V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since from what I have read there is no law against civilians using LEO ammo, does anyone know how or where a civilian can obtain LEO ammo?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
utrvp said:
Since from what I have read there is no law against civilians using LEO ammo, does anyone know how or where a civilian can obtain LEO ammo?
http://ammoman.com/index.htm

40 S/W - 165 GRAIN
TACTICAL JACKETED HOLLOW POINT
LAW ENFORCEMENT AMMO

AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC !

JACKET AND CORE ARE BONDED
TO PREVENT SEPERATION

Tactical Bonded Handgun Tactical ammunition is an edge you can carry into any situation, when the situation leads to a deadly force encounter, rely on your backup, your experience and our Tactical ammunition.

Made exclusively for law enforcement, it achieves accuracy and terminal performance unmatched by any other ammunition today. Tactical is your single, best choice for precision accuracy and barrier penetration.

It offers an extremely accurate hollow point with outstanding weight retention, excellent jacket integrity and consistent 1.5 caliber expansion and performs exceptionally well in shorter barrels.

5 BOX MINIMUM ORDER
MIX OR MATCH ANYTHING ON THE WEBSITE

FREE SHIPPING

Part Number #40-SW165GRT-BX, -500, -1000

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
My Dept. currently issues Speer Gold Dot .40 165 GR. GDHP, which is available from Midway USA among other places.

For the 9mm guys they were issued Federal Premium +P+ 124 GR. Hydra-Shok JHP and currently Speer Gold Dot +P 124 GR. GDHP.

My coworker and personal friend who was on SWAT when they evaluated ammo says that the Speer stuff is extremely good stuff.

You can get any of these loads from a good supplier and they (until next election?!) are available to US citizens.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
kingClassic said:
I don't think there is such a thing as LEO amo.
You're pretty much correct. The only handgun ammunition that is restricted to LE, as far as I know, is ammunition that is designed so that it will pierce bullet resistant vests of a certain material spec. Most high quality hollow point ammunition carried by most LEOs isn't restricted in most states. It seems like NJ prohibits HP ammunition in some way, but I could be wrong.

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
trooper113 said:
You're pretty much correct. The only handgun ammunition that is restricted to LE, as far as I know, is ammunition that is designed so that it will pierce bullet resistant vests of a certain material spec. Most high quality hollow point ammunition carried by most LEOs isn't restricted in most states. It seems like NJ prohibits HP ammunition in some way, but I could be wrong.
Do not forget Cali., no telling what is restricted there.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Winchester Ranger is restricted (by Winchester) to LE -- meaning that the first distributor who buys it from Winchester must sell to either Law Enforcement......or to another distributor/dealer. Once it passes through two distributors, it's open for sale to anybody.
We have ex-law enforcement here at work and the guys say that Ranger is good stuff but basically so is Gold Dot or Winchester Premium defense ammo.
There are online places that sell Ranger if you really want LE ammo. Personally, I've never bothered to get any. The "civilian" stuff works just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
trooper113 said:
Nah Trooper, as usual, you are correct. There is nothing special about ammunition that is "for LEO use only" except it may be low flash or some other B.S. marketing claim. There used to be some ammo back in the 70s that was kinda restricted, I have a box of 1974 .38 SPL 110 gr. H.P. bullets that say "Treasury Department Issue Only" and they were made by Winchester. Nothing special about them as far as I know except they didn't have a lot of flash and were in a nickel case with military headstamp (WCC 74). We also can't forget the famous pointed KTW .38 and .357 rounds that came out in the 70s which were green or black teflon coated metal piercing. Winchester also put out 158 gr. FMJ pointed metal piercing .38 and .375 ammunition that was for open sales. Wow, the good old days when you didn't have to reload to get what you wanted to play with.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
chuckfw said:
Nah Trooper, as usual, you are correct. There is nothing special about ammunition that is "for LEO use only" except it may be low flash or some other B.S. marketing claim. There used to be some ammo back in the 70s that was kinda restricted, I have a box of 1974 .38 SPL 110 gr. H.P. bullets that say "Treasury Department Issue Only" and they were made by Winchester. Nothing special about them as far as I know except they didn't have a lot of flash and were in a nickel case with military headstamp (WCC 74). We also can't forget the famous pointed KTW .38 and .357 rounds that came out in the 70s which were green or black teflon coated metal piercing. Winchester also put out 158 gr. FMJ pointed metal piercing .38 and .357 ammunition that was for open sales. Wow, the good old days when you didn't have to reload to get what you wanted to play with.
I've still got some of each of those....plus a full box minus three rounds of .357 Super Vel 110 gr rounds. Those were the highest pressure/highest flash loads I ever shot in a handgun.

And....good to "see" you again, Chuck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts