V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have to disagree with that statement. The media loves anything you do not hear about often. A traffic accident happens about every few seconds at best. An inner city shooting at least every few minutes. But truely, how often does a biker stir up some real attention, not to often, because the media jumped on it.

There is no real disagreement, one view does not exclude the other, and yes it was newsworthy in part because of how seldom it actually happens.

You just chose to focus in very narrowly on this one event while my statement and the ones that followed are taking the bigger picture into consideration.

Lots of "dogwagging" going on. (go and see a movie called Wag the Dog)

Sorry to hear your friends went down.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Can't say I have heard about the gay raping except for here, which is the same as for Laughlin. I still do not know what happened. If I were to guess, an HA got into with a rival and shot it out. The media has an agenda, but I beleive most over state it. They want what makes them money. If they get a lawsuit over a story, money lost. If noone cares about it, money lost. Money is much more important then anything else in this world.

I will have to check out that movie, I have wanted to for some time.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Sidewalk, The Media had three pressure points.

The Government

Large Corporations

And Media Hounds.

We are spoon fed daily with the garbage that serves the interests of the same. ( So we feed on junk food as a society.)

Sometimes when one is being directed by The Press in what any idiot can see is a well laid plan, it is best to simply go off in a different direction.

Here is a Web Site that if you spend a half hour on you wil surely come away with a strange sense regardless of your stand on the issue.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/deathrow.htm

Good to change gears sometimes, eh?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not arguative, but I have a question. Does anyone remember about 10 years ago, the two boys, age 3 and 4 who were locked in the back of a Hyundai? It was kind of a big deal at the time, because there was no way to get themselves out and they died from the heat. Now most cars have a safety release on them that can be pulled from the inside. Just curiousity only.

The media is something that one can argue on forever. Kinda like oil preference :D, so I will stop here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There's a reason you don't often hear the word "journalism" associated with T.V. News anymore... Just a few minutes ago our local news had one of their "teasers" for the 11 o'clock news where the "journalist" stated, "The birthplace of Jesus is on fire, story at eleven!"

Now... I've been following this story all freakin' day and what the "journalist" said was a flat out fu(king lie! The facts are:

1. The "building" Jesus was born in no longer exists.
2. The Church of the Nativity currently stands on the spot (supposedly).
3. The actual building on fire (or that was on fire) is located NEXT DOOR to the Church of the Nativity.

No matter how you look at it, the statement was incorrect. When I took Journalism in high school (a few moons ago) they referred to this as "Yellow Journalism", where the truth is stretched into a lie to either illegitimately prove a point or peak interest.

I don't post often, but this subject touches a sore spot with me. Today's Media consistently manipulate the truth (either purposely or by not checking the facts) in order to sell more papers, get better ratings, or push public opinion one way or the other. It sickens me. I'd really like to hear Walter Cronkite's (sp?) opinion.

Remember the major networks declaring Gore the winner of Florida before most polls were even closed?

Remember the initial reports of Laughlin stating four people were dead?

Remember-remember-remember...

There was a time when journalist's were generally respected. Today, they're presumed guilty until proven innocent. I'm sure most of them are O.K., but a few (thousand) bad apples have given their profession a bad name. Maybe they should take a few hundred thousand lawyers and re-train them as journalists... It might improve the reputation of both professions...

BTW, if you belong to either of these professions, please do not take the truth personally.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts