate!)...

Mitch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts